View Full Version : How do you record phone calls with Smt 5600?

Pr0phetX
11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
i know i have been able to do this with all my other cell phones... is this possible on smartphones. more importantly the audiovox smt 5600

aristoBrat
11-08-2004, 02:52 AM
No Windows Mobile Smartphone (at this time) can record conversations...

Mike Temporale
11-08-2004, 02:57 AM

For that matter, can any phone? Isn't this considered a privacy / legal issue? It's my understanding that you can't record a conversation without the consent of the other party.

AMelis
11-08-2004, 06:07 AM

For that matter, can any phone? Isn't this considered a privacy / legal issue? It's my understanding that you can't record a conversation without the consent of the other party.

I believe that would change from state to state. Some allow single party consent - however restrict that the information cannot be publicized. You may remember the whole thing about Monica Lewinsky being taped by Linda Tripp. Apparently where she taped it was not legal, but where she lived it was. OTOH, IANAL!!

Pr0phetX
11-08-2004, 06:14 AM
just about everyphone i've owned that can record memos could..se t68i just to name one.

Mike Temporale
11-08-2004, 12:02 PM
just about everyphone i've owned that can record memos could..se t68i just to name one.

Ya, the Smartphone can record memo's too, but conversations are totaly different. At least, that's my understanding. :)

sullivanpt
11-08-2004, 09:32 PM
I find this annoying. My old XDA could record conversations, my old Samsung 8500 (late 90's PCS phone) could record conversations. It's a very useful feature, especially when used by mutually consenting parties.

Example (Almost real life, actual conversation),
"Can I give you my phone number"
"I'm driving, I can't write it down, right now"
"I thought you owned a $500 Microsoft Smartphone?! My cheap, free with service, phone can record calls. Boy I bet you feel cheated!!"

:D

mbranscum
11-26-2004, 01:56 AM
I find this annoying. My old XDA could record conversations, my old Samsung 8500 (late 90's PCS phone) could record conversations. It's a very useful feature, especially when used by mutually consenting parties.

Example (Almost real life, actual conversation),
"Can I give you my phone number"
"I'm driving, I can't write it down, right now"
"I thought you owned a $500 Microsoft Smartphone?! My cheap, free with service, phone can record calls. Boy I bet you feel cheated!!"

:D

Symbian OS has some good programs for this. I use one on my Nokia 6620 phone. I'm really suprised the MS phones do not have theis ability.

The legal issues DO vary from state to state. I am a detective in Arkansas. In our state it's leagal as long as ONE of the parties is aware of the recording.

algorhythm
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Almost any newer phone can record conversations. My old SE T616 could, and my SP3 can.

Problem is, (a) limited memory means only a short conversation, and (b) it's a proprietary format, which means you can't simply export it to an MP3 or other easy-to-deal-with file.

As to legality, it's TOTALLY legal to record a phone conversation anywhere in the US. What is =not= legal is to attempt to use that recording in any legal fashion...unless you have asked for and received permission from the other party to record them (and recorded the question and their reply). That's why people will always ask, "do I have your permission to record this conversation...?"

I'm a writer....I record phone interviews all the time, and transcribe them later. There's no law against it, as long as I'm not using it to incriminate someone.

Go to Radio Shuck and pick up their little interface that plugs into the handsfree jack. Plug the handsfree and an external recorder into it. It's low tech, but it works.

joeonsunset
12-26-2004, 06:10 PM
First off, whether or not it's legal to record a phone conversation without the consent of one or both parties in one jurisdiction or another shouldn't have anything to do with whether the Smartphone can record a conversation... afterall, it's not illegal anywhere to record a conversation with the consent of the parties.

Next, even my Symbian-OS Nokia phone could record phone conversations (in .AMR format, which is easily convertable.) I'm shocked that the windows smartphone can't! Sounds like we need another OS-hole plugging utility (just like with photo caller ID. sigh.)

To algo: it is illegal in some juridictions to record a phone conversation without the consent of both parties even if you don't use the recording (check out California in the website below... and the penalty is stiff: $2500 & up to a year. In California, recording is the first count. Disclosure would be a second. Yipes!)

EDIT: For the curious, here's a website that provides information on US federal and state conversation-recording laws: http://www.rcfp.org/taping

algorhythm
12-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Joe. While I'm one of those journalists who always asks if it's okay to record, I always figured I was doing it out of common courtesy....as it turns out, I was covering my own butt, too. (whew!)

In any case, recording to .AMR format is, IMHO, a kludge. Yes, it can be converted (though I'm not sure I'd agree it's easily done), but sound quality sucks and most phones' memory is limited. I'd rather go for a more high-tech solution, though I've yet to get BT gateway to work.

joeonsunset
12-28-2004, 05:34 AM
:-) I, on the other hand, never have the need to record phone conversations. But I'm definately interested in being able to should the need ever arise! Also, that kind of law is pretty interesting...

You're right... I shouldn't have said "easily" converted. I meant it could be converted in only one step, not that the conversion software was widely available or nice to use. I think Nokia makes a media conversion app that does the job.

Also it's true about memory. 'Course if your phone lives up to the name "smartphone" it should have enough memory to record a couple of conversations. Unfortnately, the memory requirement is met nicely by my SMT5600... it's just that the dorks at MS didn't put in a conversation recorder!!! They're nuts!