View Full Version : Suggestions for a Bluetooth GPS Unit

Mike Temporale
02-14-2005, 02:46 AM
I haven't decided if I really want or need one, but I was wondering what you guys would suggest if I do decide to pick one up. I'm running a C500/5600 phone. I don't know if that makes much of a difference.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Kris Kumar
02-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I haven't tried any of the Smartphone specific kits (GPS + software).

But I have the Socket BT GPS (http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0822-523.asp) (softare for PPC), works well.

Also I have a love and hate relationship with Socket. They do not have the best support. They recently put out the revised hardware and updated software. But existing customers cannot get the updated software. :-(

The latest Socket BT GPS hardware is a good benchmark. Use it to compare other vendors.

Vuvision
02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
I am in the market for a bt gps as well. Did a search and found this Holux Bluetooth GPS Receiver GR-230 for around $119 on Semson.com (http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/holbluetgpsr.html)

I also found a favorable review on this Holex gps below.

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/holuxgr230.php

Mike Temporale
02-14-2005, 09:22 PM
I found this one (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=smartphonetho-20&path=tg/detail/-/B0002DODZ8/qid=1108412371/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) on Amazon. It comes with Microsoft Streets and Trips. So, I'll be getting the software and the GPS unit for a little over $100. We'll see if it's any good.

Vuvision
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
I found this one (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=smartphonetho-20&path=tg/detail/-/B0002DODZ8/qid=1108412371/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) on Amazon. It comes with Microsoft Streets and Trips. So, I'll be getting the software and the GPS unit for a little over $100. We'll see if it's any good.
Has overall positive user reviews. However, this unit lacks bt & voice. But for $100 with map included ... sounds like a bargain. That said, dropping the usb cable for bt would be so cool.

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Has overall positive user reviews. However, this unit lacks bt & voice. But for $100 with map included ... sounds like a bargain. That said, dropping the usb cable for bt would be so cool.

I really wanted Bluetooth, but I figured for the price, this would be best. It gets me a unit to play with and if I really get hooked, then I can move along to a Bluetooth unit down the road. I'm looking at it as a starter GPS. ;)

Kris Kumar
02-15-2005, 03:43 AM

If you are looking for the GPS hardware, I believe this one is a pretty nice deal. The only problem with Streets and Trips is that its little cousin the Pocket Streets does not offer trip routing, i.e. turn by turn navigation with voice prompts.

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 04:09 AM
I don't expect to use this in the car or anything like that. I'm just looking to play around a little. ;)

Cattle-Dog
02-15-2005, 06:21 AM
I don't expect to use this in the car or anything like that. I'm just looking to play around a little. ;)

...but I thought you were looking for "Suggestions for a Bluetooth GPS Unit"? I wish the MS S&T package came with a BT GPS unit myself. I'd definitely give it a try. I have a serial Magellan and a copy of Street Atlas. However, I feel Street Atlas has been taking two steps backwards for every one step forward lately, while MS finally has been getting it in the mapping world. ...at least as far as laptops and my humble opinion anyway.

Point being... I'd love to give S&T w/ a BT GPS a try, especially being as I could use it with my SmartPhone. Long trips... laptop with full routing capabilities. Local trips to somewhere new... moving map on SmartPhone. How I envision it anyway. :wink:

Mike Temporale
02-15-2005, 11:44 AM
...but I thought you were looking for "Suggestions for a Bluetooth GPS Unit"?

I do want a Bluetooth GPS, but they cost a fair amount more. I figure this is a good first step GPS unit. If I find that it's something I want to expand and use with my phone, then I'll ebay this and move up to a real GPS. ;)

homeLAN
02-16-2005, 12:37 AM
The GPS receiver that comes with Microsoft Street and Trips 2005 is the Pharos GPS-360. There's a BT adaptor for this unit for $99.95:

http://service.pharosgps.com/shopping/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

Mike Temporale
02-16-2005, 02:25 AM
COOL 8) Thanks homeLAN. If I do decide to extend my GPS expereince, I can easily add on Bluetooth! Sweeet. :mrgreen:

lurch
02-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Mike, do you have a Pocket PC? I have a copy of TomTom that I'd be willing to let go for pretty cheap along with a GPS device (non-USB, it's got an HP Jornada-specific adapter, but if you're adventurous you could re-wire the adapter plug for your particular pocket pc).

When it comes to S/W, TomTom has won me over bigtime!!

Mike Temporale
02-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks Lurch. I do have a Pocket PC - iPAQ 4150, but I'm trying to reduce my dependency on it. :wink:

lurch
02-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I hear you. I reduced my dependancy on mine by selling it so I could buy a smartphone. :) That's called cold-turkey!!!

Mike Temporale
02-16-2005, 07:10 PM
I can't do that yet. I need WiFi on my phone before I can cut the cord on my Pocket PC. I use it everywhere in my house, especially in the middle of the night, when the kids wake me up and I can't get back to sleep. :)

vikings
04-25-2005, 02:43 AM
I just ordered a bluetooth Holux GR231 for my Audiovox 5600 ($100 with shipping from ebay), but I'm still shopping for software. The Delorme Street Atlas Handheld looks the best so far. Let's keep in touch and see how it works.

ix666
07-26-2005, 06:03 AM
Holux is the way to go. I used it along with my SX66 to map and paint a 500 mile bicycle route in OH the last June.

It works great. No problems at all.

ix666

Sven Johannsen
07-26-2005, 04:45 PM

I really wanted Bluetooth, but I figured for the price, this would be best. It gets me a unit to play with and if I really get hooked, then I can move along to a Bluetooth unit down the road. I'm looking at it as a starter GPS. ;)

Mike, that comes with a Pharos 360 unit with only a USB interface, so to play you will be stuck with your laptop. Somewhat fortunately, you can get serial, CF, and BT adapters for the basic unit from pharos. Unfortunately it is a bit big if you get the CF adapter, but is unusual in that it has a CF extension cable, letting you get the puck away from a PPC. It's actually a pretty good unit. I have the basic, the serial kit for iPAQ, and the CF adapter. Haven't sprung for the BT sled, because i already have the Delorme, Blue Logger and the older Socket model (black one, not blue one).

*Note to folks seeing the USB extension comment. It won't extend any CF card. The CF thing plugs in, converts to serial and the cable is really a serial extension to the puck. The puck can also plug directly into the CF adapter so it is one complete unit.

BTW, I'm pretty impressed with DeLorme's Blue Logger. Locks quickly and hangs on well. That's about all you can expect of the receiver. The real whiz bang is in the software on the PPC, SP, PC, whatever.

Jerry Raia
07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty pleased with my Socket BT GPS. I'm using it both on my 5600 and PPC (4705). I'm using gpsdash, mapopolis and streets on both platforms.