View Full Version : Smartphone OS

me
02-01-2005, 05:31 AM
What is the difference between the Smartphone version of Windows Mobile, and the Pocket PC Version?

Does the Smartphone version have the "NOtes" function in Outlook?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 06:16 AM
It's a fine line. The two are based on the same code, but have different user interfaces. There is no touch screen on the Smartphone. The Smartphone also has 2 soft keys, while the Pocket PC doesn't.

Notes is not present in the Smartphone version. Most programs are written for one platform or the other, and the developer needs to port the application to the other platform.

Does any of this help?

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Pocket Word and Excel are also not on the Smartphone.

skibee
02-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Agreed, but anyone who needs these features should be looking at a PDA rather than a Smartphone.

Jerry Raia
02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Agreed, but anyone who needs these features should be looking at a PDA rather than a Smartphone.

True, unless you just need to look at them. Even then it can be a trying experience with such a small screen.

Mike Temporale
02-08-2005, 08:02 PM

True, unless you just need to look at them. Even then it can be a trying experience with such a small screen.

Sure, but it would be nice to have a light weight viewer so you can check out attachments that are emailed to you. I can't imagine doing any serious word docs, or spreadsheets, but it would be nice to view a couple. :(

skibee
02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
LOL. Definately. I suppose as the technology evolves, we'll get more of tehse features. All in all, i'm not complaining. Cellphones do just about everything but the laundry these days.