View Full Version : Windows Mobile To Have New Upgrade Mechanism?

Jerry Raia
02-26-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/marcpe/archive/2005/02/14/372192.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/marcpe/archive/2005/02/14/372192.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Is there anything that can be done if a provider refuses to ship an AKU? eg The Orange C500?' Unfortunately not. Microsoft has ownership of the OS components not what goes on the device - the ODM / OEM / MO own the device. The advantage of this model is a competitively (and market) driven hardware inovation. The downside is long lead time to get software out to the consumer and no guarantees that fixes / builds will get on every handset. Although Microsoft can (and does) strongly encourage our MO's to take updates, the final decision lies in their hands. Its an area the MED team has been working on for the next version of Windows Mobile - to separate the upgrade mechanism for bits that Microsoft owns from the bits that the OEM owns. This should mean that Microsoft can offer things like Media Player 10 updates directly from the Microsoft site."</i><br /><br />Originally this appeared on the Pocket PC Thoughts Site. The above snippet is a response to a question about the provider, Motorola for example, doesn't want to ship the AKU (Adaptation Kit Update which is like an Service Pack) for one of their phones, the MPx220 for example. Take a look at the rest of the blog as it is interesting. It does raise hopes up a little that one day we can upgrade parts of our own phones that we paid hundreds of dollars for!

Kris Kumar
02-27-2005, 02:49 AM
I would like to see Microsoft in the driver seat for at least their bits. This way we do not have to be dependent on the slow carriers and the un-interested manufacturers. :rock on dude!:

I would like to see a site similar to WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com, how about SmartphoneUpdate.Microsoft.com. :?:

Spatulator
02-27-2005, 02:48 PM
I think everyone would agree, that is the way it should be. Making phones software unlocked was a great step, this should be next.

Jerry Raia
02-27-2005, 06:01 PM
I would love to see the carriers out of the loop here. I think they are holding back the evolution of this OS.