View Full Version : AT&T About To Re-Enter The Mobile Market

Mike Temporale
01-03-2005, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5507117.html?type=pt&part=inv&tag=feed&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-5507117.html?type=pt&part=inv&tag=feed&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div><i>"AT&amp;T plans to start marketing Sprint's cell phone service as its own in the first half of 2005, after it wins back the rights to use the AT&amp;T Wireless brand from Cingular Wireless, which acquired AT&amp;T Wireless in October. Some of the particulars of how it will handle billing and operations for the new mobile service will be spelled out next week, the executives said. AT&amp;T is not expected to announce pricing for its plans yet. Buying services from Sprint is a natural choice for AT&amp;T and other companies needing to expand into cellular or fixed-line phone service, but not wanting to invest in building a new network. Sprint has an abundance of wireless spectrum space to sell and a national fiber-optic network that can carry Internet-based phone calls and data."</i><br /><br />It looks like as soon as they get the rights back to the AT&amp;T Wireless name you're going to see a new AT&amp;T Wireless. Only this time, it's CDMA not GSM, and it's not the same company. :? Does anyone else think this is going to be a confusing for the average phone user?

Jerry Raia
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
They should just bury that moniker once and for all.

R.I.P.

possmann
01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
one question: Why?

Why in the owrld would AT&amp;T get out there again - it's like it never learned it's lesson - sigh...

You know, heck! if AT&amp;T can do it why not me - I'm going to open up my own phone shop too - why not? :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-03-2005, 05:59 PM
You know, heck! if AT&amp;T can do it why not me - I'm going to open up my own phone shop too - why not? :lol:
I do think Possman Wireless would be a much better name than a new AT&amp;T network.

Frankly, I think AT&amp;T is full of idiots by leasing Sprint's network. Their name was already mud before they were acquired by Cingular.

--janak

seaflipper
01-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I do think Possman Wireless would be a much better name than a new AT&amp;T network.

Frankly, I think AT&amp;T is full of idiots by leasing Sprint's network. Their name was already mud before they were acquired by Cingular.

--janak

"Don't get bogged down by other networks, join Mud Wireless today"

I like it Janak...Mud Wireless would be a good name for them to use... :D

PPCMD
01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Do they honestly think they will be able to really compete with the big players now. The "NEW" ATTWS will just follow the old one and offer free minutes and gobs of other stuff to keep customers and then just fall off the planet. :P

GSMfan
01-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Reselling the Sprint network is retarded. Sprint's coverage sucks and their customer satisfaction is the lowest of the low. However, AT&amp;T is brillant for rebranding the AT&amp;T Wireless name. Sure AT&amp;T Wireless had a major downturn due to poor decisions and systems issues (along with poor decisions about systems issues) but through all of that AT&amp;T Wireless continued to blow every other wireless provider out of the water when it came to business customers and to data. Despite perceptions, people are very loyal to AT&amp;T Wireless. While it is true they are the only wireless company in history to have a net loss of customers in a quarter, given the problems they were having servicing accounts it is out of sheer brand loyalty that any customers stayed at all. After that quarter, AT&amp;T Wireless had an unprecedented recovery. People trust the AT&amp;T Wireless name, and for AT&amp;T to take advantage of that fact is just good business.