View Full Version : Can you flash the SMT5600 Firmware?

Klebel
02-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I HATE the AT&T MNode crap on my phone. I want the OS to look just like it would from the factory. Is there anyway for me to reflash the firmware to get rid of their little extras?

Thanks!

Mike Temporale
02-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Not unless you can get your hands on a Audiovox ROM that will work on this phone. Most vendors lock out the installation of other ROMs on their phones.

You could check out this article about removing the AT&T branding --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7335

Klebel
02-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Thanks that is close to what I wanted. Personally I would prefer to just get rid of ALL the branding. Also, the phone I just bought was supposedly unlocked. My service is Cingular and the SMT5600 was on AT&T. Since I put my SIM card in I have noticed that nasty little triangle up on the top of the screen. All my calls are roaming! Do I take it to mean that the guy was full of BS and had not really unlocked the phone?

merwin
03-08-2005, 11:00 AM
No, your phone is definately unlocked if it's working with a Cingular SIM. If it wasn't unlocked, it wouldn't even accept the Cingular SIM in the phone.

The roaming indicator doesn't mean much in Cingular or T-Mobile if you know for sure you are in your home area. I know for a fact that in T-Mobile, with certain sim cards in some phones, a roaming indicator will show up even when you are in your home network.

joeonsunset
03-23-2005, 09:46 AM
All my calls are roaming! The network name should be displayed on your home screen. If you're on either a Cingular or AT&T tower and you haven't left your home area (state, nation), you're fine. If you don't see it on your home screen, just go to Start | Settings | Phone | Networks when you see the triangle. I heard that Cingular SIMs don't show "roaming" when they're on ATTWS towers, but they might. ATTWS SIMS show "roaming" when they're on Cingular towers, even though it's not roaming since the merger.

Klebel
03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Actually. My phone shows me as roaming no matter what network I am on. Cingular or AT&T. My sim card is with Cingular. It's annoy that it constantly shows me as roaming but I have just learned to pay closer attention to the network that it shows me using.

PDADoc
03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Since we're talking about flashing, I had a question that is somewhat related to this:

is it true that one can flash the SMT5600 with the SPVC500 ROM to make the phone 900/1800/1900 instead of 850/1800/1900?

Just curious; I read somewhere (don't remember exactly where I read it, though :?) that it can be done, but you would lose Windows Media Player v10. Just wanted to know if this is true and if there were other possible drawbacks to doing this.

Thanks for anyone's help! :)