View Full Version : New ROM Changes in MPx220

sperry
12-03-2004, 08:50 AM
I just received my new MPx220 from Cingular today. Boy what a difference. I was regretting getting this phone, I have had nothing but problems with it since I purchased it in on October.

When I tried to get a new one from BestBuy they told me they were recalled. I then called Motorola and they stated that there has been no recall on the device. I then called Cingular and they had no idea what phone I was talking about. For a while I thought I was going to get stuck with a POS phone.

Then yesterday I tried again. I called Motorola and they again insisted that there was no recall on the device and that I needed to call back BestBuy. I told them that BestBuy keeps telling me that the device was recalled and that they have no phones to give me. Motorola then gave me a number to call at BestBuy to help get the issue resolved. I called the number and it actually connected me to Cingular. The woman I spoke to actually heard of the device and said she would replace it. I was so happy. Well, the new phone is much more stable than the old.

Here is a list of the major issues I had with the old phone:

1) Ear Piece volume (Most times this didn't bother me as I use a Bluetooth headset)
2) The mic would cut out. This was not just a handset issue, this occured with my headset as well.
3) It wouldn't find the Cingular network. I would have to turn it on and off 8 or 9 times to get a signal, maybe.

The new phone seems to fix these major issues. Although only time will tell on number 2. Besides these fixes I have noticed increased performance on the device as well, which is a very pleasant surprise. The camara is still pretty useless, but that doesn't bother me much.

I did notice one other change. On the original ROM you could enable TrueType fonts under Start/Settings/Phone Settings. The option is gone. It used to be between Ext. LCD Background image and Preferred Band. I happen to like the true type fonts, it gave the display a cleaner look. (Anyone know how to turn it on?) Although, I can live without it.

Just my 2 cents on the ROM upgrade.

-Steven

PPCMD
12-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Glad you are among the many who have the new version and its working out. :D

mkent_barbados
12-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Re; Clear Type, I don't have the link, but I remember reading on Howard Forums how to turn it on, its a switch in the registry. Happy searching! (sorry!)

amg212
12-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Re; Clear Type, I don't have the link, but I remember reading on Howard Forums how to turn it on, its a switch in the registry. Happy searching! (sorry!)

The key is:
HKLM\ControlPanel\MainLCD

There should be a value there called "ClearType" - change it from 0 to 1

Jerry Raia
12-04-2004, 05:48 PM
That works, you need to restart your phone too (like always). I wonder why they took it out of "settings".

Gaire
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
I bought my MPx220 on 15 Oct and have learned a new dialing shortcut to quickly finding your phone program version numbers calling *#**372# in a FQC Mode.

First, my task to upgrade my phone. Best Buy is useless since they will not do a phone exchange over 30 days from purchase. So, on 2Dec I called and talked to the Cingular phone exchange (800) 801-1101 Manager (Tim). Cingular policy is to go back to the point of purchase. This policy does not work with Best Buy! He did say that if he had any in stock, he would mail me a new phone. Unfortunately, he does not know when the new MPx220 ROM 1.30 phones will be in stock. He suggested that I keep calling since they do not take names. :idea: You would think for better customer support that they would collect names to reduce their calls, time and efforts. :cry:

Second, during this phone exchange query, the technetium asked me for the version number. So I told her using the Start-Settings-About. I have the .342 Manufacturer version. She insisted that I dial *#**372#. So I did, but she could not tell me what to do next, just the "tell me the version that you see on your screen" question. Apparently she did not know that the MPx220 soft key MENU must be pressed to move to the call action. In effect you dial this number, but you will get a quick failed flash on your screen before you get an 8 item display. The first item is S/W ver. & mode. This has the same Manufacturer version number but is called SWVer in this menu. The display goes in an FQC Mode to display the following Functional Quality Commands after calling the *#**372# number:

0. S/W ver. & mode (HW SW ROM versions, SN, FSN, SUG & others)
1. Battery Level (Vmain, Vback & charger status)
2. Keypad function (Press the key to erase the blocked pictured keys)
3. Indication function (Flashing color screen; Had to power off to STOP!)
4. Audio path (Audio path testing....it took too long so I canceled)
5. SD/MMC test (Locates, reads, writes and verifies)
6. Camera test (Camera active; Not sure what to do here)
7. IrDA test (Sender & Receiver test)
8. Alarm clock (Power off & Reset Clock; do the same thing)

Does any one else have other short-cut codes?

Has anyone called Motorola to find out what they will do to exchange phones? 8O

Jerry Raia
12-05-2004, 06:14 PM
When you called Cingular did you tell them you had a problem or just wanted the updated ROM? The one I got from Cingular is 1.30. When I called I told them I was having trouble with the audio and the camera bot of which were true of course.

PPCMD
12-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Be polite but don't accept no for an answer. The Cingular corp store by my office indicates that Cingular has ALOT of MPx220's they are just slow for some stupid reason in getting them to the stores. Eitherway its their job to replace the phone due to issues and warranty claims.

james840a
12-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Im with Jerry, I too called told them i was having a proplem with the volume and camera and they sent me a new phone with the 1.30