View Full Version : Newbie to SmartPhone & MPx220: Got some questions

Bala Pitchandi
01-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Well, I finally decided that I too need a Smartphone and has bought a Motorola MPx220 with Cingular today. Although I am quite tech-savvy, I am unable to figure out the following with my new toy:

1. How do I transfer all my phone numbers from my old phone (SE T616) to MPx220? I tried SIM transfer -- MPx wouldn't recognize AT&T SIM. I tried BT transfer *send all* and no luck there. Do I have to *beam* them over one by one? :x (I've got close to 250 entries in my phonebook)

2. How do I sort the contacts by their firstname instead of their lastname?

3. Should I install the ActiveSync from MS website or the one that came with the phone?

4. The camera in my MPx220 is horrible indoors - I cant see anything (My firmware version is 1.30) on the screen *viewfinder*. I saw a few posts regarding the camera problem with 1.30. Anything that I can try to improve the camera performance?

5. Is there a "Automatic Time/Clock Synchronization" feature with MPx220 (I thought this was a basic feature in all GSM phones)? (I had to manually set the clock to current date/time)

6. What other software applications do you guys have on your MPx220 other than the pre-installed ones?

Some of these questions may already have been answered. I did a search but could not find satisfying answer (maybe a FAQ of some sorts would be helpful for newbies like me)

Thanks in advance for your time and replies

Cheers
Bala

Andrew
01-19-2005, 07:26 AM
There is a newer version of ActiveSync on Microsoft's site, 3.8 I think.

Mike Temporale
01-19-2005, 03:26 PM
1. How do I transfer all my phone numbers from my old phone (SE T616) to MPx220? I tried SIM transfer -- MPx wouldn't recognize AT&T SIM. I tried BT transfer *send all* and no luck there. Do I have to *beam* them over one by one? :x (I've got close to 250 entries in my phonebook)

If you already have them in Outlook, then they will be synced to your phone using ActiveSync. If they aren't in Outlook, I would suggest getting them into Outlook. It's a whole lot easier to manage your contacts. Is there an application that would Sync with your T616? If so, it should be able to export your contacts, and then simply import them into Outlook.

2. How do I sort the contacts by their firstname instead of their lastname?

You don't. There isn't much need for sorting them as they are searchable. From the Contacts screen, just start pushing buttons that correspond to the name of the person you are looking for. First name, last name, or phone number, it doesn't matter. When you push the keypad buttons, you don't have to push them more than once. If you wanted to search for Mike, just push 6-4-5-3 and the phone will filter your contacts to anyone that has a name/number containing the letters found on those keys.

3. Should I install the ActiveSync from MS website or the one that came with the phone?

It's always safer to install the one that came with the phone. If you are going to install the one from Microsoft's site, make sure it's newer than the one on your CD. I think Microsoft has 3.8.x something and the CD should be 3.7.x. The difference is nothing noticeable.

4. The camera in my MPx220 is horrible indoors - I cant see anything (My firmware version is 1.30) on the screen *viewfinder*. I saw a few posts regarding the camera problem with 1.30. Anything that I can try to improve the camera performance?

Not to my knowledge, but I don't have a MPx220. :) I would suggest that you make sure there is a fair amount of lighting for indoor shots.

5. Is there a "Automatic Time/Clock Synchronization" feature with MPx220 (I thought this was a basic feature in all GSM phones)? (I had to manually set the clock to current date/time)

I believe the MPx220 does not support this feature.

6. What other software applications do you guys have on your MPx220 other than the pre-installed ones?

There are many, many threads on this. Check out this recent thread (http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7287) for a discussion of some of the top applications from 2004.

Hope that helps.

Bala Pitchandi
01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks Mike for the replies.

I have transferred my phonebook over using outlook as you had suggested. A few more questions:

1. Can I lock the volume key on the side? I keep pressing them while I hold the phone.

2. Is there predictive texting (like T8 in T616) in MPx220? If yes, how do I enable it?

3. Where can I find some good leather cases for MPx220?

4. Is it worth to buy the insurance for the phone from Cingular?

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers
Bala

Kris Kumar
01-20-2005, 01:03 AM
2. MPx220 has iTAP (Moto's own implementation of T9). Hold down the * key changes the input mode. You go from number to text to iTAP. While entering any data, look in the top right corner of the screen (next to the signal meter), you will see "123", "abc", "ABC" and "abc". When the text is underlined, you are in iTAP or predictive text mode.

Mike Temporale
01-20-2005, 04:04 AM
Sorry, I don't have any answers for you on those questions. I don't have a MPx220 and those questions are pretty much focused on that specific phone. ;)

gacajun
01-21-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks Mike for the replies.

I have transferred my phonebook over using outlook as you had suggested. A few more questions:

1. Can I lock the volume key on the side? I keep pressing them while I hold the phone.

2. Is there predictive texting (like T8 in T616) in MPx220? If yes, how do I enable it?

3. Where can I find some good leather cases for MPx220?

4. Is it worth to buy the insurance for the phone from Cingular?

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers
Bala

1. I don't think you can lock the volume key setting
2. Answered in previous post.
3. Cingular sells a leather case for the MPx220.
4. Cingular does not sell insurance on PDA/phone combinations. I had a T600 and now a MPx220 and both of them are not elligible for Cingular's insurance coverage.

RabanJr
01-21-2005, 06:15 AM
To lock the volume button you just have to hold down the call end key. This will lock the buttons on the phone. Then you just push the top left soft key and then the pound (#) key to unlock.

Allan

Mike Temporale
01-21-2005, 02:06 PM
To lock the volume button you just have to hold down the call end key. This will lock the buttons on the phone. Then you just push the top left soft key and then the pound (#) key to unlock.

Allan

Does this work on flip phones? I figured it was just a candy-bar thing.

little john
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Works on my MPx220...

~lj

RabanJr
01-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes, it works on my mpx 220 also.

Allan

Bala Pitchandi
01-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys... I am starting to like my MPx a lot... even though the camera is literally unusable.

gacajun: I am unable to find the Cingular case that you are referring to. Do you have a link? Cingular website gets my *Most user-unfriendly website* award!

RabanJr: Thanks for the tip on how to lock the keys. It works like a charm.

Cheers
Bala

Kris Kumar
01-22-2005, 06:11 AM
Regarding the case, have you seen this one..

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48676#48676

Bala Pitchandi
01-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Kris: Thanks for the pointer. I looked at the case. It seems a bit larger/clumsy to my liking.

Got few more newbie questions:

1. Can I synchronize with Activesync using Bluetooth?
2. Can I upgrade to a newer firmware version myself or do I have to send the phone back to Moto?
3. How do you guys listen to MP3s from the phone? Do you need to buy a special headphone for MPx?
4. Where can I find deals on MiniSD cards?

Mike Temporale
01-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Kris: Thanks for the pointer. I looked at the case. It seems a bit larger/clumsy to my liking.

Got few more newbie questions:

2. Can I upgrade to a newer firmware version myself or do I have to send the phone back to Moto?
3. How do you guys listen to MP3s from the phone? Do you need to buy a special headphone for MPx?
4. Where can I find deals on MiniSD cards?

1 - Yup, check out Kris's front page post on this. http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7365&highlight=

2 - If you don't have 1.3, and you're not with Cingular, then you have to contact Moto.

3 - Normal 2.5 mm ear buds should work. Does the moto come with ear buds??

4 - All over this site. I keep seeing people post links to different vendors. Search for minisd and you shouldn't have any problems.

:D

Kris Kumar
01-25-2005, 01:39 PM

I believe Mike meant this one. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7403&highlight=activesync+bluetooth) ;-) Check out the first two posts in that thread.

Mike Temporale
01-25-2005, 02:02 PM

I believe Mike meant this one. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7403&highlight=activesync+bluetooth) ;-) Check out the first two posts in that thread.

:oops: Thanks Kris, Too many Bluetooth posts lately. I'm starting to get them all confused. ;)

Bala Pitchandi
01-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks Mike & Kris, I have successfully setup the bluetooth synchronization.

BTW, some more questions:

1. How do I see the missed call time? It just shows the caller id but no time on when that call was received (missed).
2. Is there a way to see how much talk time & standby time is left in the phone battery?

Kris Kumar
02-01-2005, 01:29 AM
1. Select the CallerID/Name for which you would like to see the time details. And then press down on the center of the joystick/joypad (the Blue action button).

2. The Smartphone does not show the remaining standby/talk time. (I liked that feature in my last Sony Ericsson phone). The only way is to look at the battery symbol in the top row iconbar. Or maybe install a third party battery monitor app, which may give a better battery level meter. I rely on an app called xBar for the battery level meter info.

Someone out here may have a better suggestion for the battery meter.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Normal 2.5 mm ear buds should work. Does the moto come with ear buds??

Unfortunately no. I got the buds for the v710 from Moto and they work fine on the MPx220.

Bala Pitchandi
02-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Ah... the blue button, I keep forgetting that. Its unfortunate that the OS does not come with all the features that you'd expect on a cellphone. I kinda dislike the fact that I have to buy a third-party application for my mobile for such basic features like battery time etc.

More Qs:

1. How often do you guys charge your MPx220?
2. How do I setup one-key dialing for my "most-often dialed" numbers?
3. Can I setup personalized ringtones for my contacts? If yes, how do I do that?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 06:13 AM

Sorry, don't have a MPx220 so I can't say. But this really does depend on the amount of voice calls you use, and how much your play with it. If you leave it sitting around and don't touch it - I would say a while. Just a guess, though. :wink:

2. How do I setup one-key dialing for my "most-often dialed" numbers?

Check out this article --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5880 it will walk you through the process.

3. Can I setup personalized ringtones for my contacts? If yes, how do I do that?

I can't confirm this, but I would expect that it's the exact same as the Audiovox. So try this and let us know how it works out. --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6567

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 06:45 AM

It has a Lithium Ion Battery. The more charging cycles, the faster it wears out. So I plug it in at every opportunity. This type of battery doesn't like to cycle.

Kris Kumar
02-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Usually every second night I plug it in for charging before I hit the bed. But there are times when heavy usage forces me to charge it every night.