View Full Version : Recorded TV on your Smartphone

jfreiman
01-06-2005, 02:18 AM
I've tried a couple programs to convert television shows that I've recorded on my ReplayTV (tivo-like DVR) all with OK results.

However, I've just re-discovered the latest version of WinAVI, version 6.2. This program supports converting MPEG 1/2, MOV, RM and AVI files to WMV 9 for playback inside your Windows Mobile Smartphone!

Another great feature is it's support for batch conversion so you can convert several/many programs at once and then later use Windows Media Player 10 to later sync them to your Smartphone.

I'm using it with my Audiovox SMT5600 (and 512MB miniSD card) and loving it. If you've not had success with other programs or would like a simpler interface with with FAST conversion - look no further.

www.winavi.com

Has anyone else tried this program?

skibee
02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Sounds great in theory, but how much of your battery does it eat up?

jfreiman
02-08-2005, 07:09 PM
It eats up some, but not as much as you might think.

That's a good question. I watch about 30-40 minutes recorded television a day. Plus my phone calls etc.

At the end of the day when I go to recharge there are still two bars (1/2) the remaining battery.

Mike Temporale
02-08-2005, 08:00 PM
At the end of the day when I go to recharge there are still two bars (1/2) the remaining battery.

I have been meaning to post on this....

When there is 1 bar left on your Audiovox, there is still about 30% charge on the battery! It will last a full day for me with 1 bar. (I'm not playing TV ;) )

jfreiman
02-08-2005, 08:20 PM

I have been meaning to post on this....

When there is 1 bar left on your Audiovox, there is still about 30% charge on the battery! It will last a full day for me with 1 bar. (I'm not playing TV ;) )

Yea, if I want to get specific I'd say it's at 46% at the end of the day as reported by xBar 2.

abarry
02-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Would I be able to convert any DVD to play on my SMT5600 as well as my iPac 2215?

Mike Temporale
02-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Would I be able to convert any DVD to play on my SMT5600 as well as my iPac 2215?

Yup. Take a look at DVD To Smartphone or DVD To Pocket PC. Or, if you are more adventurous, you can do it yourself. 8)

abarry
02-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Yup. Take a look at DVD To Smartphone or DVD To Pocket PC. Or, if you are more adventurous, you can do it yourself. 8)

Thanks. Is there any program that can use to convert DVDs to my SMT5600 and iPaq 2215 without having to buy two programs, one for each?

If I have to buy two, I'd rather buy one for my iPaq 2215, since it has a larger screen. There are several DVD to PPC programs on the market - any suggestions which one is the best/easiest to use?

What did you mean by "... if you are more adventurous, you can do it yourself"? I didn't understand.

THanks, again

Mike Temporale
02-10-2005, 07:19 PM
All these tools are doing is automating a couple manual steps. If you search around here and Pocket PC Thoughts, you should find a number of posts about how to rip movies to your storage card.

I think the only real difference between these two applications is the compression ratio. Meaning, the end result should work in either device - I would expect. Again, I haven't done it.

skibee
02-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Interesting about the batt life. I would have thought that it would have seriously drained it -- certain phones lose so much battery power when you tap into a WiFi network.

How's the quality?? especially w/ such a small screen.