View Full Version : smartphone and PDA

footdoc
01-11-2005, 08:10 PM
need advice, have BT/PDA, need smartphone that can sync with PDA and utlize MS Outlook, prefer to stay w/Cingluar because of work and deal on plans; thanks for the help

Jerry Raia
01-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Well there is the MPx220. If you wait a bit the SMT5600 might be offered as well but that is not certain at this point (see this (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7289) thread for more on that).

PPCMD
01-12-2005, 02:10 PM
I like the MPx220, but I like flip phones too.

bleeman
01-15-2005, 10:11 PM
One word of caution with Cingular. I've got an iPAQ 5555 and an MPx220 and planned on doing the same thing you want to do. Prior to my MPx220 I had an older Nokia 3360. On that plan I was able to sync my iPAQ via the infrared port on it and my phone using Cingular's "My Wireless Window" $3.99 a month plan. On it, my connect time was just subtracted from my minutes. When I moved over to the MPx220 I assumed it was going to be the same and I'd finally be able to take advantage of my Bluetooth capabilities. Well, technically I can, but from a wallet standpoint I won't. Turns out according to my rep, they price things differently on their GSM network. I get unlimited access to the web, my e-mail etc. for the $19.99/month MediaWorks plan as long as it's done from my MPx220. However, if I want to use it as a modem for my iPAQ I have to sign up for one of their Data GPRS plans. They range in price based on the amount of data you think you'll transfer in a month (i.e. 1mb, 5mb, 10mb, etc.). If you want the unlimited plan that's $79.99 a month. This is on top of your voice plan, your $19.99/month MediaWorks plan etc.

As a result, and it hasn't been a bad compromise at all, I decided not to go that route and just use my MPx220 for my E-mail, Contacts and Calendar. I haul my iPAQ along when I need to take notes, run a specific app etc. and I've found now that I've had my MPx220 for over a month, my iPAQ is staying home in it's cradle more and more. I still use it a lot around the house via WiFi but I'm really enjoying the smaller size of my MPx220 when out and about.