View Full Version : Peace, Love, And Windows Mobile Smartphone

Mike Temporale
02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Last week we talked about the short comings (http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7617) of our beloved Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. There was a lot of valid concerns raised in that discussion. With any luck, the next release of Windows Mobile will trim that list down a little. We can dream, right? :wink:

This week, I want to know what you like about your device. The install base is growing, so there has to be something right about Windows Mobile that keeps you coming back day after day, phone call after phone call.

One of the things I really like is the extent to which you can customize your homescreen. I agree that it might not be the easiest thing to do, but you have so much power to add plug-ins, change fonts, colours, location, content, labels, etc. I am often changing and tweaking my homescreen to display something new. :mrgreen: This is just one of the many things that keep me coming back. What keeps you using your Windows Mobile 2003 SE?

Bacco
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Mike, for me it's simpler than that. I love the fact that my phone is almost an extension of my PC.

I have all my contacts, appointments and tasks always with me. I also have access to my email accounts and the net.

Finally, my ewallet is just wonderful.

Oh, one more thing I guess...games for my train ride :D

Cattle-Dog
02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
What Bacco said multiplied by over the air syncronization. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/love/2/love10.gif

I also love the richness of the native compiled apps. Death to the various flavors of mobile java!! If I never see a low resolution, slow loading, half useless, rent for 3$ a month application again it will be too soon. Cheers to all the Smartphone developers!

Stinger
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I have to echo what has already been said. Syncing is the killer app for Smartphones. Having the same address book on my PC and my phone is very useful, especially since editing information is a lot easier on my PC. If I ever lose my phone (and luckily I haven't since the day I left my Nokia 8210 in the back of a taxi), I don't have to worry about losing contact with people because I've lost their details.

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Traveling as much as I do being able to get email, keep up with the posts here and even make a phone call :lol: from just about anywhere is still pretty amazing to me.

Mike Temporale
02-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Syncing - Excellent point. I have to admit that I take Syncing for granted. It's one of those things that I do all the time, and just plain expect to have all my contacts and appointments with me. :D

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 07:37 PM
How could I forget that. Using an exchange server for email and contacts and calendar as I do. I keep my phone, ppc, laptop and desktop all on the same page without a thought (most of the time, ok staying positive here :lol: ).

greghaz
02-25-2005, 09:29 PM
And let's not forget the fact that we now only have to carry one device rather than two!

Jerry Raia
02-25-2005, 09:32 PM
I keep my phone, ppc, laptop.......

Why yes of course, one device, exactly. Only a fool would carry more than one device. :oops:

cdcooker
02-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Sync with Outlook is seamless.
WMP10 integrated in the phone make all standalone mp3 players collecting dust at home, especially those flash-based mp3 players. eBay it!
This Smartphone platform has so many room for improvement, it is only going to be better and better in the future.
I can create or download my own ringtones. No way I will spend $1 for 20 seconds ringtones.
Games really rock in Smartphone.

Kris Kumar
02-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Form factor....size.

Islanti
02-26-2005, 07:57 AM
I have a laptop and hx4700 (VGA) Pocket PC already. The Smartphone gives me two big advantages:
1. Familiar sync program (better than my SE T610 too).
2. Form factor. I can and do carry my smartphone around everywhere, which saves me from carrying my laptop and sometimes my PocketPC around.

Mike Temporale
02-26-2005, 02:18 PM
2. Form factor. I can and do carry my smartphone around everywhere, which saves me from carrying my laptop and sometimes my PocketPC around.

I have to agree with all of your points, especially #2. I carry all the same devices (well, I have a 4150 ;) ) and I will carry my Smartphone everywhere. Second most carried item is my iPAQ, and third would be the laptop. My phone is always with me, so size really matters.