View Full Version : Very disappointed (RE All I wanted for Christmas was a Smartphone)

mar2k
11-20-2004, 07:41 AM
:cry:

I preface my comments by saying I am currently with Cingular and have no plans to change to Verizon or T-Mobile.

Now that I am still reading complaints from users with the new Mpx220 .342 firmware still having some issues, the MPx220 launch is truly a major disappointment. I was so looking forward to this phone. I can live without a camera, but the point of the Windows Mobile for Smartphone platform is to be a great PHONE first and foremost, otherwise you might as well get a Pocket PC with greater functionality. This is truly a debacle and Motorola is really missing the boat with the holiday buying season getting into full force.

The problem is there are no real alternatives. The Vox SMT5600 has been pulled off shelves due to the ATTWS merger with no definitive plans for the Cingular to sell the phone from this point forward. The i-mate SP3i is not an option right now because the version being sold (at Expansys) does not include the GSM 850 band (if someone finds a definite source for the North American version, please PM me!).

So here I was a month ago thinking there would be 3-4 Smartphone options to choose from and the bottom line is unless I want to purchase a half-baked MPx220, there are zero alternatives.

Unless Motorola really fixes the MPx220, Cingular decides to sell the SMT 5600, or i-mate does release the SP3i version with the 850 GSM band, I will be content to wait it out I suppose.

Kris Kumar
11-20-2004, 05:21 PM
I agree with you mar2k.

In the last few weeks things have changed. The picture is not as rosy as we once thought it to be. Thanks to the MPx220 PR fiasco and the SMT5600 pullout has left the Smartphone customers stranded.

BTW: SMT5600 is still available on the AT&T Business site. In fact depending on your company, you may get good discount on the handset and the plans, if you go the Business site route.

revolution.cx
11-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Amazon still has the SMT5600 both with a plan and rebate for a net cost of -$25 and for the phone by itself for $350. You can unlock the phone at www.c500-unlock.com for about $40 and use it on T-Mobile or any GSM carrier you wish.

Janak Parekh
11-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Amazon still has the SMT5600 both with a plan and rebate for a net cost of -$25 and for the phone by itself for $350. You can unlock the phone at www.c500-unlock.com for about $40 and use it on T-Mobile or any GSM carrier you wish.
Except it sounds like he already has a plan. :( Perhaps you can buy an unactivated version from them?

I can't believe I have better choices on Verizon. 8O

--janak

revolution.cx
11-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Except it sounds like he already has a plan. :( Perhaps you can buy an unactivated version from them?

I can't believe I have better choices on Verizon. 8O

--janak

Whoops, scrolled down too far and missed the first line of the post.

Probably the easiest way would be to buy the SMT5600 without a plan from Amazon for $350. It should work just fine. It's not like they switched off the ATT towers after the merger.

I can't say I'm excited about the 220. The screen is just too small.

I like flip phones but the SMT5600 is so well executed I can live without the flip.

Kris Kumar
11-20-2004, 10:09 PM
A month or so ago when we started hearing the product launch announcements, it seemed like finally the customers would be able to buy the phone of their liking, with "complete" support and service. Not to mention the low price that you get when you buy a phone with service or thru a carrier.

But now every option has some negative or the other:
- i600 - Strong network, but high cost of ownership for an outdated model.

- Motorola MPx220 - Has the potential to be succesful. But the takeoff has not been good. Support and Service? I don't know where to go. Too many cooks behind this model.

- SMT5600 - Don't know if Cingular is going to support it and how? Price is good. But the phone is available only thru the now technically non-existent AT&T Wireless. How can I sign a annual contract knowing that the company is no more? What happens if I want to switch data or voice plans. Will AT&T/Cingular let me do it or will I have to switch to Cingular. Then I have to unlock. It is not a pain..but it is a pain.

- The bigger problem is that Smartphones are not getting the shelf space in the stores that I thought it would be getting. Without the display in the stores, the Smartphones cannot gain popularity.

- E-Bay and online stores are great for enthusiasts or people who know the technology. But not sure if it works for everyone.

revolution.cx
11-21-2004, 03:50 AM
There's a guy in my neighborhood who has a mobile barber shop run out of an old Winnebago. It's painted all funky and he's got a big old ghetto style sign that he props up against it that says "Haircuts $5".

Basically he's got more drive, competence and reach than Microsoft's Smartphone marketing efforts in the USA.

cortez
11-21-2004, 09:05 AM
today all of a sudden i couldn't connect to the GPRS to check email or browse the web. when i attempted to connect, the little G would appear over the signal strength meter, then the normal antenna would apppear, then the little G, then the antenna THEN the little G would go away and i'd get the "Unable to connect to the network...blah, blah" message. so.... I

- called t-mo and asked if there were any network issues and they said no.
- talked to tier 3 support to verify my settings and they could see my phone login(?) to their system so i had GPRS access.
- took my sim card out and put it in my MPx200, which has WM 2003 and the exact same connection settings, and i was able to browse the web and check email without a problem.
- put my sim card in my wife's V300 and had no problems getting to t-zones
- hard-reset the MPx220 and inserted my wife's Cingular SIM card and tried to access the web and... the little G would appear over the signal strength meter, then the normal antenna would apppear, then the little G, then the antenna THEN the little G would go away and i'd get the "Unable to connect to the network...blah, blah" message.

has anyone else had GPRS issues w/.342 ROM...???

i hope this is a phone/hardware issue and not software... 8O (<---me as i encounter new friggin issues with this phone)

cellu_girl
11-21-2004, 10:42 AM
I am with att/cingular and I want to stay with them but honestly how is the mpx220, and will something be coming out later in like 2 months.
and when will you be able to get the mpx220

Mike Temporale
11-21-2004, 12:29 PM
The i-mate SP3i is not an option right now because the version being sold (at Expansys) does not include the GSM 850 band (if someone finds a definite source for the North American version, please PM me!).

And let us know too! That would be front page material. :wink:

Unless Motorola really fixes the MPx220, Cingular decides to sell the SMT 5600, or i-mate does release the SP3i version with the 850 GSM band, I will be content to wait it out I suppose.

As bad as your options are, they are better than what we have here in Canada. None of our carriers have a Windows Mobile device, not even a 2002 based one. :( I turned to ebay. I have purchase a new, never opened SMT5600 for less than Amazon is selling it (without a contract). If the UPS strike is avioded, I should get it this week. :?

Mike Temporale
11-21-2004, 12:48 PM
But now every option has some negative or the other...

Kind of scary eh. How come that is? For the most part, the problems are not related to Windows Mobile. They are all carrier or manufacturer problems. :? Considering how long it took Moto to get the 220 to market, you would expect that problems like the ones we are seeing would have been worked out by now. With all the pre-production models floating around, and nobody complained or noticed it had a quiet speaker?

NYC567user
11-21-2004, 02:23 PM
I agree with your comments, but what about the VOQ A11? www.voq.com

It's not carrier locked and it works on 850 band.

what I cannot find is too many real user reviews on it, just general overviews with manufacturer data copy/pasted. Anyone with real world user comments?

Mike Temporale
11-21-2004, 02:44 PM
I agree with your comments, but what about the VOQ A11? www.voq.com

It's not carrier locked and it works on 850 band.

what I cannot find is too many real user reviews on it, just general overviews with manufacturer data copy/pasted. Anyone with real world user comments?

Check out this review (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5309) I did on the Voq. It wasn't terribly in depth, but it should help you get a better understanding of the device.

The biggest problem with the Voq, is it's size. It's just so damn big. Add to that, the lack of Bluetooth, and suddenly it's no better than the rest of the phones out there. Crippled due to it's size and lack of connectivity. :evil: If the Voq was smaller, I would buy it in an instant. Even without Bluetooth.

Kris Kumar
11-21-2004, 05:31 PM

No GPRS problem over here. Though I am begining to feel that .342 does not have enough voice boost compared to my MPx200. But the mic problem seems to have been fixed.

Kris Kumar
11-21-2004, 05:36 PM
I am with att/cingular and I want to stay with them but honestly how is the mpx220, and will something be coming out later in like 2 months.

Check out the last page of the review to learn about the dirty secrets..
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,6701

Overall I am pretty pleased with the phone as far as the hardware spec is concerned. I am keeping fingers crossed and hoping that Moto will come up software update for the minor and major issues.

Kris Kumar
11-21-2004, 06:54 PM
With all the pre-production models floating around, and nobody complained or noticed it had a quiet speaker?

Howard Chui and Bengal Boy both I believe had mentioned in their reviews that the MPx220 suffers from low volume and mic problems. And they had dismissed it as issues with pre-production models. Someone in Moto's quality control department slipped. And the product managers obviously did not read the reviews by two people whose comments are respected by the cell phone market.

cortez
11-21-2004, 09:01 PM

No GPRS problem over here. Though I am begining to feel that .342 does not have enough voice boost compared to my MPx200. But the mic problem seems to have been fixed.

well...i took the phone back and tried my SIM in a new device and i had the same problem. (which at this point can be a good thing). back to t-mo for some help...

cortez
11-21-2004, 11:56 PM
finally got connected! t-mo Tier 3 support had me kill the DNS server entries on the GRPS settings or, leave them at 0.0.0.0. i don't understand it, but it worked. i didn't even think to try this. it is interesting, though, that it stopped working all together.

i'm a happy-camper (until the next boo-boo). :)

Jerry Raia
11-22-2004, 05:59 AM

There will always be something else coming out in 2 months. Unless you are a SmartPhone Junkie I would hold off on the 220 and see how this whole mess plays out.

Of course nut cases like me don't listen to their own advice and just have to have it when it comes out.

I couldnt help it!!! :crazyeyes:

scottb
11-24-2004, 08:09 PM
:cry:

I preface my comments by saying I am currently with Cingular and have no plans to change to Verizon or T-Mobile.
[snip...]
The problem is there are no real alternatives. The Vox SMT5600 has been pulled off shelves due to the ATTWS merger with no definitive plans for the Cingular to sell the phone from this point forward. The i-mate SP3i is not an option right now because the version being sold (at Expansys) does not include the GSM 850 band (if someone finds a definite source for the North American version, please PM me!).
[...snip]

Your conclusion that there are "no real alternatives" is your choice, not the general situation. I realize you prefaced your post with your provider disclaimer, but do you really have no choice? Do VZW, Sprint and T-Mo have coverage in your area? If they do, then there is a choice.

Wouldn't a more accurate statement be there is no choice for Cingular customers? I'm quite happy with my i600 on VZW.