View Full Version : How Much Do You Miss a Cradle?

Mike Temporale
12-22-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2185' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2185</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Back in the early days of the Pocket PCs, it was good "tradition" to deliver the device with a cradle and also the first Smartphone like the HTC Canary, Tanager or Voyager included one. Now it seems to become more and more common to send the new devices without cradles - doesn't matter if Pocket PC or Smartphone. For instance neither the Motorola MPx220 nor the Orange SPV C500 or the HTC Magician (T-Mobile MDA compact) includes a cradle anymore"</i><br /><br />Arne brings up a good point about cradles. Ever since I upgraded to my new Audiovox, I've really missed not having a cradle. My iPAQ 4100 has one, and I love it. Ever night the device goes into the cradle, or beside it, if it doesn't need to be charged. The cradle sits on my nightstand, right beside the bed. So when I get up in the morning, I can grab my iPAQ and go! Unfortunately, my Audiovox is another story. :cry: Anyone else missing cradles?

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I miss having a cradle as well - the MPx200 was nice for that. The C500 I have just has the cable, which keeps falling behind my desk - I solve that by wrapping it around the USB hub I have, but it's not very convenient. Cradles are a much better solution for charging.

Jerry Raia
12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
I miss the cradle too. My old i600 had a great cradle if nothing else.

Kris Kumar
12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Miss the cradle. :-(

More than the charging; I used to use it to keep the phone upright so that I can glance at the home screen to see if there is any new messages etc.

When it comes to charging, I agree with Jason, the charger helps keep things organised on the table.

Skiwhack
12-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I have the Toshiba e740 PDA and it has a cradle (all of my PDA's had one) and my Nextel i95cl has a charging base/cradle. As everyone has mentioned it's a nice means of keeping the unit in an upright position as well as reducing wire clutter.

I'm considering three Smartphones to replace the two devices that I've had for years:
1. Blackberry 7100 series (offered by T-mobile) and it comes with two USB cables but no cradle.

2. The Audiovox XV6600, again, no cradle indicated on any of the sites so it will sit on my desk, Yuk!

3. Motorola i930- No mention of a cradle but at least I could place it in the desktop charger which I know will be available and compatible with the i830 and i860 currently available. The question here will be if I can attach the sync cable while in the desktop charging base.

I am patiently waiting for late February when I will finally get a new phone and potentially switch from Nextel unless the new Sprint/Nextel alliance creates offerings that I just cant live without.

Ski

cdcooker
12-22-2004, 05:48 PM
If the phone cost less without a cradle, I don't need a cradle then. Also, a lot of people are using certain kind of cases for their PDAs or phones. It virtually make it impossible to put the device on the cradle without take the device out of the case.

A sync &amp; charge USB cable is enough. It is nice if they bundle a car USB power adapter :D

Kris Kumar
12-22-2004, 06:00 PM
If the phone cost less without a cradle, I don't need a cradle then. Also, a lot of people are using certain kind of cases for their PDAs or phones. It virtually make it impossible to put the device on the cradle without take the device out of the case.

A sync &amp; charge USB cable is enough. It is nice if they bundle a car USB power adapter :D

I agree, in the event manufacturers do not offer cradle, they should compensate it in other ways.

I like that C500/SMT5600/SP3i etc ship with a nice case. But MPx220 no case, no cradle. :-)

Jerry Raia
12-22-2004, 06:03 PM

I agree, in the event manufacturers do not offer cradle, they should compensate it in other ways.

I like that C500/SMT5600/SP3i etc ship with a nice case. But MPx220 no case, no cradle. :-)

Yeah and no earpeice! Seriously though not only did the i600 have a cradle, it also came with the extra extended battery and the car charger! Hmmmm maybe I should have kept the darn thing. :roll:

gambit
12-23-2004, 12:07 AM
I have a cradle and hate it!

As a developer i need to be constantly picking up and phone and using it while plugged it, to really use the keys one needs to be holding it ones hand, and the cradle just gets in the way.

If it was a pocketpc, then fine, as you don't need to hold it for touch, or even if i was just a "user" as i wouldn't be needing to type stuff in while it was connected to my PC as much.

Sorry, but give me one of those cable connecters any day!

riki

leslietroyer
12-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Yes it does make the desk neater. Before I got the 5600 I had an old kyocera 3230 (?) -- I got it with the optional cradle.

With just a usb cable my desk always looks messy, and I know some day my chair will hook the cable and send the 5600 sailing across the room. Looks like an area just ripe for third party addons. I mean really if companies can afford to tool up to make all kinds of colored skins for other phones how hard would it be to make a cradle??

Les

possmann
12-23-2004, 05:45 PM
I miss the cradle :cry:

I often have my PPC stuck in the cradle and use it to display other information. Not having a cradle means you got to lay the thing diown rather than have it presenting useful information to you in a manner easy to read...

I suppose I don;t care much about it when I'm not at work, but I like having that cradle next to my work monitor...

Mike Temporale
12-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Has anyone found a cradle for the Audiovox?

darrylb
12-24-2004, 01:06 AM
I dont really miss a cradle at work. I have a Harrier that hass a cradle and while I use it at home, I'm happy with bluetooth at work. I use Pocket controller to manage the device from the PC and have it plugged into an power adapter. If the phone rings, my connection stays put and I can pick it up or use a bluetooth headset.

If I didnt have a cradle at home Id probably just use bluetooth there too

YMM - I know that BT does not work for many people...