View Full Version : My new MPX-220 will be here on Monday!!!!!

Michael95GT
11-24-2004, 09:00 PM
I just called Cingular XBM (1-800-801-1101) the whole thing took less than 5 minutes. The rep looked up the phone, verified that there is a "Product Advisery" on it, then took my IMEI and the checked the ROM version. He then took my physical address and asked what type of shipping I wanted. I took the $7.50 overnight, and since tomorrow is a holiday, and I called too late for it to be shipped today, it will be shipped Friday via FedX

He also appologized at least two times for me having to deal with problem phone and said that they were doing everything possible to get the phones replaced.8)

Overall I couldn't ask for a better C/S experience. :D :D

Hobbes
11-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Wow. Maybe there is hope for us early adopters afterall. When you get it, please tell us what version you get. I've heard that Cingular (or Motorola) is releaseing a 1.30 Manufacturer ROM and not just the .342

Kris Kumar
11-24-2004, 10:02 PM
He then took my physical address and asked what type of shipping I wanted. I took the $7.50 overnight, ...

Glad that Cingular is helping out its customers instead of acting clueless. And they are becoming more consistent in their dealings with their customers.

Jerry Raia
11-25-2004, 07:10 AM
I'm going to try Cingular again on Monday. Like playing Russian Roulette. Just depends on who you get on the phone it seems.

Michael95GT
11-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Just got mine with (F/W 1.30), about an hour ago. There is a night and day difference. NORMAL profile is as loud as the OUTDOOR profile was on the other phone. I haven't played with the camera much yet, but I did check out the video camera; on the other phone it was practically useless. On this one, it's actually fun to play around with. More updates to come as I get to play around with it some more.

BTW, it had the Orange sticker on the box.

besiktas
11-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Can you tell me how I should check the firmware version before I buy ? I read that mpx220 can be .342 and also 1.3 at the same time, I mean are they different kind of versions ?

Kris Kumar
11-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Can you tell me how I should check the firmware version before I buy ? I read that mpx220 can be .342 and also 1.3 at the same time, I mean are they different kind of versions ?

Power up the phone with SIM card. Then press Start->Settings->About.

Look for the Manufacturer version. It should read 1.30.

Kris Kumar
11-27-2004, 07:23 AM

Thanks for pointing out that boxes with Orange stickers may have the updated ROM. :? Moto/Cingular/BB couldn't have made things more easier for us.

Jerry Raia
11-27-2004, 07:36 AM

Thanks for pointing out that boxes with Orange stickers may have the updated ROM. :? Moto/Cingular/BB couldn't have made things more easier for us.

Oh sure they could have. There are a lot of other colors to go yet :lol:

Mike Temporale
11-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Why do I get the feeling that the first boxes with an orange sticker were nothing more than the stock guy slapping stickers on the existing inventory. :?

kmichalec
11-28-2004, 04:27 AM
Power up the phone with SIM card. Then press Start->Settings->About.

Look for the Manufacturer version. It should read 1.30.

Kris,

How sure are you that is should be 1.30? (Do you actaully have one with that number?) I was at two different Best Buy stores yesterday in Michigan, and I had them open and boot up 5 different phones between the two stores, and they all had version 0.342.0.0, and all had the orange sticker. I specifically asked the employees, and they said that these are the ones shipped to them after they returned all the ones from the Recall.

So this is the one that I have. Should I go back and keep looking for 1.30?

Kris Kumar
11-28-2004, 04:53 AM
So this is the one that I have. Should I go back and keep looking for 1.30?

1.30 is the latest firmware, that we should be looking out for. But BB currently does not have them in stock. :-( If you are not in a hurry, I would recommend that you keep looking, check back with them in a week. That is what I am doing.

Only Cingular support has them or maybe Moto support.

kmichalec
11-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Only Cingular support has them or maybe Moto support.

Do you mean at a Cingular store, or do you have to call Cingular support through the 611 number? The last Cingular store I went to knew very little about the phone other than what they had heard, but they hadn't even held one.

Kris Kumar
11-28-2004, 05:48 AM
Cingular support line, not the stores.

Don't know the 800# number but one of the threads has them. It is an 800# for Cingular XBM - eXchange By Mail.

Jerry Raia
11-28-2004, 06:08 AM
(800) 801-1101

I'll be calling it Monday to see if I can get a 2nd replacement phone :roll:

james840a
11-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I called, about a week ago, i had it sent ground. No cense wasting more money on the thing. I should be getting tomorrow Tuesday. Hope it has the update, or its going back, with a letter. They sent it out last monday, keeping fingures crossed. I was trasfered to cingular XBM by the best buy C/S.

Ill let you know what i get in the mail.

Jerry Raia
11-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I called today and a new one will be here tomorrow.

xxpinballxx
11-29-2004, 09:48 PM
I have had this phone for less than a month and now I am getting my thrid one!

Is ther ean easy way of backing up the setting and the files instead of going through activesync and copying them all indiviually?

I did alot of picture resizing and altering of the Homescreen through the Homescreen designer trail and do not want to have to go through all that again!

Any help would be appreciated!

Jerry Raia
11-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Unless you have a mini SD card that you had the files on the short answer is no.

Backup/Recovery software is another option but recoveries are not always successful on a different ROM version from the backup.

xxpinballxx
11-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks Jerry, I guess I am off to go and copy everything back to my desktop.

All that time down the drain.

You think I Should wait a month or so and see if there is going to be any other updated versions?

Jerry Raia
11-30-2004, 02:44 AM
You think I Should wait a month or so and see if there is going to be any other updated versions?

Well tomorrow afternoon I'll have a new phone. I'll post which ROM version I get and the changes noted if any.

james840a
11-30-2004, 05:42 PM
NEWS UPDATE sorry about repeats in the discuss group dont know how to link to the other post

I just got my MPx220 replacement lastnight via UPS from Cingular. And lo and behold it has the ROM update 1.30.0.0 on it. YEPPY

Lastnight i took sometime to compair my old phone with the new one. Plus i had two other none mpx220/moto people to listen and compair. 1.) there is a great difference on the ring volumn of the old phone and new phone. On my old phone i could bearly hear it ring when it was in my belt clip. The New phone WOW what a difference, the volumn is really loud and i can hear it lot clearer on my belt clip. Now i wont miss any calls, like before. 2.) the volumn on the speaker phone of the new phone is improved, and is a little louder then on the old phone. 3.) The volumn on the ear peace speaker is improved also and is a little louder then on the old phone. 4.) i also took one picture from my old phone and one from the new phone. I dont know how to attach pictures here in this site. So ill discribe the difference. On both phones the setting were set to the same, Night mode with flash on. The picture from the old phone came out dark and just didnt look very good, even tho the flash was on. The picture from the new phone, same setting and same lighting, the picture came out alot better and there is a difference between the two pictures. Grated they still arent the best picture but it is only a 1.2mpixel camera compared to my canon eos 10d 6.3

All and all the update fixed the proplems that i had with the phone. Each person may have there own oppions now. But as far as im concered i am now happy with cingular since they are the ones that helped me with my proplem. Thankfully im glad that best buy screwed me, because if not i would have gottin the .342 update and not the 1.30.0.0 update. And still i will write a letter to best buy to have my 2yr 39.99 refunded back and to let them know about the hasle i went thru.

James
P.S. Thank you Cingular

xxpinballxx
11-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks james for the comparison. I did go back and get my .342. Barely any difference in all aspects if you ask me. I guess as long as the ringer is louder and the earpiece i can be happy with this phone. Those were my two big gripes.

Now i have to call cingular XBM and get my updated phone.
I think I will write a letter too. What did you mean by refunding your 2yr. 39.99?

james840a
11-30-2004, 07:45 PM
the 2yr was for the extended warrenty plan. Now that i have got my phone replaced from cingular.

Welcome everyone

xxpinballxx
11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
I see. I also purchased the warranty. I think you should at least get some type of gift card in that amount. Let me know of any refund if you could.

Thanks again for the comparison.[/quote]

stevew
11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a question....why in the world doesn't Moto or Cingular have the ROM update available for download like Pocket PC vendors? Wouldn't it be easier on everyone involved rather than all this returning units, hoping you get an updated phone and all the phone calls and hassels? I don't get it.

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Just got my replacement from Cingular:

1.30.0.0 :rock on dude!:

Haven't had a chance to use it much yet though.

PPCMD
12-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Not sure why, it could be that they are updating the ROM alot, could be that only Cingular is supporting this phone so they are only worried about a Cingular ROM right now.

Indications are that they may offer d/l ROM's later but that is rumor and speculation right now.

Lastly this isn't like all other PPC's since it has a phone stack involved and you could turn it into a paperweight and some users have no clue how to do this.

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Anyone who went through the i600 upgrade disaster knows how that can be 8)

Mike Temporale
12-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Just got my replacement from Cingular:

1.30.0.0 :rock on dude!:

Congrats!

kmichalec
12-01-2004, 04:11 AM
I had version 0.342, and here's what I did. I called XBM, and told them I had version 0.325, even though I really have version 0.342 (as they send you an upgrade if it has version 0.342, because the reps think thats the latest version). They overnighted me a new phone, and it has version 1.30. I doubt they will bother to check the version number when I send the old one back, as they will likely just reflash it with 1.30, and send it out to someone else. Besides, it's not like they aren't getting the phone back, so it's not like they could really complain.

The phone looks new, but I did notice that the plastic stickers that come on the screens look like they were removed and then put back on (they were crooked), so it very well could have been someone else's phone that they reflashed.

I have been testing the two side by side, and sure enough, it does have a bunch of bugs fixed.

1. The keypad backlight is now tied to the backlight time setting. Before, the keypad would go out after 2-3 seconds no matter what the backlight time was set for.
2. The earpiece volume is noticably better.
3. The camera seems a little better than before. It's still not great, but at least in low light, I can now make out what it is I'm trying to take a picture of, whereas before, I couldn't even make it out.
4. I can't verify the bluetooth option as I don't have a Bluetooth headset.

So, far, I'm glad I did it. At this point, I would highly suggest doing the same.

If you have already called in, and are worried that they might have noted your version in the notes, I called in twice asking for information, and they checked my phone and version number all three times like they didn't know what it was from the time before. The first time, i told them I had version 0.342, before I knew that they wouldn't do anything for that version. The second time, the person was just plain clueless and I got frustrated and couldn't deal with the guy. The third time, I started off with a list of the issues for version 0.325. The when the lady asked me to check the version number, I told them the version number was 0.325.0.0. Don't bother mentioning version 1.30, as they really don't know anything about it. Just rest assured that the new versions are coming with 1.30.

Hope this helps!

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Excited to hear about the fixes. :-)

Especially the keypad backlight timeout. It annoys me while driving.

The sad part is that even SP3i has the same problem. I think I should write to them and request them to fix it.

JonJonB32
12-01-2004, 07:42 AM
I had version 0.342, and here's what I did. I called XBM, and told them I had version 0.325, even though I really have version 0.342 (as they send you an upgrade if it has version 0.342, because the reps think thats the latest version). They overnighted me a new phone, and it has version 1.30. I doubt they will bother to check the version number when I send the old one back, as they will likely just reflash it with 1.30, and send it out to someone else. Besides, it's not like they aren't getting the phone back, so it's not like they could really complain.

The phone looks new, but I did notice that the plastic stickers that come on the screens look like they were removed and then put back on (they were crooked), so it very well could have been someone else's phone that they reflashed.

I have been testing the two side by side, and sure enough, it does have a bunch of bugs fixed.

1. The keypad backlight is now tied to the backlight time setting. Before, the keypad would go out after 2-3 seconds no matter what the backlight time was set for.
2. The earpiece volume is noticably better.
3. The camera seems a little better than before. It's still not great, but at least in low light, I can now make out what it is I'm trying to take a picture of, whereas before, I couldn't even make it out.
4. I can't verify the bluetooth option as I don't have a Bluetooth headset.

So, far, I'm glad I did it. At this point, I would highly suggest doing the same.

If you have already called in, and are worried that they might have noted your version in the notes, I called in twice asking for information, and they checked my phone and version number all three times like they didn't know what it was from the time before. The first time, i told them I had version 0.342, before I knew that they wouldn't do anything for that version. The second time, the person was just plain clueless and I got frustrated and couldn't deal with the guy. The third time, I started off with a list of the issues for version 0.325. The when the lady asked me to check the version number, I told them the version number was 0.325.0.0. Don't bother mentioning version 1.30, as they really don't know anything about it. Just rest assured that the new versions are coming with 1.30.

Hope this helps!

I bought the MPx220 (with the orange sticker supposedly indicating it as a 'new/fixed version') last "Black Friday" from Best Buy in the Los Angeles area. Here's the info from the 'ABOUT' menu from my phone:

ROM update versions:
Operator: 0.180.1003.0
Manufacturer: 0.342.0.0

I would like to get a new phone sent to me with the new rom version 1.30 that seem to fix the problems most common with this phone model!

I hope to follow the directions as described by kmichalec so that I know for sure I have the latest MPx220 phone.

ALL THE HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thank You!
8)

JonJonB32
12-01-2004, 08:09 AM
I found the Cingular XBM number on the 1st page of this thread... duh!!! :roll:

I guess all the reading about the issues with the MPx220 is finally getting to me. I think I need some sleep.

Wish me luck anyway with getting a new phone with the latest upates; I hope I get this all resolved soon. Good luck to all who's in the same position I'm in.

Kris Kumar
12-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Wish me luck anyway with getting a new phone with the latest upates; I hope I get this all resolved soon. Good luck to all who's in the same position I'm in.

All the best. :-)

james840a
12-01-2004, 05:22 PM
kmichalec , Congrats! on the phone.
I too see the same difference between the old and new.
What was the blue tooth option? is it the one about the bluetooth being on and taking a picture? or was it about the voice dail over bluetooth?

at lest cingular is helping out its customers and taking care of them. Unlike Bst buy.

I have to send back my old phone this week. Plus i might even send a thank you letter with it.

Jerry Raia
12-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Mine was definitely a reflashed phone. Crooked stickers and all. Also notice the sticker under the battery. Mine says 325 even though the ROM is 1.30

Cingular has been great about this. This is my second swap from them.

JonJonB32
12-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I just have to say that my research and reading about the MPx220 may pay off - especially with resolving the problems with the phones. My phone with the latest firmware installed will arrive overnight tomorrow, 12/2! Hopefully it will be with the F/W 1.30 version as suppose to the .342 Cingular XBM still had in their records when I spoke to a VERY APOLOGETIC XBM rep.

I have to give special recognition to kmichalec and others on this thread/board who provided me and others with the necessary information I/we needed to get this all resolved. Thank You all very much!!!

... And all this with just one phone call attempt !

Assuming that all goes well with my replacement phone tomorrow, I also highly suggest those who still have issues with their phone to contact Cingular XBM (800) 801-1101. I will follow-up on this experience if people want further evidence that this exchange program works!

Good Luck!

kmichalec
12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
kmichalec , Congrats! on the phone.
I too see the same difference between the old and new.
What was the blue tooth option? is it the one about the bluetooth being on and taking a picture? or was it about the voice dail over bluetooth?

I've heard that if you turn on the camera when Bluetooth is on, Bluetooth will stop working, but I've never tried it before or after, as I have nothing with Bluetooth to test it with.

I've also heard of the other one too, but, again, wasn't able to test it.

Thanks!

kmichalec

kmichalec
12-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Mine was definitely a reflashed phone. Crooked stickers and all. Also notice the sticker under the battery. Mine says 325 even though the ROM is 1.30

Jerry,

I noticed the crooked stickers too, which made me think that the phone might have been a return. However, as to the 325 under the battery, even my Brand New one from Best Buy, which had 342 loaded, said 325 under the battery. So, that doesn't neccessarily mean it was a refurb, but I'm betting the random slapping on of screen protector stickers might be a giveaway.

:o

kmichalec
12-01-2004, 10:22 PM
I have to give special recognition to kmichalec and others on this thread/board who provided me and others with the necessary information I/we needed to get this all resolved. Thank You all very much!!!

... And all this with just one phone call attempt !

Congrats! Glad it's working out for you! I'm gald to help. I know how excited I got when I got the phone, and if I can help someone else maintain that level too, then I don't mind one bit!

We look forward to hearing your update!

james840a
12-01-2004, 10:56 PM
kmichalec, ill check it out tonight. I have a bluetooth headset at home and my car kit has bluetooth. So ill try it out and give a report.

james840a
12-02-2004, 05:08 PM
kmichalec,
I checked it out lastnight, when i have the bluetooth on the camera worked great, Didnt get a scrammbled picture, even when i was in the middle of a call on my bluetooth headset, the camera worked great.

cortez
12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
got my Cingular version today and as others have indicated there are some notable differences between .342 and 1.3. my only "small" complaint is that i had to use the registry to enable Clear-Type... but i'm happy now. and yes, the bluetooth-headset bug (doesn't work the first time it's used after powering on the phone) appears to have been fixed.

maybe i'll consider Cingular as a wireless cell provider in the future....