View Full Version : iTunes Phone Coming in First Half of 2005

Jason Dunn
12-21-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.extremeipod.com/article2/0,1759,1743494,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.extremeipod.com/article2/0,1759,1743494,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"An Apple executive has revealed that the company is working on a cell phone capable of playing songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store, due for release during the first half of 2005, in collaboration with long-term partner Motorola. In an interview with Forbes, the company's vice president for applications, Eddy Cue, said Motorola and Apple would "have something coming on this in the first half of 2005 and we're definitely on schedule for that. Hopefully you'll be able to see more about it soon." Although Cue declined to comment further on potential dates for the product, it has heightened speculation that the product will get its first public showing at January's Macworld Expo in San Francisco, when Apple CEO Steve Jobs is due to deliver his regular keynote speech."</i><br /><br />Both the mobile phone and digital audio world are abuzz about this, but it might not be what everyone thinks it is. At the very least, it's a Motorola phone that will work with iTunes - representing the first non-PC/Mac device beyond the iPod that will be compatible with iTunes. In a best-case scenario (for the Apple lovers at least), it's a full-blown phone made by Motorola, designed by Apple, that will be a true iPhone. My take on it? It's going to be a Linux-based Motorola phone that will just sync with iTunes and have an audio player built into it, perhaps a small hard drive to boot. I don't think we'll see a real iPhone any time soon. What do you think this will really turn out to be?

Mike Temporale
12-21-2004, 03:29 AM
It's a tough call. I don't see Apple doing half the job. They tend to call all out or nothing at all. So from Apple's view, I would expect a full phone designed by Apple, built by Moto, with a HD, or a larger flash memory footprint.

From Moto's view, I would expect that they would want to retain more control, since they are the one's the will ultimately be supporting the device. Which means more of a iTunes compatible phone.

It's really anyone's call, but I suspect the second.

Jerry Raia
12-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Oh I don't know. Moto seems quite content these days to do only half a job. Maybe this is a perfect fit for them. They make the plastic case with the M on it. Apple makes the part you can actually HEAR. :D