View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS will not work with MPX220

otty
11-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I just received the CoPilot Live Bluetooth GPS for Smartphone. I was looking forward to utilizing the GPS as I have been very happy with the GPS I used on my Pocket PC. After being unable to get the software to run after installation, I called CoPilot tech support and after many attempts at reaching them I was informed that the MPX220 bluetooth is defective and will not work with any brand of Bluetooth GPS. It's particularly annoying because I spoke with sales prior to ordering and they said that it works great with the MPX220. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any luck with a GPS and this phone. I had hoped to write a review for everyone once I used it. I guess that is not going to happen. IF YOU HAVE AN MPX220 BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT PURCHASING A GPS. The manufacurer is giving me a full refund including shipping both ways.

Kris Kumar
11-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I have Socket BT GPS and Pocket Streets 2005. And this combination works with my MPx220 BT.

However I must add that Mapopolis did not work. It could not detect the BT GPS COM port.

But I have never had problem with the Pocket Streets. It auto detects the port. Wish it would show the COM port that it is using.

darthjedi
11-10-2004, 05:06 PM
I just received the CoPilot Live Bluetooth GPS for Smartphone. I was looking forward to utilizing the GPS as I have been very happy with the GPS I used on my Pocket PC. After being unable to get the software to run after installation, I called CoPilot tech support and after many attempts at reaching them I was informed that the MPX220 bluetooth is defective and will not work with any brand of Bluetooth GPS. It's particularly annoying because I spoke with sales prior to ordering and they said that it works great with the MPX220. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any luck with a GPS and this phone. I had hoped to write a review for everyone once I used it. I guess that is not going to happen. IF YOU HAVE AN MPX220 BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT PURCHASING A GPS. The manufacurer is giving me a full refund including shipping both ways. I have copilot and the MPX220 also. I was told the same thing when I placed my order. Microsoft seems to know how to make it work because I just got it to work with pocket streets. I am going to give a call to ALK and let them know it works with pocket streets so they can as them how to get it to work in copilot.

11-10-2004, 10:27 PM
I apologize for any confusion with the release of CoPilot Live | Smartphone and the compatibility issue otty and darthjedi face.

We released our Smartphone product in Europe before North America--MPx220 units in EU do support Bluetooth serial connections, which is what we currently require for connection to our BT GPS. Although we figured that out before our product launch in North America, the information was not completely absorbed before we started taking orders.

Our sales people are now well-versed in the compatibility problems with the NA MPx220 and will not recommend our product to customers who have that phone. We've also updated our website with notifications about the incompatibility; the last thing we want to do is confuse people and ship a product that doesn't work.

Right now we're taking a two-pronged approach, urging the manufacturer to release a ROM update that will support serial BT connections while also trying to decipher MSFT's approach with Pocket Streets.

For Pocket Streets they're using a helper app that connects in ways we haven't completely sorted out yet, but we're getting close. No official dates but if the latter strategy works we'll post a patch ASAP.

Again, I apologize for the confusion and hope that once we've sorted out the connection problems you'll give CoPilot a second look.

Michael Goodman
Product Manager, CoPilot Solutions
ALK Technologies, Inc.
[email protected]

otty
11-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Congratulations, to ALK for addressing the problem so promptly. It looks like they got caught in the various limitations different cellphone companies place on their equipment. The mark of a good company is not whether a mistake happens, but what they do about it if it does. It seems like ALK is committed to dealing with customer problems. I got no hassle at all about their paying all shipping costs to return the item. I'm just hoping they will find a fix so that I can use their product.

Kris Kumar
11-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Again, I apologize for the confusion and hope that once we've sorted out the connection problems you'll give CoPilot a second look.

Michael Goodman
ALK Technologies, Inc.
[email protected]

Thanks Michael, and kudos to ALK for taking the right steps. :-)

Unlike Moto which has kept quiet over the issues surrounding the MPx220. <boo> Its good to see that ALK is trying to find a solution to a problem, which was not induced by them. Keep up the good work!

TheDukeZip
11-11-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm one of the people that ordered the Smartphone edition of CoPilot Live before this issue became known... I've held onto it because it seems as though one way or another this issue is going to get resolved.

At the forum listed underneath this link, someone has posted a registry hack that is supposed to work with Mapopolis. I haven't managed to get it to work with CoPilot, but I only tried it briefly this morning. If anything DOES succeed in getting it working, please post!

http://www.mpx200.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5436&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20&sid=049d4190c85a483a4884a079d9b95b77

Update: I managed to get CoPilot to work on my mpx220 using the registry hack after finding the default COM setting in the registry, mine was COM6

darthjedi
11-12-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm one of the people that ordered the Smartphone edition of CoPilot Live before this issue became known... I've held onto it because it seems as though one way or another this issue is going to get resolved.

At the forum listed underneath this link, someone has posted a registry hack that is supposed to work with Mapopolis. I haven't managed to get it to work with CoPilot, but I only tried it briefly this morning. If anything DOES succeed in getting it working, please post!

http://www.mpx200.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5436&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20&sid=049d4190c85a483a4884a079d9b95b77

Update: I managed to get CoPilot to work on my mpx220 using the registry hack after finding the default COM setting in the registry, mine was COM6
mine is working as well. It has worked flawlessly last night and this morning.

otty
11-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Darthjedi,

Can you please tell me exactly how you got it to work. I have not returned mine yet, so I would love to try it.

TheDukeZip
11-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Darthjedi,

Can you please tell me exactly how you got it to work. I have not returned mine yet, so I would love to try it.

Otty,
The hack is to use a regedit editor
(PHMRegEdit for Smartphone), going to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Bluetooth and change the two values to '1'. Then do a repair with the GPS unit (first delete it, then search, and then pair). Two new values should appear in that key. In addition, the previous values have now changed to '2'. Check your default COM port in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Serial\Ports It appears most people's default on the 220 is COM6. Use this port in your software and you're good to go!

It appears Motorola unbranded firmware only requires you to do this once, Cingular firmware requires you to repeat this process every time you turn off and then turn on the phone again. Let us know your results. I have unbranded firmware, and it only required this step once.

otty
11-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Where does one get the registry editor software?

TheDukeZip
11-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info. Where does one get the registry editor software?

This is the best one I've seen:

http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/

sopure
11-14-2004, 06:01 AM
I would like to know if this "com 6" will work for "mobile phone tools"
I am trying to use my moto mpx220 as a bluetooth modem with no luck.
current version of MPT is 3.11h.
Any thoughts?????

Kris Kumar
11-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Any thoughts?????

What is the device that you are using: laptop or Pocket PC?

I am not used to Mobile Phone Tools. I have used the native Windows XP native dial up features and Pocket PC's native features.

You can check out the Bluetooth guides at http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

Jerry Raia
11-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Any thoughts?????

Mobile Phone Tools doesn't seem to recognize the 220 in my attempts to use it.

11-17-2004, 06:07 PM
We have a revised version of the software to address this problem; we believe we've been able to solve it on our side.

If anyone reading this is an EXISTING CoPilot Live | Smartphone user, has an MPx220 and would like to help us test out the new version, please email:

[email protected]

Needs to be existing users only as we'll be emailing a few revised files to install and test (no CDs will be sent out).

Thanks in advance!

Michael Goodman
ALK Technologies, Inc.

smartphone fan
11-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Darthjedi,

Otty,
The hack is to use a regedit editor
(PHMRegEdit for Smartphone), going to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Bluetooth and change the two values to '1'. Then do a repair with the GPS unit (first delete it, then search, and then pair). Two new values should appear in that key. In addition, the previous values have now changed to '2'. Check your default COM port in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\Serial\Ports It appears most people's default on the 220 is COM6. Use this port in your software and you're good to go!

It appears Motorola unbranded firmware only requires you to do this once, Cingular firmware requires you to repeat this process every time you turn off and then turn on the phone again. Let us know your results. I have unbranded firmware, and it only required this step once.

How and where did you purchase an unbranded MPX 220. I am looking to buy one.

TheDukeZip
11-19-2004, 05:22 PM

I got mine on eBay. It's a bit more expensive than getting it from your service provider but from past experience with the v600 I've found it to be worth it (plus if you travel, you can pick up a prepaid SIM in the country you're staying in )

smartphone fan
11-20-2004, 02:19 PM

I got mine on eBay. It's a bit more expensive than getting it from your service provider but from past experience with the v600 I've found it to be worth it (plus if you travel, you can pick up a prepaid SIM in the country you're staying in )

Which seller on EBAY had the generic unbranded unlocked mpx220?

Kris Kumar
11-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Which seller on EBAY had the generic unbranded unlocked mpx220?

All the MPx220s in the BB stores are unlocked. As for branding it is very minimal, barely noticeable.

Given the current situation, I would wait and see if a reputable online store starts selling it. For getting firmware updates from Moto or to get it flashed from them, you would need the receipt or proof of purchase. E-Bay may not provide you with one.

MrColumbo
06-16-2005, 09:36 PM
I´ve changed the 2 registry values to 1 and it worked. But then I had to reboot my mpx220 and after that it did not work anymore. I even could not start the BT Serial Port Setup (when I try to start it nothing happens). Well - then I changed the two values to 1 again and deleted the 2 new entries (the idea was to change everything back to where I started from).
It still did not work so I deleted the key at HKLM\software\bluetooth\device ....well...it still does not work :cry:
I found bthbond.exe which still work but does not help .....it basically does not add the registry values again and does not modify the 2 values back to 1 (although I can delete or add my gps device there). What do I need to reset everything and make it working again. :roll:

MrColumbo
06-16-2005, 10:54 PM
I made sure that these 4 values are there

BthVCOMNAP 1 (Dword)
BthVCOMSAP 1 (Dword)
IsBthVCOMActive 1 (Dword)
IsBthVCOMSetup 1 (Dword)

Now I can start BT SerialPortSetup again

:)