View Full Version : Windows Media Player To Be Loaded On Nokia Phones

Mike Temporale
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/14/technology/nokia_microsoft.reut/?cnn=yes' target='_blank'>http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/14/technology/nokia_microsoft.reut/?cnn=yes</a><br /><br /></div>In a surprise move, Nokia has agreed to load Windows Media Player on it's future handsets, and Microsoft has agreed to work on a open standard for media players.<br /><br /><i>"The world's largest mobile phone maker Nokia and software company Microsoft struck a deal Monday to make it easier for consumers to buy digital music on-line and play it back on their handsets. In a comprehensive agreement, which involves a separate deal with digital media company Loudeye, Nokia agreed to put Microsoft's music player software into its handsets. In return, Microsoft (Research) will introduce open standards for digital music compression and piracy protection in its Media Players for personal computers."</i>

aristoBrat
02-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Woah woah woah. I thought today was Valentine's Day, not April Fools Day?!?

WMP on Nokia?! Wow...

Mike Temporale
02-14-2005, 09:23 PM
What better day could there be for announcing a new partnership than Valentines day? :wink:

Mr.Phil
02-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Hmm... OTA ActiveSync, Windows Media Player agreements. Also cutting a deal with Macromedia for their flash player... and announcing Symbian 6 platform availability for device developers. Nokia looks to be making some serious plays in the smartphone arena this month. But where is it going? Positioning themselves similarly to MS Mobile?

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 02:32 AM
But where is it going? Positioning themselves similarly to MS Mobile?

Exactly. I think Nokia has seen the light, and realized that they don't have everything that the public wants, and they've realized it early. Not like Palm. People want music, and the enterprise wants email. They're making the moves now to ensure that they can compete.

RenesisX
02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Nokia got very scared by the Apple/Moto link-up, or they would never have agreed to form a truce with one of their enemies.

Interestingly Microsoft have agreed to put AAC audio and OMA DRM support into Windows Media Player so you'll be able to transfer AAC music from your phone onto your PC and have it play without trouble.