View Full Version : Hissing & breaking up voice on Cingular

Vuvision
02-17-2005, 03:07 AM
I have recently purchased two SMT5600 phones and signed up with Cingular. I am not sure whether it is the SMT5600 phones or Cingular, but intermittently calls are coming in with hissing background noise, and/or voice seems to be breaking up at times. These problems happened more often when calls are made from one Cingular to another Cingular line.

I dropped by a T-Mobile store today, and asked to try out their SIM card in my phone try out the quality of their voice. There was a noticeable improvement in the sound with no hissing or breaking up. I am thinking about switching over to T-Mobile before my 30 days trial period.

1) Anyone with these problems with Cingular?

2) Anyone with unlocked SMT5600 using T-Mobile? Also, is there a link to T-Mobile GPRS/WAP setting?

TIA

merwin
03-08-2005, 11:06 AM
My guess is that it's not the phone that's bad. It's probably the connection between the two phones, since it only happens occasionally and doesn't happen in T-Mobile. Does the other end hear the same hissing when you hear it?

As for the t-mobile settings, that's easy to set up. Here is the topic that has the settings:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6743

One thing to note about the settings is that only WAP comes with your account by default on T-Mobile. The setting that is listed as "The Internet" with an Access Point of internet2.voicestream.com will not work unless you specifically add that feature to your phone (currently something like $20/month).

Vuvision
03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I've since switched over to T-mobile and the reception was night & day ... much happier with T-mobile now.

Regarding T-mobile setting for GPRS & proxy, I've discovered a setting for the proxy that connects to the internet. With the $4.99 tzones service, I was able to surf the web & have access to POP3 mail with no problem. See link below for setting.

http://wap.x2-hosting.com/t-zones/

mpaquette
03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
1) Anyone with these problems with Cingular?

I'm a T-Mobile customer that is currently "trying out" Cingular for 30 days. I have an i-mate SP3i, which I believe is identical to your 5600 on the inside. I haven't noticed any of the problems you mentioned, but I haven't called any other Cingular customers yet. Overall I would say that my call quality on Cingular has been good.

2) Anyone with unlocked SMT5600 using T-Mobile? Also, is there a link to T-Mobile GPRS/WAP setting?

I used the links posted above to set up T-Mobile GPRS on my SP3i. I do pay T-Mobile for the $19.95 unlimited data plan. Everything works well.