View Full Version : Does the SMT 5600 work in Canada?

bryhawks
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Now that I have a Tablet PC, I'd really like to pair it with a Smartphone, and this one seems to be the one from everything I've read (at least until Samsung ships their 3GB HD-havin', Magneto-based unit...). But does it work in Canada? It should work on Rogers and Fido given that it's GSM, but how exactly would one go about doing this? Where could I buy it and what would I have to do to get it functional (i.e. would I have to get it unlocked? Can I use my current FIDO SIM or do I need a new one?)

Mike Temporale
01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
does it work in Canada? It should work on Rogers and Fido given that it's GSM, but how exactly would one go about doing this?

If you already have a Fido or Rogers SIM (which I think you do based on your comments below) just insert your SIM, and you're good to go. If you want to use GPRS, you'll have to configure the Data settings but that's pretty easy.

Where could I buy it and what would I have to do to get it functional (i.e. would I have to get it unlocked? Can I use my current FIDO SIM or do I need a new one?)

I bought mine off eBay, and then had it unlocked so it could work up here. The whole process was very easy.

j8chan
01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
mike are u saying it does work, man.
i went to pacific mall and everyone there said that if it gets unlocked i wouldn't be able to get a provider. but if u are in canada and are using the phone, that give me great pleasure to hear

Mike Temporale
01-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Then the guys at pacific mall don't know what they are talking about. It works fine.
1 - Buy the phone from ebay, or where ever you like.
2 - Unlock the phone (search these forums and you'll find a couple places that do it online and unlock it within 5 minutes)
3 - Drop your Fido or Rogers SIM into the phone and away you go.

If you don't already have an account with Fido or Rogers, just go down, and sign up. Take whatever free phone they are offering. When you're new Audiovox is working, put the free one anyway on a shelf in case you ever need a backup phone. :D

j8chan
01-27-2005, 09:10 PM
thanks alot mike, u are my hero
i bought the phone for 280 us, and getting it soon.
does everything work, including connecting online?

Mike Temporale
01-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Yup. You have to get it unlocked and then configure the data settings. Who are you with, Fido or Rogers?

j8chan
01-28-2005, 08:35 PM
i'm going to go with fido, cause my gf is with them
and i'm geting that sony ericson for free then,
how long did it take u to get going with your phone?
i'll search the forum for the data settings then, thanks alot

Mike Temporale
01-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Once you have everything, it shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes. Go sign up with Fido now, so you're ready. Then when your phone comes, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to unlock it. Insert your fido SIM and you're done. :D

j8chan
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
it worked, thanks for the input mike, now all i have to do i try and figure out how to use the 300 functions it has

Mike Temporale
02-08-2005, 07:48 PM
it worked, thanks for the input mike, now all i have to do i try and figure out how to use the 300 functions it has

Excellent! So now I'm not the only guy in the GTA with one. :wink:

As for learning how to use that powerful device, just keep reading this site. There's always new tips and advice being posted. :D

j8chan
02-09-2005, 08:18 PM
actually, i'm not in GTA, i'm in waterloo, and travel to toronto every weekend. i'm thinking of going to pacific mall and showing off, lol. i read that u got a 1 gig mini card, where did u get it from? and how much, do u even use half of it? is one gig overkill? or do u just like all the extra space

Mike Temporale
02-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Actually, the 1GB is in my iPAQ, and I have a 512MB miniSD in my 5600. I got it from eCost. Teh 1GB miniSD cards are just too much money, right now anyway.

My 1 GB SD card is full of music. I mainly use that for MP3 playback on the train ride. The 512 in my 5600 is pretty empty right now. I only have about 20 MB on it, and it's mostly applications like Lextionary, Leonard Maltins Moview Guide, and stuff, pictures from the camera, screen captures for reviews, etc...

I've been meaning to transfer some music over to the 5600 and try the one device route, but I still need the iPAQ for a couple applications. So until I replace those, I might as well make good use of the 1GB card. :D

j8chan
02-15-2005, 10:04 PM
i have now put in a 512 card, and am using it as a mp3 player. all is well and i have shown off my phone to some ppl. one of them wants to buy it from me, lol.
just for the record, total cost,
ebay phone, 300 usd
unlocking phone, 48 cad
512 card, 100 cad

thanks alot mike

on another note, i dropped it on the pavement, :cry: now there is dent mark on the corner of my phone.

Mike Temporale
02-16-2005, 02:17 AM
thanks alot mike

No problem. Glad to hear you like it! 8)

on another note, i dropped it on the pavement, :cry: now there is dent mark on the corner of my phone.

8O Noooo! You should look at getting a Martin Fields Silicone Jacket. I have one on my device, and I love it. Great protection, for a great phone. :mrgreen:

Here's a link to my review --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7381