View Full Version : MiniSD trouble

boomer_sooner
01-17-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm having problems moving mp3's to my 256MB SanDisk MiniSD card in my MPx220. I've tried 3 differnet ways of transferring - Activesync thru BT and USB, and putting the card in it's SD adapter and using my HP all-in-one w/card reader. Each time, I can put 10-12 mp3's in a directory before I get an error saying the files can't be written to the card because it's low on space (when it's not really). I can create a new folder and put 10-12 more mp3's in there before I get the same error again. Not only that, but I can refresh the contents of a particular directory on the card and watch it change with each refresh (i.e., one time I can see all my files, another I can only see any random number of them). I'm starting to think the card is toast, however each of the programs I have installed on the card work just fine. I know the MPx220 has had it's fair share of problems, but I haven't come across anyone with an issue with the MiniSD capabilities. Anyone else run across a problem like this? I've let WinXP format the card to FAT and I've also formatted it using Resco Smart Explorer on my MPx220 and got the same result both ways. Even some of the mp3's that I know copied successfully won't play in WMP9 or Betaplayer. The error I get is "unknown file type".

RabanJr
01-18-2005, 01:36 AM
I have had the same problem.

#1. Reformat your card.
#2. Defrag your card.

This should help some.

I have heard in another thread that people using NON-SanDisc card do not have the problems that the SanDisc have.

Good Luck.

Allan

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the tips. Should I defrag the card using Windows or is there a Smartphone utility for this?

The brand name was my main reason for going with this MiniSD. Go figure.

Kris Kumar
01-18-2005, 03:37 AM
I have never heard of this one. But since you have tried even the card readers, I don't have any suggestion, other than trying another card.

I have SanDisk 256MB, havent had any problems. But have never excercised it to the limit by a lot of file transfer.

If you are looking for suggestions, here is a crazy one, have you tried copying files in batches of 4 or 5. ;-) Maybe its a throttling issue. :lol:

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Well, I hope a new MiniSD card will solve the problem. Just bought a 512MB ATP card from ZipZoomFly. Should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll follow-up here once I get a chance to try it out.

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 03:43 AM
If you are looking for suggestions, here is a crazy one, have you tried copying files in batches of 4 or 5. ;-) Maybe its a throttling issue. :lol:

Looks like you and I posted at the exact same time, Kris. You're hot on my trail! :wink:

Anyway, I have tried to copy files in batches, as you suggested - no dice. What's funny, is it's always when I get to 12 or 13 mp3's and it bombs. I can go back to the root of the card, create a new dir and put a few more files there before it bombs again. WMP and Betaplayer only randomly see and play all of the files. The same music plays fine on my Axim X30h and desktop WMP10. Like I mentioned, I'm hoping my newly-ordered ATP card solves the problem.

Kris Kumar
01-18-2005, 03:50 AM

Looks like you and I posted at the exact same time, Kris. You're hot on my trail! :wink:

Anyway, I have tried to copy files in batches, as you suggested - no dice. What's funny, is it's always when I get to 12 or 13 mp3's and it bombs. I can go back to the root of the card, create a new dir and put a few more files there before it bombs again. WMP and Betaplayer only randomly see and play all of the files. The same music plays fine on my Axim X30h and desktop WMP10. Like I mentioned, I'm hoping my newly-ordered ATP card solves the problem.

Sounds like a format gone wrong. :?

The File Allocation Tables does not have room for more that 12 files.

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 04:00 AM
So what should be the proper format? I've used WinXP to format to FAT32 until I had problems and read that FAT was a better format for Smartphone. When I still had problems with a FAT format, I let Resco Explorer 2003 format it. Not sure what file system it uses.

Kris Kumar
01-18-2005, 04:26 AM
So what should be the proper format? I've used WinXP to format to FAT32 until I had problems and read that FAT was a better format for Smartphone. When I still had problems with a FAT format, I let Resco Explorer 2003 format it. Not sure what file system it uses.

I believe it is the regular FAT (which is also known as FAT16).

FAT32 is most definitely wrong. :-( Haven't used Resco.

Looks like the FAT32 did the damage. Try putting it back on the XP box and reformatting it with FAT instead of FAT 32.

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 04:41 AM
Well, I tried FAT after I realized the FAT32 format didn't work. When that didn't work any better, I formatted with Resco. Still see the same results. I'm starting to think that if it's not a Sandisk problem, maybe I just got a bad card. :?: If not with FAT32, I should've seen something different with the FAT or Resco formats.

Sorry if I'm making this more difficult than it really is, but what do you mean by "the File Allocation Tables does not have room for more than 12 files?" If FAT is the proper file system, but it has a 12 file limitation, what good is that?

Kris Kumar
01-18-2005, 03:36 PM
If I remember my old DOS days correctly, FAT based formatting puts in a limit on the number files per folder 9or maybe it is the root folder). That is why Windows went from FAT16 (the original DOS format) to FAT32. And some digital cameras use FAT12 an even smaller version. But the FAT16 limit is definitely not 10-12 files, it is much much higher. So maybe your card got formatted with FAT1. :-)

Just be careful with the new card. Do not format it to FAT32. Stick with FAT16.

boomer_sooner
01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I definitely won't do the FAT32 format again. I'll either let Windows format it FAT16 or see if it works any better with a Resco format.

Kris Kumar
01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
My recommendation, don't format. Just delete the folders and files you don't need. Or do a delete all. :-)

I have never formatted anyone of my cards. I just delete the "Program Files" folder, if I am reinstalling apps. The rest I keep.

boomer_sooner
01-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Good idea... I'll just start using it out of the package and see how it does. I'll give it a few days after I get it and let you know how it works out.

mike2190
01-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Good idea... I'll just start using it out of the package and see how it does. I'll give it a few days after I get it and let you know how it works out.

Here's a thought - Does the phone have a built-in formatting utility?

I don't have a smartphone yet, but my digital cameras both have utilities to format the memory cards in the device. I would expect phones to do the same thing.

boomer_sooner
01-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Here's a thought - Does the phone have a built-in formatting utility?

Not that I've found. The only format utility I came across was in Resco Explorer. I've used it to format my Sandisk card, but have had the same problems as with the WinXP formats through a card reader.

RabanJr
01-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Here is one that I have used and it works pretty good. http://panasonic.jp/support/audio/sd/download/sd_formatter_e.html

I do agree wih Kris though, try the new card without formatting it. I hope that it works out. I am going to get a 512mb card and I hope that it does not share the same fate.

Allan

boomer_sooner
01-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Okay... after about 36 hours of playing with my new 512MB ATP MiniSD card (bought for $64-something shipped (FedEx 2nd day) from ZipZoomFly.com), I have to say something definitely isn't right with my 256MB SanDisk card. I put about 60 mp3's on the ATP card last night with no problems at all. Listened to just about all of them throughout the day today with no errors or partially played files. I've also installed several programs on the card and everything works as I'd expect it to.

So... either my SanDisk card was defective from the beginning, I screwed it up by formatting it with WinXP, or there is a compatibility problem with the card and the MPx220. I contacted SanDisk the other day via e-mail to see what kind of service I can get from them in honor of their 5 year warranty, but have yet to receive a reply.

Mike Temporale
01-22-2005, 01:17 PM
They should exchange it for you even if you did format it from WinXP since that shouldn't hurt the card. The only downside is that it might not be a compatible file system. :wink:

Keep us posted on how SanDisk handles things. I've heard that they have a bad record when it comes to longevity of their cards.

boomer_sooner
01-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Got my RMA # from SanDisk today. Looks like they're going to replace the card for me. Not only that, but I have instructions to go to SanDisk's website to print my pre-paid FedEx return label! I'll follow up after I get the replacement card.

Jerry Raia
01-27-2005, 05:50 AM
They should exchange it for you even if you did format it from WinXP since that shouldn't hurt the card. The only downside is that it might not be a compatible file system. :wink:

Keep us posted on how SanDisk handles things. I've heard that they have a bad record when it comes to longevity of their cards.

I think that might be changing, I have quite a few of their SD cards and they are getting to be over a couple years old. They used to seem to fail right about at the one year point. So far my MiniSD and Transflash from them are also doing well. I even have a (cough) SanDisk Memory Stick. :oops:

RabanJr
01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Okay... after about 36 hours of playing with my new 512MB ATP MiniSD card (bought for $64-something shipped (FedEx 2nd day) from ZipZoomFly.com), I have to say something definitely isn't right with my 256MB SanDisk card. I put about 60 mp3's on the ATP card last night with no problems at all. Listened to just about all of them throughout the day today with no errors or partially played files. I've also installed several programs on the card and everything works as I'd expect it to.

So... either my SanDisk card was defective from the beginning, I screwed it up by formatting it with WinXP, or there is a compatibility problem with the card and the MPx220.

The exact thing happened to me. I thought that maybe it was my phone. Being an mpx220 it would not have surprised me. I did get my 512 mb ATP card from zipzoomfly.com also and it is flawless. I am glad to report that it has not failed yet. I cannot say the same for the SanDisc 256 mb card that will repeatedly fail. It will even prevent me from transferring files from my computer to my phone. Funny thing was that it would have problems transferring files while inserted in the phone, but using the SD adapter and reading on my computer it would read and transfer just fine.

Hey Boomer what email did you use with sandisc to get your card replaced?

Allan

boomer_sooner
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey Boomer what email did you use with sandisc to get your card replaced?
I sent my complaint to [email protected]. It took a day or two for a response, but things have moved quickly since then. I've gotten my FedEx pre-paid return label and just need to print it and drop it off. You can also go to sandisk.com, click on Retail/Consumer, then Customer Support. About halfway down the page, there is a link to e-mail technical support.

Jerry Raia
02-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Well my SanDisk MiniSD finally failed. I can't reformat it and can't transfer files off of it. So much for things changing. :evil: