View Full Version : Smartphones and T-Mobile?

me
11-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Anyone have any news? Any smartphones scheduled to come out on T-Mobile USA?

Mike Temporale
11-29-2004, 03:22 AM
There is nothing announced, but there are a couple rumors about the SDA and SDA Music.

coopersmartphone
11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Just want to make sure you know that you can get an UNLOCKED phone..such as the ATT Motorola MPX 200Smartphone that I bought.......put in your t-mobile SIM chip and it will work.......no problems.....MUST BE UNLOCKED TO WORK...... .I COULD NOT wait on silly Tmobile to make up their minds.....query eBAY FOR unlocked MPX200 or thereabout.....they are cheap now that the 220 is out on the market...

me
11-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Just want to make sure you know that you can get an UNLOCKED phone..such as the ATT Motorola MPX 200Smartphone that I bought.......put in your t-mobile SIM chip and it will work.......no problems.....MUST BE UNLOCKED TO WORK...... .I COULD NOT wait on silly Tmobile to make up their minds.....query eBAY FOR unlocked MPX200 or thereabout.....they are cheap now that the 220 is out on the market...

Not interested.

1) I wouldn't want the MPX200. Perhaps the 220, if they fix the bugs.

2) I wouldn't buy a phone on Ebay. Been burned there before, and so have others. Phones advertised as "like new", when in fact they are VERY used, not anywhere near new condition, with problems.

3) Much better price to buy from your carrier (my contract has long expired), covered by warranty, etc.

xxpinballxx
11-30-2004, 09:37 PM
I hate to say it but I just got out of my T-mobile contract early. I couldn't stand the terrible reception it had in my area. I have heard several others talk of their problems through T-mobile.

My T610 and treo 600 had to have barely any signal at all to even make a call and even then it would be terrible reception.

Might haqve just been my area but you think Cleveland, Ohio would be a populated enough area where they would make sure the reception was good there.

Might just be my ad experiences.

Good luck with them.

me
12-01-2004, 03:30 AM
I hate to say it but I just got out of my T-mobile contract early. I couldn't stand the terrible reception it had in my area. I have heard several others talk of their problems through T-mobile.

My reception with T-Mobile in the Los Angeles area is pretty good. Not perfect, but I doubt that any carrier has perfect reception anywhere.

I can't really compare it with most other carriers, as I have not used them. There is one I can compare it with--Sprint, which I had before T-Mobile. T-Mobile has MUCH better reception and coverage than Sprint Wireless had, at the time I last used the latter. (It's been well over a year since I have used Sprint, however, so I don't know if it has been improved since then.)

And--from what I have seen of other advertised plans, I see nothing that can compare with my T-Mobile plan--$39.95 monthly for 1000 weekday minutes, unlimited weekends. (I never go over my quota, with that plan!) Free long distance (I make all my LD calls now on my cell phone, so no LD bill!) No roaming charges from anywhere in the US. And I think free GPRS.

Is there any other plan that can beat that?

Of course, if the reception is poor, no good deal on a plan is worth it. But my reception isn't bad.

In no case would it make sense to switch carriers just to get a particular phone, and be stuck with that carrier for a year (or frequently two years these days) contract. The reception and coverage in the places one might call from, plus of course what kind of plan and price one can get, have to be the deciding factors. If one absolutely has to have a particular phone, and your carrier doesn't carry it, then yes, one should buy that phone unlocked.

But given the advantages in price and warranty of buying through one's carrier (I can get the same discount as a new user on T-Mo, in exchange for contract renewal), I'll still wait a little longer, and see if they start offering a better selection, before buying unlocked. It's certainly true that Cingular and ATTW have offered a wider phone selection lately than T-Mo, especially in the smartphone dept.!

It looks like T-Mobile finally has (or is about to have) the Motorola A630. It looks like a very interesting phone, very small with full QWERTY keyboard. Unfortunately though, not any kind of smartphone.

me
12-02-2004, 05:47 AM
There is nothing announced, but there are a couple rumors about the SDA and SDA Music.

Are these credible rumors, such as from people who might have some kind of inside info with T-Mobile USA?

Or--just speculation to the effect that since T-Mobile in Europe has these phones, they will also come to T-Mobile USA? (Not necessarily so. I understand that T-Mo USA works fairly independently of T-Mobile Europe. I don't know that in general there is much similarity between the offered phones at all.)

algorhythm
12-04-2004, 07:28 PM
This is an old thread so it's probalby out of date, but I used T-Mo in southern CA for a couple of years (moved to Phoenix last year)....came over from ATT (which sucked), unlocked my SE T616 and took it with me. Recently bought an i-Mate SP3 (same as the Audiovox and Orange), which works great, and is WAY better than the MPX220. Rumor has it T-Mo and Cingular/ATT will both introduce a version soon.

me
12-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Recently bought an i-Mate SP3 (same as the Audiovox and Orange), which works great, and is WAY better than the MPX220. Rumor has it T-Mo and Cingular/ATT will both introduce a version soon.

Cingular/ATT already has the Audiovox, for months now!

It will be news if T-Mobile USA comes out with a smartphone!

algorhythm
12-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Actually, no.....they (Cingular) had it for a while but stopped offering it when the merger went through. (There was a lot of b*tching about it on several forums.) Cingular's website no longer offers it. (Rumor has it there was pressure from Moto to only offer the MPX220....)

As to T-Mo, they've had the Nokia 6600 and SE P900 for months (not to mention the Blackberry.) And I've heard from a dependable source at T-Mo that they will offer the Audiovox by 1Q 2005.

If anything, T-Mo's phone offerings are as good as Cingular's and way better than ATT's were (when they were separate companies). They were first up with PDA phones too.

No, I'm not a T-Mo troll, and not trying to start a carrier-war thread....but I dumped ATT and went to them last year, and have been way happier. Reception in the areas I'm in (so. Cal and Phoenix) is WAY better. May have improved since the merger, though.

me
12-11-2004, 09:00 PM
[quote="algorhythm"]

If anything, T-Mo's phone offerings are as good as Cingular's and way better than ATT's were (when they were separate companies). They were first up with PDA phones too. /quote]

Well, I'm a T-MObile customer, satisfied with my reception, etc., cannot compare its reception to ATTW/Cingular, and have a better plan than I could probably get on any olther network. So, I have no plans to change carriers.

But I sure don't agree with your statement above that T-Mo has "better phone offerings".

You are wrong about the Audiovox SMT5600. Look at posts about it on this forum. It has been available from ATTW for months, and now will be porte to Cingular.

Every time I see an interesting new phone come out, it seems it is coming out on Cingular or ATTW (when the latter existed). Even the V600 came out much later on T-Mo than from the other carriers. When there is a newer improved version of a particular phone that T-Mo has, T-Mo never has the newer one. For instance, you mention Nokia 6600. I believe there is a newer version, I think 6620, that other carriers have, but not T-Mobile. The Nokia that has the fold-out QWERTY keyboard, I forget the model number--there is a newer version with Bluetooth, but T-MO only has the older one. And now there is an improved version of the Motorola V600 out, the V620, which I believe is available from some US carriers, but not T-Mo, they still have the older V600.

Pocket PC Phones like the HP 6315 don't interest me. Looks fine as a Pocket PC (although unfortunately, no CF slot like my IPAQ 2215, in which I have a 4 GB microdrive), but not a good form factor to use as my main mobile phone. (The upcoming Motorola MPX, which has the PPC Phone OS, but folds small like a clamshell phone, might indeed interest me. But where is that coming out first--Cingular, I believe!)

Why are no Microsoft Smartphones available from T-Mobile USA?

me
12-11-2004, 09:11 PM
As to T-Mo, they've had the Nokia 6600 and SE P900 for months

The SE900? Never seen that at T-Mobile. I just checked their web site and didn't see it.

algorhythm
12-11-2004, 10:24 PM
I don't think we're in disagreement about T-Mo in general....their plans are usually cheaper, and their coverage is better in the areas I use it in. (That doesn't mean to say their coverage is better everywhere...in some places Cingular's way better.)

But I have to disagree on the SMT5600....you're correct that ATTWS used to offer it, but when the merger went through, Cingular dropped a bunch of the ATT models. I just checked Cingular's site (even did a search for 'smartphone"), and they do not offer the Audiovox anymore...the only Windows smartphone they offer is the MPX220.

As I said earlier, I'm in no way a T-Mo cheerleader. I've been with ATT, Verizon, Sprint and Nextel, and have yet to find a carrier that doesn't suck in one way or another. T-Mo is hardly cutting-edge in their phones (though they're nowhere near as bad as Verizon, who have yet to learn to spell Bluetooth), but they tend to keep about even with Cingular....the problem is that, with both of them, it all depends where you are. Both companies roll out the latest and greatest at about the same time, but only in some markets.

Bottom line....if you want a cool phone you need to buy your own. That's why I'm limited to T-Mo or Cingular....because you can realistically only do that with a GSM phone.

me
12-12-2004, 03:08 AM
But I have to disagree on the SMT5600....you're correct that ATTWS used to offer it, but when the merger went through, Cingular dropped a bunch of the ATT models. I just checked Cingular's site (even did a search for 'smartphone"), and they do not offer the Audiovox anymore...the only Windows smartphone they offer is the MPX220.

Go to Amazon.com, do a search for SMT5600, and you will see it, with a discounted price for a purchase with ATTW contract.

It looks like, although Cingular bought ATTW, and they wanted the services to be integrated quickly, ATTW still has separate plans, although they are owned by CIngular. I also saw one in an ATTW store a couple weeks ago, after the takeover. (It was still called an ATTW store, although there were also signs relating to Cingular inside.)

So, you might not see the SMT5600 on the Cingular web site, but if there is still an ATTW website, I would bet it is there. Eventually, when ATTW and its plans are phased out entirely, I'm sure that the SMT5600 will be ported to Cingular.

Look at some other threads on this forum relating to that phone.

me
12-12-2004, 03:13 AM
And I've heard from a dependable source at T-Mo that they will offer the Audiovox by 1Q 2005.

Could you tell us more about this "dependable source" (without of course, revealing his/her name)?

Someone who works in a T-Mobile store, and they received info on upcoming phones?

Just curious, about what kind of source.

Any idea in what month?

algorhythm
12-12-2004, 05:07 AM
Dependable source = a mid-level T-Mo management employee in the SF Bay area, who I ping occasionally when I'm wondering why T-Mo's so screwed up (she always gives me straight answers, usually agrees they're screwed up, and usually has valid points on why the other carriers are equally screwed up. An objective friend I've known for some 20 years.)

Amazon....let's be clear about the way things work, folks. Deals offered on Amazon, eBay, etc., are through third-party vendors, not through ATT/Cingular, T-Mo, Verizon, etc. Are they legit? Sure (with rare exceptions). But just because a vendor offers a deal through Amazon does not mean Cingular is still offering the phone. It means that vendor still has units available. Yes, you can partake in the deal, there's nothing shady about it, and you'll get a valid Cingular contract. But that does not change the fact that officially, Cingular is no longer offering the phone at this time.

Officially, there are no more ATTWS plans. Cingular made an official announcement (it was in the NYTimes and WSJ) that, effective last week there was no more ATTWS, that the brand is officially phased out, and that all ATTWS customers are now Cingular customers. Certainly, the logistics of cleaning up the branding will take a few weeks...there's plenty of ATT logos out there....but it's a done deal. There =is= no more ATTWS website - try it, and see where you land...Cingular.com. And Cingular's announcement also stated that, although they will support existing customer's ATT phones and deals, that Cingular will be calling the shots as to what's offered henceforth, both in contracts and in hardware.

me
12-20-2004, 10:53 AM
There =is= no more ATTWS website - try it, and see where you land...Cingular.com.

Not completely true.

I typed in my browser www.attwireless.com, and it brought me to a web page that did have a Cingular logo on it, as well as a smaller ATT Wireless logo.

The title at the very top of the web page still said "ATT Wireless", however. And the letters in the address window of my browser still said www.attwireless.com, I was not redirected to cingular.com.

There is still a separate page for ATT Wireless, although they make it clear that is now owned by Cingular.

Also, regarding Amazon.com. Try this, go to AMazon, search for SMT5600. You'll see it. Choose the option to "purchase with service plan".

You will see a long list of "ATT Wireless" plans to choose from. Not Cingular plans!

Amazon is probably the largest seller of mobile phones in the world. They would not be listing plans called "ATT Wireless", if that were not the case.

So--although ATTW is now owned by Cingular, it seems for the time being they are still offering ATTW plans, as well as Cingular plans.

algorhythm
12-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I don't think you're getting it.

Yes, you will still get an ATT Wireless logo and website. But the company, its logo, its web address and all its assets are now owned by Cingular. Any contracts entered into after the acquistion date are legally called Cingular contracts. (Existing ATT contracts are still =called= ATT, and are honored under whatever terms they were created under, but it's all Cingular.

Try this....call ATT Wireless or email them and ask about a new contract. Ask if it will be an ATT or Cingular contract.

As to Amazon, you are mistaken. While they may be one of the largest =sources= for phones, Amazon does NOT sell phones OR contracts. Amazon is the intermediary for a number of third-party vendors, each of whom offer phones and contracts. (Same thing with several other lines of goods....they do not, for example, sell musical instruments. They are just the go-between for other vendors.) The fact that they are listing ATT plans only indicates that they too have not updated the info.

Again. try contacting Amazon about this with a direct query. The response you get will either be directly from the third-party dealer, or from Amazon on their behalf. And if you ask about an ATT plan, they will (assuming they're being honest) inform you that the ATTWS plan is now a Cingular plan.

me
12-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Nope, I think it's you who are not getting it. :roll:

Of course I know that ATTW is now owned by Cingular.

I think you're wrong about Amazon only being a conduit for 3rd party vendors, when it comes to phones. I have bought a phone from them (starting my current T-Mobile service) from them a couple years ago. All the paperwork, receipts, etc., said Amazon (as well as other papers from T-Mobile), but not the slightest mention of any 3rd party vendor.

Amazon does list items for sale from 3rd party vendors, but there is absolutely no mention of that in their phone listings. Look there yourself. They deal directly with the phone carriers, there are no 3rd parties involved. They often have better deals than any vendor, including the carrier themself. (They only deal with new customers to a service, however.)

I really think that Amazon would not have their web site have some very important info all wrong for weeks!

You stated that the SMT5600 is no longer available. I think it is. Again look at the Amazon web site, like I suggested. They have not been listing a phone as in stock that has not been available for weeks. They could not afford to be so wrong. Take a look.

I don't think you're getting it.

Yes, you will still get an ATT Wireless logo and website. But the company, its logo, its web address and all its assets are now owned by Cingular. Any contracts entered into after the acquistion date are legally called Cingular contracts. (Existing ATT contracts are still =called= ATT, and are honored under whatever terms they were created under, but it's all Cingular.

Try this....call ATT Wireless or email them and ask about a new contract. Ask if it will be an ATT or Cingular contract.

As to Amazon, you are mistaken. While they may be one of the largest =sources= for phones, Amazon does NOT sell phones OR contracts. Amazon is the intermediary for a number of third-party vendors, each of whom offer phones and contracts. (Same thing with several other lines of goods....they do not, for example, sell musical instruments. They are just the go-between for other vendors.) The fact that they are listing ATT plans only indicates that they too have not updated the info.

Again. try contacting Amazon about this with a direct query. The response you get will either be directly from the third-party dealer, or from Amazon on their behalf. And if you ask about an ATT plan, they will (assuming they're being honest) inform you that the ATTWS plan is now a Cingular plan.

algorhythm
12-22-2004, 07:24 PM
whatever, dude. you're a genius. :roll:

me
12-27-2004, 11:55 PM
whatever, dude. you're a genius. :roll:

Thanks for recognizing that. :lol:

I guess it was an attempt on your part to be sarcastic--if you cannot answer a person's arguments, make a sarcastic remark instead. :roll:

Out of curiosity, I just checked the Amazon web site, again, and it still (Dec 27) lists the SMT5600, and still lists the carrier as ATT. It definitely is directly from Amazon, not through a third party. Besides the discounted price with service, they sell it without a plan for $349.99.

Here is the URL, so you won't have to look it up:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00068577C/qid=1104187722/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-4697362-8506244?v=glance&s=wireless&n=507846

Happy New Year! :)

algorhythm
12-28-2004, 03:24 AM
if you cannot answer a person's arguments, make a sarcastic remark instead.

Or if you simply get tired of trying to explain the same thing over and over again to someone who is convinced they're right. :roll:

It's not worth the aggro to explain it all to you again, since as I said, you're a %$%^ genius. You clearly know more than the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Cingular/ATT's own corporate VPs and the folks at Amazon combined. So like I said...whatever.