View Full Version : Audiovox 5600 Smartphone & Gaming

breyburne
02-11-2005, 04:12 PM
HI,

I am interested in purchasing the Audiovox 5600 however I have one concern regarding the rocker switch for playing games. I have many games left over from my Samsung i600 ,i.e. Pocket Minigolf, etc. Will these games play okay on this device-since there is no traditonal d-pad controller?

Please advise me.

Brgds,

Brad :D

Mike Temporale
02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
I haven't really installed any games on my device I have pocket Mini golf around here someplace... I'll have to give it a try. I don't think it would be a problem, once you're used to the rocker switch anyway. :)

Jerry Raia
02-11-2005, 04:39 PM
You haven't tried Flux Challenge yet???? Mike! :twak:

Mike Temporale
02-11-2005, 05:27 PM
:oops: No... I'm still working through a list of other real applications that I need to install. I hope to catch up this weekend. :wink:

Mike Temporale
02-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Ok, I installed Skyforce at the end of the day yesterday, so I could play it on the train ride home. Well, it sucks. Gaming on this phone is horrible. :( Well, I shouldn't say horrible. If your game doesn't require fast responses, and left / right movement, then it's a great gaming device. :wink:

If gaming is what you want, then I would strongly suggest getting the SP3i (or T-Mobile SDA). Basically it's the same phone with a different case and a joystick instead of this rocker switch.

Jerry Raia
02-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Flux Challenge probably wouldn't play well either. :(

Mike Temporale
02-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Flux Challenge probably wouldn't play well either. :(

Ya, it would suck too. Up/Down are ok, but any quick left/right/action movements are horrible.

joan_fl
03-25-2005, 02:30 PM
The rocker is quite bad even for navigating applications. Love the phone though :)

Mike Temporale
03-25-2005, 09:03 PM
The rocker is quite bad even for navigating applications. Love the phone though :)

Really? I think it's great on applications. Just the games that suck.

joan_fl
03-25-2005, 11:29 PM
think it's great on applications
I dont know how many times I wanted center click, accidently right, or left clicked.. especially in the application I use most.. the "Contacts" screen, selecting choose to call someone turns into chaging their default to work, home or email.

Again I love the phone, though I find the rocker seriously flawed for both games, and applications.

Vuvision
03-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Second joan_fl regarding the rocker switch. By far the SMT5600 is the best phone that have owned, that said I refuse to be an apologist for HTC. The rocker switch suck the big one any way you look at it. Until this day, the down select button is still a hit & miss for me from time to time.

Soon as T-mobile brings the below beauty over from across the pond, my STM5600 is heading for ebay city. :wink:

SDA II
http://www.coolsmartphone.com/images/stories/sda-on-tmobile.jpg (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news1329.html)

joan_fl
03-26-2005, 12:03 AM
T-mobile brings the below beauty over from across the pond

Not to keep bashing the SMT5600.. I love the phone. But I much prefer TMobile to ATT/Cingular... but I guess that's a whole other topic.

Mark Larson
03-26-2005, 12:26 AM
I kinda get around that by using the number shortcuts for selecting something, rather than the action button on the rocker. Its still a pain in the proverbial, though.

Vuvision
03-26-2005, 06:14 AM
T-mobile brings the below beauty over from across the pond

Not to keep bashing the SMT5600.. I love the phone. But I much prefer TMobile to ATT/Cingular... but I guess that's a whole other topic.
Yep, couldn't agree more with you. I signed up with Cingular for all but one week, horrendous reception along with continuous drop calls lead me to make the switch over to T-Mobile. Plus, only $4.99 unlimited t-zones to boot :way to go: .

Mark Larson
03-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Umm, not to be a spammer, but is there a place I can get some nice games for the Smartphone? I like the default game, but I'd really like to play something else ;)

If you don't want to post it, my PM box is open... :twisted:

Mike Temporale
03-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Umm, not to be a spammer, but is there a place I can get some nice games for the Smartphone? I like the default game, but I'd really like to play something else ;)

I would start by checking out the Front Page Software Forum (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3) and then check out the websites of the developers. There are lots of games for the Smartphone. You can also find them on our affiliate store (http://www.smartphone.net/smartphonethoughts) under the games catagory. :wink:

sabatinojr
04-02-2005, 04:04 AM
Does anyone know the limtations of buying an unlocked phone that was for AT&T and using it with Cingular? I am a business owner and would be using it primarily for checking my POP3 emai, Oulook syncing,contacts and calender. I just do not want to get he unlocked phne be limited i guess i woudl rather just go with teh MPx220 if there was any limitations. Any info woudl be appreciated.

Mark Larson
04-02-2005, 08:24 AM
I believe there are no limitations in the AT&T branded SMT-5600. There's no guarantee that the Cingular version will have all the apps and features that the AT&T version had ;)

I believe that AT&T, while somewhat evil, didn't change phones' firmware much to remove feature - I remember that the AT&T T616 had the GPRS signal indicator bars and the 3-way conference calling enabled. The T-Mobile T610 I had didn't have these two features.

Anyway, the SMT-5600 is very easy to de-brand, since there weren't a lot of AT&T customizations anyway.

joan_fl
04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I remember reading somewhere that hen you unlock the 5600 the voice mail notification no longer works as in an VMail icon displaying, but sends you a text message. You may want to keep asking what the issues are with not using the 5600 with AT&T/Cingular are.

Mark Larson
04-11-2005, 07:58 AM
T-Mobile has SMS notifications for voicemail, so that might be why you are seeing SMS. If you go to Cingular or any of the T-Mobile markets that have the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator o_o ) your phone will receive voicemail notifications as the reel icon, not as SMS.

Jerry Raia
04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
T-Mobile has SMS notifications for voicemail, so that might be why you are seeing SMS. If you go to Cingular or any of the T-Mobile markets that have the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator o_o ) your phone will receive voicemail notifications as the reel icon, not as SMS.

Which is how I get them on Cingular, with the o_o