View Full Version : Mobile Phone Virus Surfaces in US

Jerry Raia
02-21-2005, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.betanews.com/article/Mobile_Phone_Virus_Surfaces_in_US/1109005073' target='_blank'>http://www.betanews.com/article/Mobile_Phone_Virus_Surfaces_in_US/1109005073</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The world's first virus that specifically targets mobile phones has made an appearance in the United States. Called Cabir, the virus initially appeared in the Philippines about eight months ago. Since then, it has spread to twelve countries and could eventually threaten a significant portion of the 1.5 billion cell phone users worldwide."</i><br /><br />We have talked about this here before and although this one isn't specifically a smartphone problem it is a warning shot. The use of Bluetooth to spread it is important. Being in airports all the time I find so many devices with Bluetooth just wide open that I could have sent a file to.

Airscanner
02-22-2005, 03:55 AM
"Threaten" is a bit of a strong word for Cabir...it gives you two warnings before it installs! So it is not going to be much of a threat.

Worse are "crossover" malware such as Trojans (e.g., the Metal Gear Trojan) that have been coupled with Cabir to spread. But since Bluetooth is limited to only about 30 feet, there is still a natural, physical barrier to rapid spread.

mobile
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Actually, if you receive a virus over BT and subsequently install it, it's your own fault. Who in their right mind presses the "Yes" button when the question "A file has been sent to this phone over Bluetooth. Do you want to accept the file?" randomly appears on the screen? And, on top of that, who in their right mind presses the "Yes" button one more time when the question "Do you want to install this application?" shows up? If you answer yes to both these questions when you, without taking any action, all of a sudden have a file coming to your phone, you probably need the virus to teach you a lesson. :twisted: Moreover, if that file is coming over Bluetooth, maybe the recipient should at least look around him/herself to see who could've potentially sent the file. After all, the person sending the file is most likely within sight of the recipient. Maybe the recipient could walk over to the sender and ask why s/he is sending the file. :roll: :lol:

Aaah, please ... c'mon!

/// mobile

Jerry Raia
02-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Actually, if you receive a virus over BT and subsequently install it, it's your own fault. Who in their right mind presses the "Yes" button when the question "A file has been sent to this phone over Bluetooth. Do you want to accept the file?" randomly appears on the screen? And, on top of that, who in their right mind presses the "Yes" button one more time when the question "Do you want to install this application?" shows up? If you answer yes to both these questions when you, without taking any action, all of a sudden have a file coming to your phone, you probably need the virus to teach you a lesson. :twisted: Moreover, if that file is coming over Bluetooth, maybe the recipient should at least look around him/herself to see who could've potentially sent the file. After all, the person sending the file is most likely within sight of the recipient. Maybe the recipient could walk over to the sender and ask why s/he is sending the file. :roll: :lol:

Aaah, please ... c'mon!

/// mobile

There's a company called Symantec that is doing pretty well because people do this kind of thing all the time :)

Airscanner
02-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah, you gotta hate those damn AV companies...o wait a sec!
8O

But your point about the install warnings is right on. That's why it's so amazing that Cabir is in the wild...it's so hard for it to spread. But I guess human nature will never change (and I myself have been guilty of clicking bad attachments, so I really can't talk).