View Full Version : Any word on the ROM fixes? Did they fix anything?

zeke009
11-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Best Buy is carrying the MPx220 in MN now and the woman behind the counter was pretty knowledgable about the ROM issues and fixes of the MPx220. Has anyone picked up one of these patched phones lately? Were the volume and camera issues still present?

She also told my friend that an AT&T customer changing their old AT&T plan to a Cingular plan would be treated as a new customer... if I read into that correctly, that would make an AT&T customer eligible for all the "new customer" discounts. Now wouldn't that be nice?!

I'll stop there tonight or tomorrow and see if that's true. I'll post what she says in the next few days.

Kris Kumar
11-30-2004, 04:10 AM
According to what we know. BB has the intermediate version of the firmware.

Orginal release was .325. Then BB got boxes with Orange stickers and version .342. And the latest MPx220 have 1.30 firmware but are not available in stores yet. Only with Cingular customer support.

As for fixes I feel that .342 is pretty much the same as .325. Slight (if any) volume increase and better mic.

zeke009
11-30-2004, 04:44 AM
That is kind of disheartening... knowing that you have to buy the phone from another source (Amazon or Best Buy) and then turn around and contact Cingular in order to send it in and get the latest firmware loaded to your phone.

But... that won't stop me from heading to the local Best Buy and seeing what kind of deals are available and if I can resist the temptation! :wink:

Thanks Kris.

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 05:38 AM
We shall see what version I get from Cingular tomorrow :)

PPCMD
11-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Some users are posting at other sites that XBM is telling customers to go back to BB during the 30 day window and only after 30 days can they call XBM. I guess the cats out of the bag and Cingular is getting tired of replacing BB phones since they keep selling them knowing the FW is not fully right yet.

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 03:46 PM
In all of this so far though, Cingular has been the best player at least in my experiance.

zeke009
11-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Is anyone who has purchased one an AT&T customer? Was there any incentive to change to a Cingular plan and was there any form a price break or discount?

My other question... I haven't seen anyone mention if the data cable/cradle was included with the package. I would assume so... but most of us know what can happen when we "assume" anything.

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
The 220 comes with a usb cable. You can also charge the phone with this cable from the usb.

james840a
11-30-2004, 05:18 PM
NEWS UPDATE

I just got my MPx220 replacement lastnight via UPS from Cingular. And lo and behold it has the ROM update 1.30.0.0 on it. YEPPY

Lastnight i took sometime to compair my old phone with the new one. Plus i had two other none mpx220/moto people to listen and compair. 1.) there is a great difference on the ring volumn of the old phone and new phone. On my old phone i could bearly hear it ring when it was in my belt clip. The New phone WOW what a difference, the volumn is really loud and i can hear it lot clearer on my belt clip. Now i wont miss any calls, like before. 2.) the volumn on the speaker phone of the new phone is improved, and is a little louder then on the old phone. 3.) The volumn on the ear peace speaker is improved also and is a little louder then on the old phone. 4.) i also took one picture from my old phone and one from the new phone. I dont know how to attach pictures here in this site. So ill discribe the difference. On both phones the setting were set to the same, Night mode with flash on. The picture from the old phone came out dark and just didnt look very good, even tho the flash was on. The picture from the new phone, same setting and same lighting, the picture came out alot better and there is a difference between the two pictures. Grated they still arent the best picture but it is only a 1.2mpixel camera compared to my canon eos 10d 6.3

All and all the update fixed the proplems that i had with the phone. Each person may have there own oppions now. But as far as im concered i am now happy with cingular since they are the ones that helped me with my proplem. Thankfully im glad that best buy screwed me, because if not i would have gottin the .342 update and not the 1.30.0.0 update. And still i will write a letter to best buy to have my 2yr 39.99 refunded back and to let them know about the hasle i went thru.

James
P.S. Thank you Cingular

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
I shall know in a few hours my ROM fate :worried:

james840a
11-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Jerry if you had cingular send it, and you are getting it day after me then good chance it has the 1.30 but ill keep my fingures crossed for you.

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah its coming overnight from Cingular.

PPCMD
11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Hopefully this is proof positive that Cingular will start selling them in the stores.

james840a
11-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Jerry, good chance that it is. Mine was sent out about a week ago.

zeke009
11-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Good news for those thinking about getting the MPx220 who are AT&T customers...

Cingular is treating AT&T customers as if they were converting over without the merger. I was also told that the store fronts will be receiving the MPx220 around the 2nd week of December. I didn't get a date, just a general idea from the guy. So we could be in store from some of the discounts that brand spanking new customers get.

Best Buy was basically giving the phone away for 2 days after Thanksgiving. I can't see Cingular not running a similar promo once they stock them in their stores and on their site. Once Best Buy's exclusive ends, the Cingular can stock them in their stores and on their site.

None the less, call your local store. The guy I spoke to at the Mall of America was very helpful and answered all my questions in less than 5 minutes.

james840a
11-30-2004, 11:56 PM
zeke, i think BB was just tring to get rid of there stock on mpx220 so they can get the new rom updates, maybe. Just my theary

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 01:37 AM
The envelope please.............

1.30.0.0.......yes!

PPCMD
12-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Congrats Jerry. I am getting tired of waiting just want to get a phone with 1.30FW very soon. Hopefully Cingular will be next week and not two more weeks. If BB gets them in with FW1.30 I may just sign or pay full price and move on.

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 02:00 AM
I called my local BB, they said the new ones are supposed to be in this week. So I am waiting. The Moto support center route will be 2 weeks long. Trying to avoid that.

kmichalec
12-01-2004, 04:16 AM
See my post about how I got Cingular XBM to swap out a 0.342 version for 1.30 version.

My Post (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6893&start=30)

k2times
12-01-2004, 04:21 AM
I called my local BB, they said the new ones are supposed to be in this week. So I am waiting. The Moto support center route will be 2 weeks long. Trying to avoid that.

I ordered the phone last week from AT&T business (which has now converted to Cingular automatically btw), and was told that it was on order. When I called yesterday it wasn't in yet, but today I got a tracking number for delivery tomorrow. Dunno if it'll have 1.3 or not, but judging from the other posts it looks like it porbably will be (yes!).

So, moral of the story is that the new shipments appear to be coming in right about......now!

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 04:25 AM
See my post about how I got Cingular XBM to swap out a 0.342 version for 1.30 version.

My Post (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6893&start=30)

Thanks for for a very descriptive report.

Now I am more excited about the 1.30 version. Since I am not a Cingular customer, will have to wait for BB or Moto. :-(

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 05:16 AM
I am finding that a few programs and utilities I liked are crashing or won't install on the 1.3 rom. this is a bit distressing

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 05:27 AM
I am finding that a few programs and utilities I liked are crashing or won't install on the 1.3 rom. this is a bit distressing

I hope I am not reading this for real. I hope I am having a nightmare. :roll:

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 05:35 AM
No it is true. Some programs won't start giving errors that they can't be found. On a second attempt they start but can't open files.

This has happened with a few programs but I'm struggling with Resco Picture viewer at the moment.

The audio is much louder in 1.3

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Ok, now I am having a number of programs that used to work just fine seize up. I wonder if it is just me or is anyone else experiencing this with the 1.30 rom?

Perhaps my Mini SD is the trouble. I will try a reformat before I give up on this.

UPDATE:
OK it seems wiping out my mini SD card has solved some problems. It looks like a totally clean start is needed for some apps.

xxpinballxx
12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
I can not believe a single phone from a leading manufacturer and a reputable phone company can hav eso many bugs and problems.

One fix and it brings two bugs....fix those two bugs and its fix brought four more bugs.

Bring me back my star-tac! LOL!

I might wait a month or so to see about the apps problems.

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Bring me back my star-tac! LOL!

:lol:
Yeah I don't remember ever wanting to throw my old star tac against a wall!

james840a
12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Jerry im glad you got the 1.30 i hope you get your programs loaded and running again. I just started off a clean slat, even re-entered my contacts by hand. I even had to re do my bluetooth car kits phonebook. But i think it was worth it. Ahhh yes the good old star-tac. I remember that one well. Shoot i may have been the last user to use it and the old analoge service.

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Almost there. It gets a bit tiring after the 3rd time :?

k2times
12-01-2004, 08:12 PM
...and the ROM is listed as .342. :(

Guess I should just call back and say that I want to exchange? Any tips from anyone?

All of my hopes for an intimate evening with my new phone are dashed! :cry:

Update: actually, the phone's F/W is listed as .343, not .342...I think that's just the AT&T F/W variant (I'm an ATT customer, bit they migrated biz users to Cingular NBO automatically) and also there is no 'dot' at all on the box...just fyi. I'm on the phone with them now....

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 09:18 PM
...and the ROM is listed as .342. :(

Guess I should just call back and say that I want to exchange? Any tips from anyone?

All of my hopes for an intimate evening with my new phone are dashed! :cry:

Looks like Moto does not have the AT&T version of the updated firmware ready.

.342 is for Cingular is the same as .343 for AT&T.
1.30 is for Cingular but for AT&T the 1.3x is missing.

I believe you might have to wait a bit longer.

I am surprised that even though AT&T-Cingular have merged and have unified support now, they still have two different branding for the same device. Talk about confusing the customer and the support personnel. :? Does anyone in the upper management know what the hell is happening at the lower levels. MPx220 could not have been launched in a more messed up environment. :roll:

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 09:22 PM
...also there is no 'dot' at all on the box...just fyi....

I heard Moto is out of fresh dots. They are thinking of refurbishing the dots. :lol:

Another rumor going around is that the upper management is reserving the dots for the RAZR. :lol:

k2times
12-01-2004, 09:24 PM
.342 is for Cingular is the same as .343 for AT&T.
1.30 is for Cingular but for AT&T the 1.3x is missing. Looks like Moto does not have the AT&T version of the updated firmware ready.

Thanks for the info Kris. I'm still on the phone with them - most likely confusing the heck out of them based on what you mentioned above. Guess I'll just send this one back and wait. The phone is cool, but I can already tell that the ringer volume is very low and the highest volume for the earpiece isn't adequate in my opinion.

Might play with it juuuust a little before I send it back though to get a feel. Overall it seems like a great phone, I just want to be sure that it's functional as...well, a phone! :D

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Might play with it juuuust a little before I send it back though to get a feel. Overall it seems like a great phone, I just want to be sure that it's functional as...well, a phone! :D

It has potential. That is why so many of us are eagerly waiting for Moto to fix the blunders.