View Full Version : The RAM Upgrade That Never Was

Jason Dunn
12-01-2004, 06:41 PM
In our continuing quest to have a fast, stable server, a few days ago I ordered an upgrade from 2 GB to 4 GB. It's about $700 USD out of my pocket (ouch!) but that's better than the $1500 USD they (ev1servers.net) wanted to charge earlier this year. The things I do for you guys. ;-) If you'd like to help offset that cost, feel free toss us a few bucks. (https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=paypal%40thoughtsmedia.com&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD)

Anyway, this morning they took down the server to upgrade the RAM (the concept of doing upgrades in non-prime time hours seems to have eluded them), and when the server came back up about 30 minutes later...we still have 2 GB of RAM. :evil: There was a cryptic message from the technician stating "We are unable to perform the ram upgrade successfully due to an inadequate amount of ram required". Keeping in mind that the first message from them was on the delay of the RAM upgrade because they didn't have it in stock. I sent a rather terse email asking for a real explanation, and it turns out that when they took the server down and opened it up, it had four sticks of 512 MB, and they were holding 2 x 1 GB sticks in their hands - they assumed it had 2 x 1 GB sticks in it already. So they sealed it up, booted it up, and we're back in business - with the same amount of RAM that we had before. :roll: Some days you just wish you had stayed in bed...

Mike Temporale
12-01-2004, 07:26 PM
the concept of doing upgrades in non-prime time hours seems to have eluded them

:twak:

So, what's the plan now? Do you have to buy 4x1GB?

Jason Dunn
12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
So, what's the plan now? Do you have to buy 4x1GB?

Well, THEY have to buy them and install them...my cost is still the same AFAIK.

Beowulf
12-01-2004, 07:31 PM
They don't seem to be too sharp. My company uses hostcentric.com. They have been very good to us.