View Full Version : Sloooooooowwwwwww operation on AudioVox SMT5600

slossy
12-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Thought maybe someone else has seen this. Recently experienced very slow response from my SMT5600 (AWS). Changing profiles, toggling between apps, scrolling, ending calls all reflected very slow response times - time from when input was made and action was reflected on screen.

Anyone else seen this?

Also, another question an icon looking like a phone in use appeared top-middle and never disappeared until after a rebooted the device. Not sure what it was. It does not appear to be defined in this article:

http://support.attwireless.com/awswls/support/index.jsp?target=AllDevices.do%3FmanufacturerIndex%3D9999%26tab%3Ddevices

Jerry Raia
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
That link you posted just goes to a home page for ATT Wireless.

slossy
12-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Yep, apparently it's a dynamic link.

The icon which I think was showing up in place of the "G" - for GPRS available was 'frozen' there until reboot. It is not among the natively documented icons for the phone.

[/code]

apeguero
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I haven't noticed anything peculiar with mine. How many programs do you have running in background? How much memory do you have available? Have you tried turning the phone off and then turning it on again?

Kris Kumar
12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi slossy

You are not alone. I have seen it on my SP3i (basically the same as the SMT5600 but i-mate branded).

I have not been able to pinpoint the problem. Reboot fixes the problem. But till reboot, things move painfully slow.

I was doing a number of things. Changing some settings, internet, mail..and suddenly it went slow. Happened twice in 1 month time frame. :?

Will post it if I figure some thing out. Or let me know if you identify the problem. :-)

xBar is the only background app. I have disabled PhotoCallerId. But I was opening and closing 3-4 apps + surfin the net at the time when the problem occurred.

Kris

Jerry Raia
12-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Some kind of memory leak maybe?

slossy
12-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Hi slossy

You are not alone. I have seen it on my SP3i (basically the same as the SMT5600 but i-mate branded).

I have not been able to pinpoint the problem. Reboot fixes the problem. But till reboot, things move painfully slow.

I was doing a number of things. Changing some settings, internet, mail..and suddenly it went slow. Happened twice in 1 month time frame. :?

Will post it if I figure some thing out. Or let me know if you identify the problem. :-)

xBar is the only background app. I have disabled PhotoCallerId. But I was opening and closing 3-4 apps + surfin the net at the time when the problem occurred.

Kris

Thanks Kris,

Perhaps someone can explain to me what they mean by 'programs running in the background'?. If I bring up Task List then the list revealed might be as many as 10 but generally these are not programs one can close as with full Windows on a PC. I've read on other threads that the OS will close apps itself as it needs to. As of now, I have only the native memory installed but have over 75% free so this should not be an issue.

The slow down\non-responsive thing may be a good enough reason to return the whole package to the vendor as I am still within my 30 days.

Any other thoughts?

Mike Temporale
12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Next time it's slow, bring up the task manager, and kill all the running tasks. If that fixes things, then you can experiment further and try to narrow down which app is causing the problem.

Kris Kumar
12-23-2004, 05:53 AM
I would recommend putting the Task Manager on Speed Dial. ;-) Because going thru the Start Menu might be painful when the device slows down.

I have it all set up, waiting for the slooooooooooooow processing to show up, but it has not happened...:-(

slossy
12-23-2004, 03:11 PM
I would recommend putting the Task Manager on Speed Dial. ;-) Because going thru the Start Menu might be painful when the device slows down.

I have it all set up, waiting for the slooooooooooooow processing to show up, but it has not happened...:-(

Taskman set as speeddial #3 and this just may do the rick. Thanks all!