View Full Version : The curse of the PDF file.

Jerry Raia
11-02-2004, 12:39 AM
I wonder if anyone out there is as irritated with the proliferation of pdf files showing up on web pages as I am.

You know the situation, you click on a link and then it happens...NOTHING!
You know instantly what you have done, you have clicked on a :bad-words: pdf link. The screen goes white, the hard drive goes into super thrashing mode and you madly click on the little "x" in the corner trying to stop it! But you cant stop it. Oh sure you can bring up task manager eventually and try to kill it but why should you have to do that???

To all webmasters:
This is a plea. Put in big letters on your links "You are about to enter the 12th ring of hell" or some such warning that will alert us we are about to enter the pdf wasteland.

Kris Kumar
11-03-2004, 03:03 PM
:lol:

I am annoyed only when downloading User Guides and PDFs with tons of graphics. (FCC site documents ;-)) Those download slowly. And for some strange reason, you can see the text, but the graphics takes forever to show up. :roll:

I guess Adobe Acrobat reader is bloated.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Not only bloated but old and clumsy. Anything that takes too long to load up is flawed.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Jason posted some tips on how to speed up opening of Adobe PDF docs.

http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5681

That might help your adobe expereince. 8)

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
WoW what a difference! Excellent!

skibee
02-08-2005, 06:57 PM
That's awesome, but still doesn't solve my problem. When i open an PDF file from a web page, for some reason, the blue screen of death appears on my computer and i have to shut both programs down.

Should be a hint that my toshiba just's not cuttin it anymore.

Mike Temporale
02-08-2005, 07:51 PM
That's awesome, but still doesn't solve my problem. When i open an PDF file from a web page, for some reason, the blue screen of death appears on my computer and i have to shut both programs down.

Should be a hint that my toshiba just's not cuttin it anymore.

I would start with uninstalling Adobe Reader, and then re-download and install the latest version. Sounds like something is corrupted.

skibee
02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
I've actually done that -- twice now.
Honestly, I don't open that many PDF files, so its not such a big deal.

Its just annoying when i forget about it and all my work gets lost.