View Full Version : Why Would I Need 2 SIM Cards In My Phone?

Mike Temporale
11-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Can someone shed a little light on this for me? I recently came across a number of websites selling Dual SIM adapters. These allow you to run your phone with 2 SIM cards at the same time.

But, Why?!

Mr.Phil
11-03-2004, 08:17 PM
My first guess would be storage space for more contacts/java progs/etc. I still remember the days of 16k SIM cards. Not all phones are blessed with MMC/SD and 32MB of flash.

MitzEclipse
11-09-2004, 11:16 PM
one thought would be y ou can use two phone numbers on the same phone, without swapping it out (or taking out the battery)

Ie: you can have a phone number w/ tmo and one with aws - one work and one personal. you can shut down the phone, restart w/ the other sim and bam - you have your 2nd line.

this of course doesn't let you use the two sims simultaneously.

Jerry Raia
11-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Cant you have 2 #'s on one sim??

Mike Temporale
11-10-2004, 02:50 AM
I just did another google search, hoping to find a better answer... I found this site: http://ucables.com/products/dualsims/index.htm

The Dual SIM cover or twin sim cover, is the newest solution for fitting 2 SIMs into one phone. Just by pressing On/Off button (Phone Power Switch) you can Select between 2 Sim cards.

So that's how it works. But I still don't know why. :?

encece
11-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Many people have two cell phones. One for business and one for personal. Alot of people in the UK do this though I never knew anyone here in the US to do it. SOme companies dont allow personal calls on business phones I guess.

I was under the impression that SIM cards were capable of holding 2 cell phone numbers...and Smartphones are capable of switching between the two lines. (It used to be by holding down the # key on my Orange phone.)

Maybe it's a European thing.

Jerry Raia
11-10-2004, 06:37 AM
I was under the same impression. Like a CDMA phone NAM could hold from 2 to 4 different phone numbers.

scotth_uk
12-02-2004, 05:09 PM
As I European user, I feel that I can add some information here. ;-)

Some of the networks here have some very cheap deals from time to time, so you buy a service and use that for outbound calls.

Primary SIM is on a basic plan - sub £15 per month, just to have the number for incoming calls.

Secondary SIM is on a value plan with loads of cheap/free minutes available. Turn the Caller ID off, and no one will ever find out this number.

For some friends of mine it is as simple as having two numbers for different reasons - work and personal. If they change jobs, sometimes they dont want to take that number with them - would rather have a personal number stay the same regardless of job.

Nothing worse than being on holiday in a different time zone and having some temp from the office call to speak to you about your expenses at 4am.

expvideo
12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
In the US, the main purpose of that would again be value. For example, say you are hooked up on an AWESOME plan with AT&T (Cingular), with lots of minutes at a low price. But say you also NEED internet access on your phone... AT&T internet isn't at all cheap. T-Mobile, however, is 20-30 for unlimited. So you get hooked up with that. Now you have two sim cards. One for talking and one for internet.

Or of course we have people that have a business line and a personal line, but don't want the hassel of carrying two phones. (for example, I can't answer personal calls at work so I don't need my personal sim, and I'm not dedicated enough to answer business calls outside of work, so I don't need my business sim, therefor I can switch between the two)

But it's mainly for the former. internet plans and voice plans.

Thirdly, some people travel internationally and find it cheaper to just buy a prepaid sim card. This way they have their phone ready, and they can return calls from the prepay sim, without racking up a second mortgage on their phone bill.