View Full Version : Disable internet?

BigCanoe
12-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi, I just got my first bill and the data charges are insane. Is there a way to disable the internet/data access on my phone until I decide what plan I want to go with?

Kris Kumar
12-25-2004, 06:03 PM
I don't think there is an easy way to disable the internet access. I mean there is no easy on/off switch. Now this would make a nice feature for the future versions of Smartphone.

This is what you can do..usually Email is the one that often leads to higher data usage. So in the Menu->Options->Account Setup, select the mail accounts one by one and go thru the setup wizard and the last screen is the frequency with which the mail should be synced. Specify Never.

But if you use Internet Explorer or have other apps that use the internet like Weather, Stocks or RSS etc. Then you will have to go to Start->Settings->Data Connections->Menu->Edit Connections->GPRS Connections.

Delete the entries that you see over there. But before you delete them you should make a note of the settings. Because later on you will have re-enter them, once you have decided on the plan.

Merry X'mas :)

BigCanoe
12-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks so much! The per/k charges makes unlimited access look pretty affordable!

Kris Kumar
12-25-2004, 06:43 PM
I am hooked on email sync (4 mailboxes every half hour). :-) Plus internet. Recently setup a streaming server on my home PC, so that I can listen to my own streaming content (TV audio) on my Smartphone. ;-) So I am a pretty heavy internet user and the T-Mobile $20 unlimited internet really helps.