View Full Version : Motorola’s Planning a RAZR-Based Smartphone

Mike Temporale
11-13-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/5573682046967882/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/5573682046967882/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We just got some scoopage on a Motorola smartphone that is coming out next year. A source deep within the company has confirmed for us that they’re gunning for RIM with a smartphone, codenamed “RAZRberry” that’s just as thin and has the same styling as their RAZR V3 cellphone, but is wide enough to fit a QWERTY mini-keyboard. Our source couldn’t confirm the operating system, but the RAZRberry is likely to run on some flavor of Windows Mobile and come out sometime in the middle of 2005."</i><br /><br />Motorola has my attention now! I was really interested in the MPx220, but that's faded off with the release of the Audiovox/C500. However, I would love to see a Windows Mobile Smartphone based on the RAZR design. :D

PPCMD
11-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Sounds sweet, but I doubt mid 2005 will happen unless they already had it in place and nearly done. The MPX220 took way too long to get done. Either way I will add that to my phone purchases next year and get the MPX220 next week.

Bushrod
11-13-2004, 04:47 PM
That's why I'll be satisfied with my MPx200 for a few more months. There's always somethin new just around the corner! I'd rather wait for now.

MS Mobiles
11-13-2004, 05:16 PM
is wide enough to fit a QWERTY mini-keyboard.

this is what I am dreaming about for 2 years already: to have MS Smartphone that has attachable thumb-keyboard.

Keyboard in voq is unusable and it is too big device, so attachable thumb QWERTY keyboard or built-in QWERTY keyboard (without the hinge in the middle) would be super!

Oh, I keep dreaming...

Kris Kumar
11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
RAZR + Windows Mobile + BlackBerry = Wow 8O

All the right ingredients. Moto seems to have all the right ideas: MPx220, MPx and now this. But I am concerned about their execution skills.

As for the keyboard, they can go with the BlackBerry 7100 style keyboard. Two letters per key. Forgetting what it is called.

Mike Temporale
11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
this is what I am dreaming about for 2 years already: to have MS Smartphone that has attachable thumb-keyboard.

The keyboard would be a really cool option, and when you add the small footprint, and strong casing... Oh, If this is real, it's going to be amazing. 8)

Jerry Raia
11-24-2004, 04:38 PM
In view of recent events. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Kris Kumar
11-24-2004, 06:57 PM
In view of recent events. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I second that.

Moto seems to have a very good hardware engineering team. And also is good when it comes to being creative about product designs.

But the integration, software and testing is in the dumps!