View Full Version : One guys mpx220 review

dd-mj
02-07-2005, 07:30 PM
I wanted to post my review of my recently purchased MPX220. I have read just about every mpx220 review, but I still think it is worth adding my 2 cents.

On Friday I received two MPX220's, one for my wife and one for me. I purchased them from Wirefly for $299 minus $300 in rebates - so two phones for free - I could not resist. My service is the Cingular in the San Jose/Bay Area. The MPX came with the all the latest firmware 1.30 etc.

Now keep in mind that I have been a MS mobile user for years. (Velo1, Casio e-10, and Compaq 3535 and 3750). So I had a good idea of what to expect from MS.

The out-of-the-box experience was very good. Since I already had Activesync installed, I simply plugged the phones in and whala all my Outlook data was transfered. Now since I had two phones, I needed to do a little web search to find an way to change the phone's names so Activesync could differentiate between the two phones. Thanks to regedit http://www.airfagev.com/downloads1.asp?id=78 for the application.

The reason I purchased the MPX220 was I wanted the following features in this order;
Good quality phone with good receptions (we were using Verizon prior to Cingular)
MP3 player so my wife could excersize and listen to music.
Camera - so we would never again miss that shot.
Pocket Outlook - replacement of our old Pocket PCs.

So what how did the phone do meeting my requirements;
1. Reception at my house is terrible. Now this may be a Cingular issue, but both phones get barely one bar in the Los Gatos area. So essentially I can't use my phone at home. I am in the low-lands so I fully expect a very strong signal at home. I get full strength with Verizon. In general driving around the bay area yesterday, reception and recpetion quality was mixed. Verizon with my Moto T720 was always very good.

2. I was really looking forward to using the Windows Media Player. The audio quality is great, so I immediately ran out and purchased a 256 MB mini-SD card so I could download lots of music. Unfortunately MS WMP 9 does not automatically organize the music into playlists. I fully expected the downloaded albums to be grouped by Album, Artist, Genre etc. If nothing else I expected to be able to sync up the playlists. I use MS WMP10 on my PC. So what this means is that if I download 5 albums, I have no way to quickly select the album or artist I want to listen to. I consider WMP9 a total waste for that reason. I hear WMP10 fixes this, but it is not available for the MPX220. :(

3. I did not expect the camera to be great. Indeed taking pictures indoors is a waste of time, but outdoor well lit pictures are OK. I did not expect - the camera definitely could be better, but it is oK.

4. PIM - the phone is great at an Calendar, phonebook email tool.

Summary:
I am going to send the phone back. Why? Unless I can use Cingular in my house, there is no point is in switching from Verizon. I need to figure out if it is phone or the service. As a complete integrated device, I give it a 2 stars our of 5. WMP is the biggest disappointment. It is fine for one or two albums, but not as an iPod Mini-replacement. Maybe WMP10 will fix this, but I hear there are no guarentees that the MPX220 will get the upgrade.

I would appreciate any feedback. I looked around for a WMP replacement, but did not really find anything which addresses my issues.

tsaylor
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
That's too bad about the signal strength. Reviews I've read have said reception on that unit is pretty good, so I'm guessing it is a Cingular issue in your area.

For playing MP3's you can look into purchasing an alternate player (software). I've been using PocketMusic and I really like it. There are some other alternatives out there too.

rdecker
02-07-2005, 11:31 PM
I concur with your comments on the media player and camera.

I have not yet seen a phone camera that is near as good as dedicated camera. The main reason is the quality (optics) of the lens.

I have an SMT-5600 with WMP 10..It is very good..Not sure why it is not included in the MPx (the 5600 came out earlier)....I have not heard about an upgrade..Would be sweet if that happened :D .

Sorry to hear about the RF..The RF on the MPx is about the best i have had in a GSM phone (and I have had a lot of them).

Ralph

cortez
02-08-2005, 12:07 AM
too bad about the reception... i normally don't rely on signal strength when making a call. i simply make a call and check signal strength ONLY if i experience problems with the call.

camera...nice that it's part of the phone. i have yet to use it.

media player...it plays MP3's when i need them.

PIM (calendar, eMail & contacts)... big, big plus for me. these features are invaluable in my line of work.

(last but not least) Cell Phone... despite the early problems with this handset, my current device has worked very well as a cell phone.

in a nutshell, i agree that if the reception is bad, the other features are simply irrelevant.

rdecker
02-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Really sounds like his reception problem is network, not phone, centric.