View Full Version : ActiveSync problems with my SMT 5600

shaskin
12-13-2004, 08:57 PM
I just bought a used SMT 5600 from ebay (I know, I know) and the person didn't send it with a sync cable. I have several mini USB cables around, so I tried to use one of those.

It synced long enough to unlock it. but now when I plug it in, it only launches active sync one out of 10 or 20 times.

Its charging when it's plugged in, and my device manager lists it as "Windows CE USB Device", manufactured by HTC. But even though my computer knows its there, ActiveSync doesn't seem to pick up on it. I've also tried it on another computer with the same results.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

Mike Temporale
12-13-2004, 10:13 PM
I didn't realize that the cable was anything special. I thought it was just mini USB. I haven't had that problem. However I have the cable that came with it, and I don't have another mini USB cable to test it with.

HAve you installed the correct version of Active Sync? You need to install the one that is on the CD that came with it.

shaskin
12-13-2004, 10:34 PM
I have the latest version of ActiveSync installed (3.7.1)--he didn't send the CD. This is what I get for trying to do it on the cheap...

This is the strangest thing, my computer knows its there--it makes the noise when a new USB device connects, the device manager recognizes it and displays it identically to my E200.

Another strange piece to this; when the SMT is plugged in, my E200 won't sync, as if there was already a connection (even though there isn't), but its fine when its the only device.

Come to think of it, my SMT is behaving as if there is already another device connected.

Mike Temporale
12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
The version that came on my CD is 3.7.1 build 4034. Could be that the driver for ActiveSync to regonize that phone is installed with the version from the CD. I've seen this before in the PPC world. I really think you need to get the files from that CD.

I bought mine from eBay, and had no problems. Of course, mine was labeled "new never opened". :wink:

shaskin
12-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Yeah, that's the same build number I have.

This problem, along with the fact that it automatically plays a flash demo after a minute or so, leads me to believe that I just bought a floor demo. I'm going to try to get my money back--or flash the firmware if I can find the ROM. Oh yeah, that requires a connection...

*$%@($*$*@#$!!!!

Kris Kumar
12-14-2004, 05:29 AM
Hmm..so the E200 charges with the same cable but the SMT5600 will not.

Also do you have Windows XP SP2. Not sure if the firewall on the SP XP2 or another firewall may be affecting this thing.

And does look like you got the floor model. Have you tried Hard-Reseting the phone.

NOTE: You will lose all the data and applications that you installed yourself.

I am hoping that the hard-reset would get rid of the flash animation.

Tough there is an easier way to get rid of the flash animation. :-)

Using the File Manager, browse to \Storage\Windows\StartUP (note it is Startup and not Start Menu).

Look for any suspiciously named .lnk file like flash.lnk or demo.lnk. MOVE the suspicious file out of the folder to a temp folder. And power off and power on your phone.

shaskin
12-14-2004, 06:21 PM
I just decided to flash the phone with the Orange ROM update on one times it did sync up. Now it works like a champ.

Thanks for all your help. I think I've learned my lesson. :?