View Full Version : MPX220 and Bluetooth Serial Port Profile

dleonard
03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm getting conflicting information when researching this topic, so maybe someone can give me a simple yes/no answer: Does the MPX220 (if purchased in the US) support the SPP (Serial Port Profile) ? Thanks in advance!

Sven Johannsen
03-04-2005, 05:54 AM
I wish I could give you a simple yes/no answer, but this is the best I can do.

I can ActiveSync my MPX220 over BT, which requires connectivity over a serial profile.

I can connect my MPX220 to my Delorme Blue Logger BT GPS and read position and display it on Pocket Streets for Smartphone, which requires the serial port profile.

But, when I scan the MPX220 looking for services from my PC (XP SP2, MS BT implementation) all it shows is DUN.

So, guess it depends on what you want to do.

dleonard
03-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the response sven. I'm writing a .NET CF application for the Smartphone (and PocketPC 2003) operating system that sends and receives information to/from a "dumb" serial device via BT. I'm using an off the shelf control (from www.charonsoftware.com ) that opens a com port dedicated to BT to communicate. I would assume that since some of the apps you mentioned require BT SPP, I should be able to do the same thing. I guess I won't know for sure until I take the plunge and get one. Do your applications (Pocket Streets or ActiveSync) setup modes reference any BT Com port settings on your MPX220?

Sven Johannsen
03-06-2005, 05:44 AM
No they don't actually. Very different experience than with a PPC. In each case, the PC for AS and the Blue logger for GPS, I paired the device from the phone first. Just went to the BT section, new device, discover, etc.

For AS, in Active Sync is a menu option that says ActiveSync over BT. I selected that and since my PC was already set to watch the BT serial input port that I had set up with the MS BT manager, it just connected and sank (sunk, sync'd...whatever)

In Pocket Streets there is a start GPS menu option. Selecting that, initially gave me an opportunity to pick what device I wanted to start. Now it assumes I want to start the Blue Logger. It says Start, but really it is connecting.

In neither case, was I given any comm port options on the Smartphone. Nor is there any built in way of seeing what is going on, or what profile is being used.