View Full Version : Quickly Toggle Bluetooth State

Mike Temporale
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=99493&' target='_blank'>http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=99493&</a><br /><br /></div><i>"This utility provides a very quick and easy way to turn Bluetooth on and off. Run it and it will toggle BT from off to on and from on to off as appropriate. The only indications of it working are a) The word BTToggle appears in the title bar at the top of the screen (briefly) b) the bluetooth icon will appear/disappear in the title bar as appropriate."</i><br /><br />MrMagoo over at MoDaCo has posted this tool for quickly toggling your bluetooth state. (You need to be a MoDaCo member to download this.) This sounds like a handy thing to have, but is there not an easier way? I don't have Bluetooth on my Smartphone, but I think you can achieve this without downloading this tool. Use a file manager, and location the Bluetooth application, create a shortcut and place it in your start menu. Then you can easily add it to the speed dial. Anyone with Bluetooth, care to give my "tool" a try? :wink:

apeguero
11-04-2004, 05:38 PM
I don't see the link for the download of this utility. Is there a link?

Mike Temporale
11-04-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't see the link for the download of this utility. Is there a link?

(You need to be a MoDaCo member to download this.) :wink:

mrlawrence
11-04-2004, 06:07 PM
At least for the Audiovox 5600 running the 2003 OS, Bluetooth is an entry in the settings folder. Thus, the OS gives no option to set a shortcut to its evokation.

This sounds like a handy thing to have, but is there not an easier way? I don't have Bluetooth on my Smartphone, but I think you can achieve this without downloading this tool. Use a file manager, and location the Bluetooth application, create a shortcut and place it in your start menu. Then you can easily add it to the speed dial. Anyone with Bluetooth, care to give my "tool" a try? :wink:

Mike Temporale
11-04-2004, 06:10 PM
At least for the Audiovox 5600 running the 2003 OS, Bluetooth is an entry in the settings folder. Thus, the OS gives no option to set a shortcut to its evokation.

Sure, that's the same way it is on my PPC. But, there still has to be an application behind that icon. Look for a file with the same icon as the one in the settings folder, and it should end in exe, or com.

Kris Kumar
11-04-2004, 07:04 PM
This is a cool application. What I like is that once this app is attached to the speed dial, each time you speed dial the app, it toggles BT on or off. This definitely saves time.

Mike, I remember looking for the exe, but did not find it. On the Smartphones, the control panel settings applications/applets are not real individual applications. The device renders the settings dialog box on the fly using appropriate .cpl.xml file and a common control panel exe. This .cpl.xml (in case of BT it is btmgmt.cpl.xml) has the titles for the boxes, the possible values etc, the common control panel exe reads the xml file and shows the dialog box, once the user makes the changes, the common exe applies the changes.

Not sure if the above makes sense. But bottomline it is not a standalone exe. Atleast I could'nt find it. I will try to look for it again later today. Or maybe find the command line to trigger the common control panel exe with the btmgmt.cp.xml.

cmorris
11-05-2004, 12:37 AM
I'm using this on a Audiovox SMT 5600 and it works great.

This sounds like a handy thing to have, but is there not an easier way? I don't have Bluetooth on my Smartphone, but I think you can achieve this without downloading this tool. Use a file manager, and location the Bluetooth application, create a shortcut and place it in your start menu. Then you can easily add it to the speed dial. Anyone with Bluetooth, care to give my "tool" a try? :wink:

Even if we could find the exe, I don't think that would be quicker. It would get you into the bluetooth settings page, but you'd still have to toggle between On, Off, Discoverable and then hit done to accept.

Jerry Raia
11-05-2004, 12:20 PM
This is very handy. I like it alot. I have it as a shortcut on my homescreen.

Mike Temporale
11-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Even if we could find the exe, I don't think that would be quicker. It would get you into the bluetooth settings page, but you'd still have to toggle between On, Off, Discoverable and then hit done to accept.

oh... See, that's the problem with speaking when you don't have Bluetooth. On my Pocket PC, all I have to do, is tap the icon, and it activates Bluetooth, and opens the Bluetooth manager all at once. I guess it's not the same here. :oops:

popabawa
11-05-2004, 02:30 PM
On my Pocket PC, all I have to do, is tap the icon, and it activates Bluetooth, and opens the Bluetooth manager all at once. I guess it's not the same here.

Yup! Not quite the same unfortunately.

BTtoggle is a great little app. When combined with XBar, I can automatically toggle BT to 'on' when I know I'll be in the car so as long as I turn my headset on, I'm good to go! The number of calls I missed because my phone's BT was turned 'off' even though my headset was on...

Jerry Raia
11-08-2004, 04:02 AM
I just saw a toggle program that is for sale on Handango for $1.98

Gator5000e
12-03-2004, 08:36 PM
I use my phone with my Hands Free Link in my Acura. The Acura manual says to have the phone in the Discoverable mode. Does this program allow that as a choice? Is turning BT on the same as being discoverable?

Thanks for any info.

Jerry Raia
12-03-2004, 09:50 PM
The freebee does not. I don't know about the one on Handango.