View Full Version : Mobile Face Recognition

Jerry Raia
03-03-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/2005/03/01/face-recognition' target='_blank'>http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/2005/03/01/face-recognition</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Omron yesterday announced OKOA, software for camera phones that enables face recognition security. The phone must have a OKOA Vision Face Recognition Sensor to be compatible. To use the unit, the user simply takes his or her own photo... [OKOA] will automatically detect the user and unlock the unit. The verification process takes less than a second from snapping the photograph. The sensor tests successfully more than 99 times in 100, and is fully Symbian, BREW, embedded Linux, and ITRON OS compatible."</i><br /><br />Interesting. I think that phone cameras need to get a lot better than they are now for this to work. I can imagine a group of business people just getting off of a plane making faces at their phones trying to get their expression just right so the phone will recognize them. :lol:

Spatulator
03-04-2005, 06:10 PM
"Omron yesterday announced OKOA, software for camera phones that enables face recognition security. The phone must have a OKOA Vision Face Recognition Sensor to be compatible. To use the unit, the user simply takes his or her own photo... [OKOA] will automatically detect the user and unlock the unit. The verification process takes less than a second from snapping the photograph. The sensor tests successfully more than 99 times in 100, and is fully Symbian, BREW, embedded Linux, and ITRON OS compatible."

Interesting. I think that phone cameras need to get a lot better than they are now for this to work. I can imagine a group of business people just getting off of a plane making faces at their phones trying to get their expression just right so the phone will recognize them. :lol:

LMAO Take a second to visualize this and you cant help but laugh. Great stuff heheh

Mike Temporale
03-04-2005, 06:34 PM
That's pretty interesting. While I agree that there might be some camera quality issues, I think on average, they are good enough for this to work. Besides, you don't have to take a picture of your face. I guess it might work better if you do, but I'm sure it would work fine using nothing more than your hand.

Pretty neat idea.

Jerry Raia
03-04-2005, 06:53 PM
I guess it might work better if you do, but I'm sure it would work fine using nothing more than your hand.

...or other body part. :lol: