View Full Version : speed dial slot #1 for Voice Mail

jdecker
03-01-2005, 12:40 AM
I just got an MPx220 with Cingular service through buy.com and I love it.

My latest question/problem is speed dial slot #1 for Voice Mail. It looks like somebody (Cingular?) has set up the first 5 slot for me:
#1 Voice Mail (appears to dial something like 10 zeroes)
#2 Directory Assistance (dials 411)
#3 Voice Connect (dials *08)
#4 * Now (dials *669)
#5 Pay My Bill (dials *728)

Entry #1 does not work properly. I got the Verizon landline operator when I try speed dial #1. 2,3,4,5 work properly.

I have tried editing and deleting these entries, and got rid of entries 2,3,4,5. #1 I can delete, but now I cannot save anything in the #1 slot. It says this slot is reserved. I want to put Voice Mail there but cannot.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is slot #1 useless, should I put Voice Mail as #2? How do you guys call Voice Mail? Do you just call your own phone #?

Also slot #0 is reserved, but appears to have no functionality.

Thanks,
Jim

Mike Temporale
03-01-2005, 02:32 AM
You can't remove #1 or #0.

Check that the voice mail number is correctly stored in your phone. Go Start / Settings / Phone / Call Options I'm assuming that this is where the #1 shortcut gets it's number from.

Jerry Raia
03-01-2005, 09:07 AM
At this point I would just hard reset the phone assuming you haven't done much with it yet. Get it back to out of the box settings. I was looking through the registry and don't see any obvious way to fix this though there might be one.

Mike Temporale
03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
I don't think a Hard Reset will change anything. The #1 and #0 spot are reserved by default. Check the voice mail number in the location I listed above. It might fix your problem.

Oh, and your speed dial doesn't end at 9, you can go all the way up to 99. So don't worry about not being able to use a number or two. There's plenty. :wink:

jimfee
03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
99 Speed Dial entries? I cant remember 9 phone numbers corectly ....Thats why I need speed dial. now I will need to keep a notebook of all my speed dial entries.... :wink:

FYI My #1 dials a local Voicemail access number

Jerry Raia
03-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't think a Hard Reset will change anything. The #1 and #0 spot are reserved by default. Check the voice mail number in the location I listed above. It might fix your problem.

I was thinking so he could restore it. There is no "number" stored in that location for VM

Mike Temporale
03-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I was thinking so he could restore it. There is no "number" stored in that location for VM

The number comes from your SIM. At least that's the way I have found it to be. Regardless of the phone I have, once I insert my SIM the 1 speed dial location always dials my service provider. Even on my AT&T -Audiovox SMT5600. I didn't have to change anything.

Jerry Raia
03-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Right, but when I look in the speed dial #1 position on my phone it points to an application, not a number. If he can't restore anything to that location the only other way would be to figure out what needs to be done in the registry to restore it. If it were me I'd hard reset unless I knew exactly what to change in the registry. I just don't have much hair left to pull out :lol:

On the other hand, perhaps removing and reinserting the sim card would be worth trying first based on what you are saying.

Mike Temporale
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Right, but when I look in the speed dial #1 position on my phone it points to an application, not a number.

Yup. It should. Since the number is stored on the SIM card and could varry from provider to provider, the Speed Dial app needs a common way to find it. My Speed Dial app points to a application too, it's vmail.exe and it's found in the /Windows folder. I'm certian that this app just looks up the voice mail number from the SIM card. :)

Jerry Raia
03-01-2005, 05:45 PM
So the question is how to get the app back into the #1 position after it's been deleted.