View Full Version : Smartphone registry question

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Smartphone newbie question... does the registry get cluttered up as it does with Windows and PPC when uninstalling programs and such? Are there any Smartphone utilities to "clean" the registry?

Kris Kumar
01-18-2005, 03:23 AM
The registry does get cluttered a bit. Depends on the programs and their uninstall routines.

But I am more concerned about folders and files left behind. Because Smartphones have very little memory. So every KB counts.

I don't think there is any app for cleanup. I hope some developers picks up the idea. 8)

I do the following, everytime I uninstall an app.

- Check the Registry
HKLM\Software\<company name>\<AppName>
or
HKCU\Software\<company name>\<AppName>

- Check the file system
\Storage\Program Files\<company name>
or
\Storage Card\Program Files\<company name>

- Check the following folder
\Storage\Windows\AppMgr

The last folder contains uninstall log file etc. Once the app is removed, if this folder is there, definitely nuke it.

Of course as a safety backup the Smartphone before you do anything. Just in case. ;-)

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey Kris. Once again, thanks for the helpful tips. Looks like I've got some "cleaning" up to do, but I think I'll wait until a few days. As mentioned in another of my posts (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7355&sid=d5b72117474ebba86b36a80c5d4bdb2b), I've been having some trouble with my 256MB Sandisk MiniSD card. On the possibility that it may be a Sandisk problem, I just bought a 512MB ATP card from ZipZoomFly. Should be in-hand Thurs. or Friday. I plan on uninstalling/reinstalling everything then.

Jerry Raia
01-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Check the following folder
\Storage\Windows\AppMgr
I had no idea that was there. I cleaned up so much junk that was sitting in that folder. Great tip there Kris :)

boomer_sooner
01-21-2005, 06:25 AM
Check the following folder
\Storage\Windows\AppMgr

The last folder contains uninstall log file etc. Once the app is removed, if this folder is there, definitely nuke it.

Whenever I try to delete anything from this directory, I get an 'access denied' error. Doesn't matter if I do it on the phone or via Activesync. I've even unmarked the files as SYSTEM and ARCHIVE, but still can't delete them. Even after resetting the phone! Any suggestions?

Kris Kumar
01-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I know for sure that you cannot remove these folders from the desktop PC using ActiveSync.

On the Smartphone using an explorer, just ensure that System, Hidden, and Read Only are all un-checked or not selected. Archive I believe it does not matter.

NOTE: Also ONLY the folders for uninstalled programs must be deleted. Do not remove a folder for an app that are you still using.

dmt
05-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm new to this. how do you edit the registry on WM2003?

phoenixag
06-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi Kris,

I have tried in the past as well as just now, to remove folders from my Windows\AppMgr directory. Although I managed to remove the folder of 1 program I had uninstalled, most folders (of programs I have uninstalled) contain 1 .tmp file which does not delete and it gives me an error.

I am using Smart Explorer.

Can you tell me what to do to delete these files? I have tried quite a lot of things but always come to a blank.

Thank you :)

Transfxb
09-13-2005, 11:14 PM
I was also stuck but I found a solution for WM 2003 se:
Launch Tweak2k2 smartphone, then Menu/Security and check the box
You will be able then to delete those .tmp files.
Go back to Tweaks2k2 and uncheck the box.
That's it.

Please, pass along this trick as a lot of us seems to be stuck with these files.

TransFXB