View Full Version : SMT5600 to Cingular?

me
11-29-2004, 12:55 AM
With the integration of ATT into Cingular, will the SMT5600 become a Cingular phone?

If not, is it possible that they will want to clear out the stocks of the 5600 they already have, and sell them cheaply, unlocked?

encece
11-29-2004, 01:29 AM
I'm sure that the 5600's are just being rebranded under Cingular and the ROMs upgraded with Cingular settings. The phone is far from dead.

Mike Temporale
11-29-2004, 03:27 AM
The current talk is that the phone is just being rebranded. Here's the front page post Marlof made on it.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45466

gcherian
11-29-2004, 05:22 AM
If not, is it possible that they will want to clear out the stocks of the 5600 they already have, and sell them cheaply, unlocked?

That is a great wish - to have it cheap and unlocked. As of now you would not get either :( Will have to wait for the cingular testing to be over and then release the phone with no mmode software and preset cingular GPRS settings. Get one and unlock it, you would not be sorry.

BruceA
11-29-2004, 05:39 AM
I ordered an Audiovox SMT5600 from Wirefly.com on 11/24, last Wednesday. I called after checking the website to make sure I understood everything. I had to purchase the 5600 with a new activation, so signed up for the 450 minutes for one year for $39.95 per month - the phone assistant said AT&T had the unlimited Data Plan for $19.95, but it wasn't listed on Wirefly's options, and to call after the phone arrived and to just add it through AT&T.

I definitely want to get the Cingular Rollover minutes, and the fellow said that come January 2005, I could change to a Cingular plan - the pricing would be the same, too - for plan minutes and unlimited data.

Appears that Cingular is intending to continue to service the SMT 5600 units that are already on AT&T network. There was no mention of any reprogramming or such, either.

By the way, I got the phone, less the rebates, for $ -.01...!! That was with a new activation.

My thanks for this website and the valuable informaiton throughout!! I've been selling computers for 20 years, but am totally new to the Smartphone realm, and handhelds. I'm really appreciating the help from this forum.

Mike Temporale
11-29-2004, 11:57 AM
My thanks for this website and the valuable informaiton throughout!! I've been selling computers for 20 years, but am totally new to the Smartphone realm, and handhelds. I'm really appreciating the help from this forum.

We are lucky, the forums are filled with very knowledgeable people, and they are all pretty friendly too! :) Enjoy your new phone.