View Full Version : Unlocked SMT5600 / SMS issues

ric0chet
11-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Hey all -

I'm trying to figure out how broad this SMS issue I'm having with my 5600 is. It's an unlocked 5600, and my provider is T-Mobile. Here's the deal: I can send SMS messages just fine. However, if someone sends me one and I reply to it, they never get my reply. If I send to myself, I can reply just fine. The only people I've tested this with are on AT&T & Verizon, so I don't know if it would be an issue with other T-mobile folks or not.

Can anyone who's using an unlocked 5600 on a provider *other* than AT&T do a little testing on this and let me know what happens for you? Or, feel free to contact me if you are willing to do some testing with me on this one. It's a small issue, but still quite irritating.

Thanks!

-Steve

Mike Temporale
11-19-2004, 11:59 AM
My first thought is that something isn't configured correctly. But that's just a guess. I don't have a 5600, and I'm not on any of those carriers, so.... :)

ric0chet
11-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Well, if I am understanding things correctly, the only setting that would really affect SMS is the message center #, and what shows up is the correct T-Mobile one.

It doesn't appear to be a ROM issue - I flashed my phone with the Orange ROM this morning and it still had the problem.

What I *don't* know is that if there is something coded in incoming SMS messages that is causing them to be sent to never never land when I reply to them.

There's gotta be someone else around here with an unlocked 5600 ... ?!?

-Steve

aristoBrat
11-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I have an unlocked 5600 and have the same problem w/ the SMS replies (using the AT&T rom).

You've already tried the Orange rom, so I'll try my imate rom and see what the results are. I'll also try my old Nokia phone and see if it has any problems replying, ruling out something on T-Mobile's end.

Mike Temporale
11-19-2004, 10:52 PM
I'll also try my old Nokia phone and see if it has any problems replying, ruling out something on T-Mobile's end.

Ya, it could be something between T-Mo and the other carriers.

shaskin
11-22-2004, 12:50 AM
I think it's a T-Mobile issue. I have the same problem with my E200 and my friends on Cingular.

I've found that it not only happens when I reply, but also if I omit the area code for local numbers.

Mike Temporale
11-22-2004, 02:38 AM
Could it be that the address that is used for replies isn't formated correctly? Maybe it's missing a + or something. Just a thought.

windmiller
11-30-2004, 03:31 PM
I am on Cingular and am having problems sending, while not the same issues and SMS issue on an unlocked SMT 56600 still. It worked for about a week and now when I try and send it states that the network is not avalible. I have the Cingular Media Works plan so I should have unlimited SMS.

aristoBrat
01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
T-Mobile's official response:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4461372#post4461372

ebelen1
01-31-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm new to the smartphone world but the agent at AT&T (now Cingular) said that unlocking the phone would mess up internet and messaging capability. Since I've been a long-time AT&T customer, this is no issue for me. And since the merger, my reception has increased dramatically. The only difference I can see are pricing plan differences, which should change to one standard very soon.

promano
01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
If you have an older SIM, you may have to just upgrade to a newer SIM.
T-Mobile may have given out the 32k SIM in the past, and you may have one of them.
Just as well with Cingular customers, I have heard that anyone with a Cingular GSM Phone
that uses the older 32k Cingular SIM, needs to replace the SIM with a 64k Cingular SIM
to gain access to the ATT/Cingular network, or they will only have Cingular access.
ATT Users already have the 64k SIM if it is White.

So a new SIM may be the answer to all of our problems.

Pete...

sojourner753
02-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Hmmm... my ATT sim is blue.
Will this be how they finally get me to give up my great plan? 8O

I've had my National plan since their GSM rolled out.

promano
02-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Hmmm... my ATT sim is blue.
Will this be how they finally get me to give up my great plan? 8O

I've had my National plan since their GSM rolled out.

No, simply call AT&T Customer Service and ask for an upgraded SIM chip.
If you have a plan that you agreed to, you can stay with your plan until it expires.
Just tell them what problems you are experiencing and that you were told that all you needed was a new SIM chip to solve your problems.
The most it can cost you is $25 for the new SIM.