View Full Version : Smartphone memory allocation question

Jeff Song
12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
I am pretty new around here, and have been searching the forums a lot, but am still confused by this.

I used to own a Pocket PC, so I am used to that type of memory configuration.

When i go to Spacemaker on my SMT5600, i see that out of STORAGE (Flash) storage, I am using ~8.5mb of memory used and have ~19mb of free memory. However, when I go to Task Manager, I see that with no programs running and a fresh reboot, I have at most 10-11mb of free memory. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!

PPCMD
12-30-2004, 09:34 PM
A couple things come to mind. First is that WMSP and WMPC are not the best at really shutting down apps or releasing the memory back. Also the OS when launched takes up RAM to run and releases when you turn off the phone. Just like your PC at home.

Jeff Song
12-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Right I understand that, thanks. Is there an app that will run that will let me view my actual memory status in used/free (percentages)? Thanks!

Jeff Song
12-31-2004, 09:03 PM
so is storage like available ROM on a PPC, and Physical Memory like RAM? Where things are stored in the nonvolatile area of the phone?

I always thought that it was weird when I activesynced applications to my phone that upon installation, it didn't ask if I wanted to store them in main memory or ROM (storage). [I have yet to pick up a miniSD card]

Kris Kumar
12-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Storage Memory refers to ROM or Flash Memory
Physical Memory refers to RAM.

In case of Smartphones, the ROM (64MB usually) is used for the system firmware and the remaining (anywhere from 24MB to 32MB or so) is available as Storage Memory.

Storage Memory is used to install user installed applications, data like contacts, mails, calendar etc.

Physical Memory or RAM (unlike PPC) is used only for running of applications. In case of PPC the RAM stores user data and user installed apps. Hence it is lost when the battery looses power. On Smartphones since that is stored in the Storage Memory (part of the ROM/Flash), it is safe.

Physical Memory or RAM (32MB usually) in Smartphones are used for storing working data, like while composing emails or running an app that downloads data. All the temporary memory usage happens in the RAM.

But why the RAM runs low so quickly..don't know. Never tried to look for it. ;-) But I would suspect poorly written apps. Developers are used to desktop PC like memory situations. And I am sure the Microsoft apps themselves violate the memory requirements. ;-)