View Full Version : Iliumsoft NewsReader - Any Users Out There?

ebelen1
01-31-2005, 03:48 AM
I love Avantgo on my PPC, which does not have Wifi or Bluetooth. I just like being able to turn my PDA on and read the news.

I just got the Audiovox smartphone and noticed that NewsReader from Iliumsoft does the same thing as Avantgo. I loaded the trial and it brought up news; however, it only brought the headlines and the first two sentences of the article.

From Ilumsoft's website, it says that you can sync and read later. This was always my intention but I can't figure out how to get the whole article unless I launch the internet function on the phone. I don't mind paying for unlimited usage if I use it but it is so slow. I'm use to broadband and I know that my smartphone still has a ways to go to increase throughput.

Long story short, does anyone use NewsReader like Avantgo? If so, can you let me know how so that I can set it up correctly? Thanks.

Kris Kumar
01-31-2005, 04:11 AM
I haven't run into that feature. :? So I would also like to know about it.

But I believe the destkop based Smartione (http://smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6988) lets you do what you are looking for.

Mike Temporale
01-31-2005, 04:12 AM
The amount of information provided to NewsReader is based on the sites RSS feed. Some sites provide the entire article, while others only provide a sentence or two, and some provide nothing more than the heading.

Jerry Raia
01-31-2005, 08:11 AM
In short, no news reader will be like AvantGo, which is not available on a Smartphone anyway.

ebelen1
01-31-2005, 04:10 PM
The amount of information provided to NewsReader is based on the sites RSS feed. Some sites provide the entire article, while others only provide a sentence or two, and some provide nothing more than the heading.

Then, my question is does anyone use this program and know the specific sites that feed the entire article. I like having the articles handy when I'm sitting around. I don't need every website or every article, just the headline news (but more than 1-2 sentences would be great).

Thanks everyone for fast feedback to my queries.

Jerry Raia
01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Depends on what news you are interested in. :wink:

Santa Fe
01-31-2005, 07:36 PM
I tried it and didn't really care for it. Used up to much of my battery life and I had to tunnel into web sites to get more than the most basic headline. It is not nearly as good as Advango but as Jerry said that isn't availble.