View Full Version : The World is Changing

Jerry Raia
11-18-2004, 11:00 PM
You have to wonder what effect all of the chatter on this board and others has had on the SmartPhone industry. I am waiting at the time of this writing for my replacement MPx220 that is being sent to me over night.

Even with all the confusion and conflicting stories do you think we would have gotten such a quick response if there was no medium like this board? <PAGEBREAK>

Were it not for this and other boards we would have all been sitting alone with our phones (well hopefully not ONLY our phones :) ) maybe just dealing with the problem or trying to call somebody to get help.

Instead we have this forum that I'm sure the companies involved read. I'm convinced it has an effect. If they are reading it they know potential customers are reading it. This is information a potential customer would never have seen 10 or so years ago.

What do you think?

Ben
11-18-2004, 11:15 PM
What do you think?

I think you are right. This website is an invaluable service to those who visit and also to those who manufacture products for this market. Technology has an amazing ability to simplify business, increase efficiency, and improve the quality of life for everyone. I hope that powerful individuals at major companies in the industry have people who check these boards regularly. It saves them hundreds or millions of dollars in focus groups and research (the old fashioned way of getting such great information) when they listen to the great ideas and suggestions thrown out for free by the visitors to this site.

The only real tragedy of technology is when some companies (who shall remain unnamed) seem to think they can treat the general public as their quality control and that a product roll out can be of beta-test quality because they will hear the complaints and have a chance to fix them later. That is a dangerous precedent that began with a popular operating system (which shall also remain unnamed) that was riddled with security flaws and stability issues, but sold and then resold as later versions as the problems were identified and ironed out for free by helpful folks on boards like this one.

We, the consumers, don't mind being free focus groups and information exchanges, but it is a little much for some to ask us be their basic quality control as well.

Bwatts
11-19-2004, 03:58 AM
I would like to know who did you contact to get an updaded mpx220.

Mike Temporale
11-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Hey Ben, you have a really good point there. If the manufacturers embraced sites like this a little more, they could save a lot of money on the focus groups and testing cycles that they currently (or recently) have to do.

Forums like these, and a community of readers like we have here, can make a big difference in how well a product is received and the average person can find support for this device.

Jerry Raia
11-19-2004, 04:29 AM
I would like to know who did you contact to get an updaded mpx220.

I ended up at Cingular Directly at (800) 801-1101. Interestingly though I was transfered directly there by BestBuy

Kris Kumar
11-19-2004, 05:04 AM
Big or small, all corporations "can" learn a lot by following the thoughts of the readers on our forums and on the others like ours.

But I don't think that is happening, more so in the case of big corporations. I am sure they see the online community; the bloggers and the forumists a minority. :-(

In a dejected state right now because of the way certain corporationS treated me this evening.

Kris Kumar
11-19-2004, 05:15 AM
Were it not for this and other boards we would have all been sitting alone with our phones..

You got that right. :)

...or trying to call somebody to get help.

Well that would not work out in my case. My cellphone has a low ear piece volume and the person at the other end can barely hear me.
:rotfl:

Jerry Raia
11-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Well that would not work out in my case. My cellphone has a low ear piece volume and the person at the other end can barely hear me.

Hmmmm, I see the dilemma.