View Full Version : Question on charging with USB cable

cdcooker
02-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I just got this phone. I tried to use the bundle USB cable to charge the phone. The charging amber light will go off if I press buttons on the phone. The light will become flashing green light, even thought USB cable is still connecting the phone to the computer. Is it normal and the phone is still charging as long as the USB cable is connected, even thought the light is flash green?

Thanks

Mike Temporale
02-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Are you talking about the Audiovox 5600?

I think the green light means it's all charged. The USB charge cable is nice, but it it slower to charge than the power adapter. So I just use the power cord now.

cdcooker
02-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes, I meant 5600. Now I think I got the idea that the LED will be flashing green once it is fully charged. I just got this phone, I don't expect it has been fully charged already, so I was kind of confused yesterday.

BTW, I have a retractable USB cable, and it works great with this phone too. It can charge and sync the 5600. Very nice. I like this type of cable as I attach it to my monitor USB hub, when I need it, I pull it out, and when I don't need it, retract it and no more clutter on the desk. Also, this is the same type of cable that I can use with my Canon digital camera. Now one cable serves multiple purpose.

Now I need to learn how to customize my phone!

Mike Temporale
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Yes, I meant 5600. Now I think I got the idea that the LED will be flashing green once it is fully charged. I just got this phone, I don't expect it has been fully charged already, so I was kind of confused yesterday.

I was surprised when the phone came fully charged - or close to it. It's a nice touch.

I haven't purchased a retractable cable yet. I plan to in the near future, but I haven't had much time yet. :)

cdcooker
02-07-2005, 12:19 AM
The USB charge cable is nice, but it it slower to charge than the power adapter. So I just use the power cord now.

I plugged the phone with the USB cable, after 8 hrs, the phone was still not fully charged (and I doubt it was charging at all, as the icon had only one bar when I unplugged the phone. While the icon showing it is charging, but the light is flashing green, instead of a steady amber light. So the phone is charging or not in this situation? According to the manual, the amber light will keep showing until the phone is fully charged, but this time, the phone is not fully charged, but it is showing flashing green light.

I tried both my retractable USB cable and the bundled cable.

Mike Temporale
02-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Oh... That's odd. I'll have to watch closely next time I charge using the cable. I don't know that I have ever got a green flashing light using the USB cable.

How full does it get? When I do use the USB cable it's usually only for a short time to get a little something-something into the phone to make it home to my power cable. :)

cdcooker
02-07-2005, 05:29 PM
May be you can help me to verify this:

Everytime I use the USB cable to connect the phone to the computer, the amber light will stay on for about 1 minute, after that, it will change to flashing green, no matter whether the phone is fully charged or not.

Thanks

cdcooker
02-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Let me answer my own question here. I found out it is the problem of the USB hub on my Dell monitor. If I plug the either USB cable to a USB port on the motherboard, or those ports directly connecting to the motherboard like the case USB ports, the charge LED on my SMT 5600 will change to solid amber or green color, depends on the stage of charging.

Even though the USB hub on the monitor is self powered, it cannot charge the phone.

Mike Temporale
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Even though the USB hub on the monitor is self powered, it cannot charge the phone.

Wow, ok. I never would have guessed. I'll have to keep that in mind. :?

cdcooker
02-14-2005, 05:56 PM
I found a weird problem this past weekend when I left the phone connecting to the computer using the USB cable, while the computer was off. Not only there was no charging signal (it makes sense to me), but the phone was completely discharged on the next morning. And when the phone is completely discharged, the USB cable can't charge the phone, as it looks like it can only charge the phone while the phone is turned on.