View Full Version : PLEASE HELP MODEM Trouble I600

fjpoole
11-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Help please -

Recently replaced my POS Kyocera 7135 with an Samsung SCH -I600 -

Problem number one - I need to use my i600 as a modem for my laptop.

My laptop is a Gateway M275 and I have a brand new I600 running 2003 -

I followed the instruction for installation of the modem drivers - XP recognizes the Samsung CDMA device but when I point the wizard to the CD ROM that has the drivers on it - it does not recognize them as valid drivers.

Verizon seems dumb founded - I have spoken with 3 different Data tech support people.

Samsung says they do not support the i600 as a modem!!!! Can you believe that ?

Question - does anone have the Correct drivers? I suspect there may be an issue with the updated 2003 I600 software.

Anyway anything you can to to help I would seriously appreciate it.

I will have to get a different device if there is no solution or a different wireless provider.

HELP!!!

Jason Dunn
11-09-2004, 05:46 PM
I really wish I could help you, but I've never used an i600 and I can't because my local CDMA provider doesn't activate CDMA phones that they don't sell. <sigh>

ARW
11-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Help please -

Recently replaced my POS Kyocera 7135 with an Samsung SCH -I600 -

Problem number one - I need to use my i600 as a modem for my laptop.

My laptop is a Gateway M275 and I have a brand new I600 running 2003 -

I followed the instruction for installation of the modem drivers - XP recognizes the Samsung CDMA device but when I point the wizard to the CD ROM that has the drivers on it - it does not recognize them as valid drivers.

Verizon seems dumb founded - I have spoken with 3 different Data tech support people.

Samsung says they do not support the i600 as a modem!!!! Can you believe that ?

Question - does anone have the Correct drivers? I suspect there may be an issue with the updated 2003 I600 software.

Anyway anything you can to to help I would seriously appreciate it.

I will have to get a different device if there is no solution or a different wireless provider.

HELP!!!

Good move ditching the Kyo. The i600 isn't perfect, but with 2003 I find it to be pretty good.

The i600 will most definitely work as a modem. I've been doing it with mine for almost a year now. Both with WM02 and 03. I'm running XP and used the drivers from the CD as per the instructions that were shared here a year ago.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33716

I would always caution people to take anything Verizon or Samsung tells you with a giant grain of salt. Sometimes the reps are just plain ignorant, sometimes constrained by policy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jerry Raia
11-09-2004, 06:30 PM
I would always caution people to take anything Verizon or Samsung tells you with a giant grain of salt. Sometimes the reps are just plain ignorant, sometimes constrained by policy.

You are being generous there :lol:

fjpoole
11-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Well I figured it out - kinda!

First off the drivers on the CD that is shipped with the new i600 with 2003 will not work.

Verizon has NO CLUE! - Samsung will not support the i600 with Verizon as a Modem. NICE EH?

Well I found some Samsung i700 drivers on the net - and believe it or not - following the instrunctions orginally placed on this site using the drivers I came across it worked!

Now there may have been i600 drivers in the same folder as the i700 - but the ones shipped with the i600 from VERIZON no longer work with teh updated phone.

SO there you have it -

IS there somewhere I can upload these files here so others can have access to them?

Jason Dunn
11-10-2004, 04:27 AM
IS there somewhere I can upload these files here so others can have access to them?

Send them to us (news@) and we'll put them on the site. Glad to hear you got it working!

Jason Dunn
11-10-2004, 05:20 AM
Ok, you can download the file here:

www.smartphonethoughts.com/downloads/samsung-usb-drivers.zip

Janak Parekh
11-10-2004, 06:51 PM
First off the drivers on the CD that is shipped with the new i600 with 2003 will not work.
I think the main problem here is that the CD that comes in the box is still the 2002 version. :( I just bought an i600 that was preflashed to 2003, and I didn't touch the CDs. In my case, I had the modem driver from my i700 WM2003 upgrade, and they worked perfectly. I'd have sent them to you, but I see you already grabbed a set. :D

Verizon has NO CLUE! - Samsung will not support the i600 with Verizon as a Modem. NICE EH?
Not surprising. They want you to use their PC cards and $80 service for unlimited 1xRTT. The data-enabled phones (i600, i700, Treo, etc.) are kind of a backdoor to their cheaper ($45) Smartphone plan.

--janak