View Full Version : Pocket Streets 2005

Agni88
12-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I installed Pocket MS Pocket Streets 2005 on it and put maps into the My documents folder on the phone as instructed, but the program says there are no maps...
can anyone please help with this problem?

Santa Fe
12-13-2004, 01:51 AM
This is a guess but make sure you are using the Smartphone version and not the PPC version.

By the way I found the maps to be useless where I live.

Agni88
12-13-2004, 02:48 AM
yeah i am using the smartphone one...but still nothing :'(

Tamad
12-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Same thing happened to me. If you go into Pocket Streets & point it to the map file it will come up and remember that map. You will have to do this with every map you use :( I found this program to be worthless in Southern California with many areas not on the maps.

Jerry Raia
12-16-2004, 05:01 PM
That is odd. I put the maps in /Storage Card/My Documents and it sees them all.

Goattee
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
That is odd. I put the maps in /Storage Card/My Documents and it sees them all.

Ding. Ding. Ding. You actually have the answer. There are many apps (esp. MS-written apps) that expect to see their data files in the /My Documents/ folder in any storage device. On my PocketPC and earlier Win CE devices it would search main memory and any added cards-- but only saw maps stored in /My Documents/

Jerry Raia
12-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Are you saying the "my documents" folder in the phone itself won't work?
That is where the original poster had put them.

Goattee
12-16-2004, 10:50 PM

My bad. :(

I did not read the poster's message carefully enough. And worse yet, my MPx220 has not arrived yet. So my experience is purely based on using 2 generations of Windows CE. (Philips Nino and iPaq 3835 for you nostalgic geek types.)

On the CE devices, it worked just fine in main memory AND add-in cards as long as it was \My Documents. Perhaps this is a bug in Pocket Streets or the Smartphone OS?

I am eagerly awaiting my new phone so I can provide more useful feedback.

Question of my own: does POcket Streets 2005 require conversion of earlier maps? (MS used to post a whole bunch of maps for major North American and Western European cities.)

Jerry Raia
12-17-2004, 12:59 AM

My bad. :(

I did not read the poster's message carefully enough. And worse yet, my MPx220 has not arrived yet. So my experience is purely based on using 2 generations of Windows CE. (Philips Nino and iPaq 3835 for you nostalgic geek types.)

On the CE devices, it worked just fine in main memory AND add-in cards as long as it was \My Documents. Perhaps this is a bug in Pocket Streets or the Smartphone OS?

I am eagerly awaiting my new phone so I can provide more useful feedback.

Question of my own: does POcket Streets 2005 require conversion of earlier maps? (MS used to post a whole bunch of maps for major North American and Western European cities.)

My experiance was the same as yours though, "My Docs" was always the place were only certian programs would find files.

Not sure on the conversion issue as I have been using Streets 2005 as well.

AMelis
12-17-2004, 06:48 AM
No real need to convert. Do as I do and replace all the old maps with the new 2005. You can download those.

Goattee
12-17-2004, 06:55 AM
No real need to convert. Do as I do and replace all the old maps with the new 2005. You can download those.

OK. Thanks!

I've now visited the MS web site and found that all the old favorites are there. I also have Mappoint so I can also export specialized maps-- Pocket Streets 2005 can read 2004-era maps without problems according to the MS web site.