View Full Version : Rumor: Lawsuit to be filed against Cingular & Motorola for MPx220 fiasco

Hobbes
12-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Alfadawg posts on Modaco (http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=119537&sid=4634c8d90aeb4e81f5e064919676c097)

And says he knows of an impending class action lawsuit to be filed again Motorola and Cingular for their actions (or lack thereof) with respect to the defective MPx220s that were sold.

He says the plaintifs seek full reimbursment for the phone, legal fees, and replacements/upgrades as remedies.

I don't know if I'm willing to get involved with such a thing personnaly but I am very interested to see if this post has merit and, if so, how far it will go.

thefunkunfaked
12-23-2004, 10:56 PM
frivolous.

every phone has its cons. read reviews before you buy

:roll:

Mike Temporale
12-24-2004, 03:14 AM
Interesting. I don't know how far they will get, but I would like to see Cingular and/or Moto take more responsiblity for this phone.

AMelis
12-24-2004, 08:38 AM
And it was pretty well hooted at in Modaco. The more you read it the more it sounds like a troll....

Kris Kumar
12-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Had Moto launched the MPx220 with the 1.30 version, I would have accepted the problems. But the version that they chose to release the phones; the .325 and the way Moto and Best Buy handled the support was bad and unacceptable. For a $500 phone such performance is preposterous. :roll:

xxpinballxx
12-24-2004, 04:31 PM
There is no way that they will give full reimbursment and upgrade the products.

As far as I know the lemon law only applies to cars. Plus there is very minimal expense to the fixes if any. I had to just spend 15 minutes out mf my life to replace it.

I can see it were causing serious problems but just because everyone paid too much for a product when it first hit the shelves doesn't mean you should be compensated for lack of knowledge about the product.

Sure it had quite a few problems. But was the phone un-usable?
I don't think so and if everyone thinks about it I am sure they would find the same.

Its a lesson learned if you ask me!
Let others get first release products and learn from the mistakes.

Just my opinion!

Mike Temporale
12-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Let others get first release products and learn from the mistakes.

Either way, someone is going to get burnt, and that's just not right.

hughck
12-25-2004, 03:29 AM
Maybe it has not happened to you, but some of us have our mics turn off and the person we are talking to cannot hear us. It looks to me as if the mic becomes muted without any action done by the user. I'm not out looking for a free phone, but I feel I'm entitled to a phone that works and lives up to the specs that Moto and Cingular states. In additional if the first buyers are being used as testers and using their time trying to get the phone corrected, they should be entitled to some compensation. After all Moto and Cingular, charge for their tech support and time.

Love the idea of this phone, now make it work

AMelis
12-25-2004, 03:58 AM
Cingular or ATTWS? .343 or 1.30 firmware? Have you sent it back to be fixed or exchanged it the store?

Kris Kumar
12-25-2004, 04:47 AM
Sure it had quite a few problems. But was the phone un-usable?

As a smart phone - No.
But as a phone - Yes.

The volume was low, and the mic had problems. The other party at times could not hear what I was saying.

These two items make the product an inferior phone. Why were people buying it. It had one of the best specs for a Microsoft Smartphone. It was a clam shell design. It had Windows 2003 SE and was from Moto. But now we know that the Moto part is not always a good thing.

Also, the problems I have pointed out in the production models were present in the test models. Evidence: check out the reviews by BengalBoy and Howard Chui on HowardForums.com. They both mentioned low volume and mic problem. But they dismissed it as prototype phone problem. Which I believe is the right statement for them. But Moto decided to launch the phone with those problems a month or two later.

Am I being a cry baby, yes!
Do I think the lawsuit would get anywhere, unfortunately no!

Kris Kumar
12-25-2004, 05:03 AM

Absolutely. :(

But my concern is - has Moto learned anything from this episode? :?

As for me, I don't think I will be buying a Moto product in the near future. They will have to prove to me they are good.

I have the MPx220 with the so called latest firmware, but I barely use it. I prefer the SP3i for my daily use. Why do I still have it. As the contributing editor it helps to have a second phone. Also on an on and off basis, I do some programming, since Moto tested this phone on me, I am taking the frustration out by testing my apps on this phone. ;-) :lol: