View Full Version : Memory question and available memory upon fresh start

Jeff Song
12-31-2004, 07:36 AM
From a fresh start, my phone (SMT5600) has ~10mb of free RAM to use to run applications. Obviously I use a lot of programs throughout the day, but when i use task manager to close all of them down, I'm left with 4-6mb of free memory even when NOTHING is running. Is there anyway to get the ~5mb of "leaked" memory back with out restarting the phone? Thanks for the help!

Also, how much free memory (RAM) do you have on a fresh start?

Mike Temporale
12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
I've noticed that when I kill all the running tasks, it takes about 30 seconds or so before the free memory is displayed correctly.

On my 5600, it seems to hover around 8 meg free.

The only way to reclaim memory lost to a leak is to reboot just like your desktop. Memory leaks are typically caused by poorly written applications. What apps do you have installed, and use dialy? Maybe one of the applications you are using is causing the leak.

Jeff Song
12-31-2004, 08:59 PM
I've noticed that when I kill all the running tasks, it takes about 30 seconds or so before the free memory is displayed correctly.

On my 5600, it seems to hover around 8 meg free.

The only way to reclaim memory lost to a leak is to reboot just like your desktop. Memory leaks are typically caused by poorly written applications. What apps do you have installed, and use dialy? Maybe one of the applications you are using is causing the leak.

here is a list of apps i use daily

RJtasks/RJshortcut for my homescreen
Powertasks (trial)
Papyrus
just installed CityAlarms
just installed Betaplayer
just installed Task Manager SP
WMP
IE

I thought that there would be more free memory, but I guess not. I'm just so used to Pocket PC that switching over to Smartphone is quite different. However, I rather enjoy the challenge of learning new things, and it has been a fun last couple of days with my new "toy" :)