View Full Version : Ringtones Being Passed Over For Truetones

Jason Dunn
03-03-2005, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/03/01/946098.html' target='_blank'>http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/03/01/946098.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Ding dong, the ring is dead. Soon you won't even hear ringing at the other end of the line. Most cellphones don't even have a traditional ring as an option anymore. They come with "ringtones" -- beepy song clips of well-known tunes like the Hockey Night In Canada theme, either in "mono" or a more elaborate "polyphonic" format (the latter of which have a backbeat and sound like they're being played on a Casio keyboard). And even they're on the endangered-species list."</i><br /><br />This article, aimed at a Canadian readership, talks about the new "Truetone" explosion where real songs are used for ringtones. Yawn. :roll: I never did the polyphonic ringtone thing - I went straight from a boring Samsung "dumbphone" to my first Smartphone, and immediately put real song clips in WAV format on there. Then I <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/downloads.php">made some of my own</a>. So for me, this is old hat, but I understand the buzz in the Canadian mobile phone scene. We don't have much competition here, and our carriers are notoriously slow at adopting new trends and getting cool hardware into the market. This shows you the difference between the capabilities of a Smartphone from two years ago and today's modern phones - Smartphones clearly have the edge here. Survey time!

dd-mj
03-03-2005, 07:56 PM
You should have added to the poll those who keep there phones on Vibrate. I love ring tones, but the reality is I never have my phone out of Vibrate mode.

I work in an office environment and we charge people $5 everytime thier cell phone disrupts a meeting. It teaches people to turn off the cell phone in the office environment.

Thus I keep my phone on my hip and on vibrate. Thus saddly no need for ring tones.

Mike Temporale
03-03-2005, 08:09 PM
I work in an office environment and we charge people $5 everytime thier cell phone disrupts a meeting. It teaches people to turn off the cell phone in the office environment.

I like the sounds of that. :lol: What about when you're not in the office?

I don't change mine very often, but I tend to stay in the ring ring world.

BR
03-04-2005, 12:07 AM
dd-mj, I like that idea . . . I will have to suggest that to my office except here you would have to pay $5 everytime you left your phone on your desk on vibrate while you are not there. It is sooooooooooo annoying when people leave their desk and their phone is jumping up in the air. :x

Jerry Raia
03-04-2005, 03:30 AM
Mine stays on vibrate most of the time too. When it isn't I go for sound effects usually.

Spatulator
03-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I use midi files always on my phone. They sound pretty good, they are way smaller than wavs so I guess they load up faster. Also wav clips of songs are just annoyingand sound crappy on the tiny speaker. I like to use midi clips that sort of ride the line between songs and ring sounds. Classic video game midis are good for this =)

Mike Temporale
03-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Classic video game midis are good for this =)

Hey... That's a great idea. I think I've just found my latest new mail sound. :mrgreen: Thanks!