View Full Version : Smartphones in Canada: The Rumours

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 10:18 PM
An anonymous source has tipped us off to some interesting news about Smartphones being released in Canada. This is a big deal for us Canadians, because to date none of our carriers have released any devices.First up, we have the Voq - apparently it will be available in Canada in the next two to four weeks. It won't be released by a carrier though, so we're probably talking about non-SIM locked versions with no carrier subsidies, which means an expensive phone. Still, for those of you wanting a Smartphone with a keyboard, this is the only game in town. I wish it had a different design though - I'm not a big fan (I haven't seen a shipping production model though).Next, the Motorola MPx220 will make it's way to our sparsely populated country sometime in the first half of 2005, likely under the Rogers Wireless brand. This is big news, because it means they'll be the first Canadian carrier to release a Smartphone. One would hope though that by the time they release it, all the nasty bugs in the MPx220 will be ironed out.Rejoice my fellow Canadians, the Smartphones cometh! 8)

Jerry Raia
11-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Bugs? Bugs??

Those are features my friend!

jscown
11-26-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah, it would be good if all you beta testers out there get the phones sorted out for us Canucks... :lol:

It would be great to have some choice of networks though. Given Telus's (large CDMA carrier) aversion to not only smartphones, but also to Bluetooth, where else can a thinking user go but to Rogers? In terms of handset choice, Bell (another big CDMA carrier) isn't much different than Telus. With the Fido acquisition, Rogers has tied up the GSM market, where innovation in handsets seems to live and flourish. However, in my experience, Rogers network isn't as good as either Bell or Telus, where I live at least.

Rogers is still looking like the better choice, but it would be great if I didn't always feel that the compromise is so costly... :cry:

Cheers, Jack

Taklamakan
11-26-2004, 02:27 AM
Alright! Now if only Fido would release the MPX.

maximus
11-26-2004, 02:29 AM
I was in an import shop at simlim tower singapore two weeks ago.
With an mpx220 on my palm. Felt very nice on my palm.
Very nice screen. Volume is OK (simlim is a very crowded place).
Camera is fine. Fast processor ...
Thinking whether I should buy it or not. Then I decided to delay the purchase until Kris Kumar (and others) finished their beta test :)

Believe me, it was the toughest decision I made this month.

Mike Temporale
11-26-2004, 03:19 AM
Woo Hoo!!! 8)

These phones are both GSM based, so the only possible carrier is Rogers/Fido. Unless Moto and Sierra are working on a CDMA version, but that's highly unlikely.

Jerry Raia
11-26-2004, 04:22 AM
Thinking whether I should buy it or not. Then I decided to delay the purchase until Kris Kumar (and others) finished their beta test :)

Maybe we'll tell you when we are done testing......
aaaaannnnnndddddd maybe we won't 8)

Kris Kumar
11-26-2004, 04:40 AM
Believe me, it was the toughest decision I made this month.

You made the right decision. :lol:

Latest-Coolest-Hippest Gadget: $350 to $500
Peace of Mind: Priceless

canux
11-26-2004, 06:00 AM
I was talking to a friend this past weekend who works for Sierra Wireless...he told me that Rogers is going to be the carrier for the Voq...I guess time will tell. He also told be that he can get the phone via their friends and family program for $400 (CDN). Not sure if that's a deal or not, but at least there's no contract obligation. I am hopeful that Telus will carry a CDMA phone, but based on their track record, I won't hold my breath. But wait...I could buy an obsolete PPC phone for $1,050 CDN...$900 CDN with a 3-year contract...what a bargain! :roll:

conflagrare4
11-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Maybe we'll tell you when we are done testing......
aaaaannnnnndddddd maybe we won't 8)

typical self-centered, arrogant americans.

ghenne
11-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Why not buy a phone like the i-Mate from Expansys?

http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=SMARTPHONE_3

It's 589 CAD - cheaper if you buy it from Expansys US and have a friend ship it to you. You'll need to get a SIM card from Rogers, but then you should be working.

Similarly, you can buy an MPx220 in the states.

Or am I missing something?

Kris Kumar
11-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Or am I missing something?

Subsidized prices. :-)

Mike Temporale
11-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Why not buy a phone like the i-Mate from Expansys?

That's fine for you and me and others that are in the know. However, if you don't get the phone into the local stores, most people will not buy them. I think it's safe to say, that the majority of people buying a cell phone would like to hold the phone and look at the finer aspects of the design.

As well, this would add local support from your carrier if something was to go wrong. And I'm referring to support on their network. Not the standard reply of "that is not our phone, and we can't offer any advice for you". :)

groan
11-26-2004, 11:21 PM
ARGH! nice news, now that i finally gave up and bought the Treo! (which is a nice phone and does it's job very well)

oh well, i guess i'll wait to see what's available in 3 years.