View Full Version : It's Here! My New Audiovox Has Finally Arrived

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
The USPS and Canada Customs combined to drag out the delivery of my new phone, which took over 2 weeks. :( Oh well. I'm glad it's finally arrived. Despite all the pictures and reviews, I was still shocked at how small and light weight it really is compared to my old Tanager beast. One thing I haven't heard anyone else mention, is how small the battery is! It's just so tiny, yet this phone is going to last longer!? Crazy.

At this point, I'm not sure that you guys are really interested in another Audiovox review. Instead, how about we do a little Q & A session. If you have any questions about this phone, post away. I'll do my best to answer them. :D

Bacco
12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Mike, you're going to love the phone.

Can you do me a favor??? Would you load the Profimail program and tell me your thoughts on it. I am curious if I'm the only one experiencing slow response times.

I've written the developers and haven't heard from them other than a question about my phone.

Thanks.

canux
12-08-2004, 06:37 PM
As a fellow Canadian with new Smartphone envy (I too have an outdated Tanager), a few questions:

- Where did you end up purchasing the phone from? Good deal?
- What network have you/are you going to use? I have been using Fido since there is no contract obligation with them and I already have a CDMA phone (under contract). Anyways, Fido is terrible in Vancouver. If you use Rogers, is it decent?

Thanks and enjoy your new toy!

Jerry Raia
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Congrats Mike!

One question, can you hear it? :lol:

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Can you do me a favor??? Would you load the Profimail program and tell me your thoughts on it. I am curious if I'm the only one experiencing slow response times.

Sure. I'll try it over the weekend and post back my results.

Bacco
12-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Great, thanks Mike.

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 07:26 PM
As a fellow Canadian with new Smartphone envy (I too have an outdated Tanager), a few questions:

I know the feeling. I've been suffering for the last couple months. :wink:

- Where did you end up purchasing the phone from? Good deal?

eBay. It was a pretty nice deal. It was a little cheaper than buying it without a contract. Just have to watch the duty at the border. If you go this route, ask them to mark the value somewhere under $100. Maybe $60 or so.

- What network have you/are you going to use? I have been using Fido since there is no contract obligation with them and I already have a CDMA phone (under contract). Anyways, Fido is terrible in Vancouver. If you use Rogers, is it decent?

I'm on Fido. Fido's unlimited data is $50 and Rogers is $100. 8O For that reason alone, I'm not about to switch. As for the coverage issues; Fido was recently purchased by Rogers. I have heard that they have just opened up the 2 networks so your coverage should be much better soon, if not already. For the next 3 months you can "roam" between networks at no charge, after that, there will be a $5 per month fee for "extended coverage". I saw this on the fido website. I imagine they will have some sort of news included in their next statement.

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Congrats Mike!

One question, can you hear it? :lol:

:lol: Loud and clear. :wink:

Kris Kumar
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Come-on Mike! Crib about something. Don't make us MPx220 users feel miserable. :-) There has to be something about your new phone that you don't like.

Mike Temporale
12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Come-on Mike! Crib about something. Don't make us MPx220 users feel miserable. :-) There has to be something about your new phone that you don't like.

Sure there is... I hate all the MMS crap. Everywhere I turn, there is some other MMS icon or inbox or whatever :evil:

Oh, and I also hate how they have renamed the SMS inbox to "Text Messeges". What's up with that?!

I also think the Photo contact app is only half a solution. It's missing some key features and functionality.

Kris Kumar
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Ah! Glad that you let that out.

I guess one of the joys of owning an unbranded Smartphones is that it is clean. My i-mate SP3i is a good example. ;-)

That said I hate the MMS and Outlook E-Mail. I have to play with Smartione. I think they can be nuked and/or renamed.

Also thru the registry you should be able to rename "Text Messages" to "SMS". I hate the long title too. :-) So let me know when you have figured it out.

Photo Contact, I guess freebie apps are not supposed to be as good as the full version. I wish I could assign photos from the Contacts application rather than Photo Album.

And what's with the Voice Tags. I want VR. :-(

Jerry Raia
12-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Whew, now that's more like it. 8)

kidshyleen
12-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Hello. Do you know of any hack or mod that will allow me to use my Bluetooth headset to dial out when the phone keys are locked? This is driving me crazy. Why even have the capability if you have to use the dial anyway to get a line out?? Please advise. Thank you for your time.

encece
12-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Oh, and I also hate how they have renamed the SMS inbox to "Text Messeges". What's up with that?!.

FOr some reason the name SMS never took hold in the US....most (that I know) and most US Carriers refer to them as Text Messages.

Jerry Raia
12-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Try this:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Inbox/Svc/SMS/FriendlyName

I changed it to SMS. Offensive name gone! :)

cortez
12-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Jerry - thanks for the tip... i renamed mine also.

qyv42
12-09-2004, 10:16 AM
How about a hack to go straight to my Outlook Inbox when I click on the "Messaging" icon? I hate the change (guessing it was in 2003 SE) that brings up the interim menu "Text Messages", "Outlook E-mail", "MMS".

Mike Temporale
12-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks Jerry. I had actually ran a search through the registry before I left work and found that key, but I haven't had a chance to change anything yet. I'll do that now. :D

How about a hack to go straight to my Outlook Inbox when I click on the "Messaging" icon? I hate the change (guessing it was in 2003 SE) that brings up the interim menu "Text Messages", "Outlook E-mail", "MMS".

The location Jerry posted is for all your inboxes. Look around at the different folders under KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc and you should find one for Outlook Email.

Warning: Modifying values in your registry is not the smartest thing to do. Backups are strongly suggested. :)

Mike Temporale
12-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Ah! Glad that you let that out.

Whew, now that's more like it. 8)

My problems/concerns are nothing compared to the problems that all of you MPx220'ers are going/went through. :wink: 8)

Kris Kumar
12-09-2004, 01:04 PM
My problems/concerns are nothing compared to the problems that all of you MPx220'ers are going/went through. :wink: 8)

It makes us strong. Builds up our character.

:rotfl:

Kris Kumar
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the mod Jerry.

BTW: Another thing I find a little annoying. The iconbar on SP3i (I am sure SMT5600/C500 etc shows it too) shows the icon of a person with handset, which means that PhotoID is running. I would like that taken out. It is an un-necessary icon. I like the iconbar to be clean. This brings some clutter.

Can PhotoId be turned off using some setting. Or is it thru registry/filesystem hack? I had turned of PhotoId on my MPx220. Will be doing the same on the SP3i also.

Mike Temporale
12-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Can PhotoId be turned off using some setting. Or is it thru registry/filesystem hack? I had turned of PhotoId on my MPx220. Will be doing the same on the SP3i also.

In Photo Contacts, Hit Menu / 8 Options / 3 General and turn off Display photo during incoming or waiting call. The icon should go away after this.

I like the app, but it's really lacking in a couple key area's. One of the key area's is professional looking themes. The ones included are too teenage-ish for me. :(

Kris Kumar
12-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Awesome!

Have to admit looks like the PhotoID on HTC devices is much better than the one on <cough> MPx220.

Jerry Raia
12-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Even threads about other phones end up bashing the poor MPx220. :lol:

I bet if we went looking at food forums we would find something like:

".... yes that is a great recipe, too bad the MPX220 sucks though."

Bacco
12-09-2004, 05:56 PM
".... yes that is a great recipe, too bad the MPX220 sucks though."

:lol: , I love that line Jerry!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

Mike Temporale
12-09-2004, 07:27 PM